Is Surrogacy for you?
Articles | Home
Only a very caring and unselfish person would even
becoming a surrogate mother. The rewards of giving such an incredible
gift are great, but, so are the stresses and the sacrifices. Being a
surrogate is not easy and it is not for everyone. So, how do you know
if it is for you? The best advice we can give is to think hard about
the many ways being a surrogate will affect your life and do a little
Below, we have listed several important issues you should
take into account when you are trying to decide if becoming a surrogate
is for you. If, after considering everything in this article, you are
still interested in becoming a surrogate and you think you would be a
good candidate, we wish you the best of luck in making your lucky
couple's dreams come true!
Your Physical Health
- How is your health in general?
- Do you have any long-term illnesses that might prevent
from successfully carrying a pregnancy to term?
- Do you have a good reproductive history?
- Did you conceive easily?
- Were your pregnancies and deliveries reasonably easy and
Your Support System
- If you are married, does your husband support your
to be a surrogate?
- If you are not married, do you have someone who you can
talk to for support during the surrogacy?
- If your children are old enough to understand surrogacy,
are they comfortable with the idea of you becoming a surrogate?
- How will it make you feel if/when you are confronted by
others who may disapprove of your being a surrogate?
- How will it make you feel if/when your children are
confronted by others who may disapprove of your being a surrogate?
- Can you be reasonably sure that you are capable of giving
up a child that you will carry for 9 months?
- In traditional surrogacy, you will be the child's genetic
mother. Will it be difficult for you to let go of a child that you have
a genetic link to?
- Will becoming a surrogate cause problems within your
- Will becoming a surrogate cause a great amount of stress
your relationships with those closest to you (family, friends,
- As with any pregnancy, there is always a possiblity of
complications which could result in fertility problems for you down the
road. How would it make you feel to no longer be able to have children
as a result of the surrogacy? How would it affect your marriage?
- If you will be a gestational surrogate, are you prepared
for the medical protocol, which will require daily injections?
- The chances of a multiple pregnancy are increased in
gestational surrogacy. How do you feel about carrying multiples?
- How would you feel if your doctor requires you to
drastically reduce your activity or go on bedrest in the event of a
high-risk or multiple pregnancy?
- If it was discovered that the child you are carrying has
physical defect, how will you feel about terminating the pregnancy?
(Note: If you would not be comfortable terminating the pregnancy, it
does not mean that you will not make a good surrogate. It only means
that you need to find a couple who agrees with your point of view.)
- If you become pregnant with multiples, how would you feel
about selective reduction? (Note: As with abortion, if you are not
comfortable with reduction, it is important that you find a couple who
shares your views.)
| ©1997-2013 Surrogate Mothers Online, LLC