Thread: What is a mock cycle?

showgrace is offline Suspended-invalid E-mail address. Contact admin.

Default What is a mock cycle?

I heard of physical exam was done in one day.

But, I have to get it done in two days. That was according to my period.

I had to take estrase pills virginally. Is that part of physical exam? At the end, they did a trial transfer.

I am really confused right now.

Why would a physical exam required to take pills?

What is a mock cycle?

Up to this point, we don't even have a contact. Should I let them do a real transfer without a contract and transfer fee?

Our clinic doesn't do mock cycles but we do mock transfers. Basically it's just a vaginal U/S that measures the uterus and the cervix. They then use the embryo transfer catheter to make sure it goes in easily through the cervix. It also lets them know if you need a stitch before the transfer if you have a retroverted uterus.

To me a mock cycle just seems like a waste of money, meds and office visits are not cheap. As a GS all you need is suppression and a good lining, that shouldn't need a mock cycle.

I did a mock cycle. The invasivness and degree of monitoring varies from clinic to clinic some don't even do them others REQUIRE them..

I did a fully medicated mock cycle with labs ultrasounds and ending in a biposy of the lining that is the most invasive mock cyle there is. Some mock cycles consist of some form of estrogen followed by lining checks and that is it like i said it varies from clinic to clinic.. A mock transfer is where the simulate an actual transfer without embryo's.. They take the catheter and insert into the uterus to make sure it is the right size and they have no problems during hte actual transfers when embryo's are involved..

Quote Originally Posted by LeAnn View Post
    I did a mock cycle. The invasivness and degree of monitoring varies from clinic to clinic some don't even do them others REQUIRE them..

I did a fully medicated mock cycle with labs ultrasounds and ending in a biposy of the lining that is the most invasive mock cyle there is. Some mock cycles consist of some form of estrogen followed by lining checks and that is it like i said it varies from clinic to clinic.. A mock transfer is where the simulate an actual transfer without embryo's.. They take the catheter and insert into the uterus to make sure it is the right size and they have no problems during hte actual transfers when embryo's are involved..
    I'm curious why they would need to do a biopsy of the lining??? Sounds like a procedure that is not necessary, but I'm sure definately not cheap.

I think every clinic is different on if/what the mock cycle includes. My mock cycle (with RMA) was exactly like a regular cycle except that at the end I had a period -- I didn't have an endo biopsy, but some RE's do it. I think it gives them an idea of what the lining composition is like. I had internal scans every two-three days for both mock and real cycles and took the same meds for each (like I said until the very end - since there wasn't a transafer)

Another thing that people ask about is a mock transfer - (also called a catheter check) which is when the RE tries a catheter (that will transfer the embies) to see how long it needs to be and the curve if any.....it's sometimes considered an "invasive" procedure because there is a risk for infection and it's very much like the transfer itself.

I hope that helped and good luck!!! :)

Don't pursue happiness ~ create it. (from my Fortune Cookie 9/25/09)

Quote Originally Posted by tiggermom View Post
    I'm curious why they would need to do a biopsy of the lining??? Sounds like a procedure that is not necessary, but I'm sure definately not cheap.
    It is a requirement of the clinic I was with (Shady Grove) Every GS must do this type of mock ending in a biopsy of the lining. The biopsy and testing was around $600.00 total. It is costly but just something our RE requires with the carriers in their program (even if you have cycled before with another RE). With carriers they want everything they can possibly control to be A plus BEFORE the actual transfer. They think it is cheaper to eliminate any possible issues and thus cheaper than doing a cycle doomed to fail if my body weren't responding to the meds like it should.

ALSO when you do a mock OR regular cycle they can check your E2 levels and P4 levels (progesterone) with lab work however with a biposy they actually take a piece of the lining and they test it and look at it under a mircroscope. It must have a normal appearance and your hormone levels in the actual linings are tested to make sure the meds from the mock are at the proper levels and doing what they are suppossed to my RE said labs can be misleading and the ONLY way to tell how your body reacts to the meds is to look at the lining itself. For me the biposy WAS painful some say it isn't so bad I cramped really bad way worse than a period but I was really glad they did it. I was so assurred and confident when I went into transfer that I was going with a great lining an I knew my body was responding to the meds just like they should it elimanates questions and elimnates possible factors that can cause a failed cycle so if it does fails they can eliminate a lining issue...

A mock cycle is a cycle in which you take all of the medications you would eventually take in the actually treatment cycle, but instead of any embryos being transferred, an endometrial (uterine) biopsy is performed to make sure that all the medications have had the desired effect in terms of the uterine lining. If they did, then the same medications are used for the real cycle. If not, the meds are adjusted, and the process is repeated until the biopsy is perfect. OUCH.

A mock transfer is different, much simpler, and not painful at all. There are no meds involved, but an empty transfer catheter is simply inserted through the cervix, into your uterus to map the cervix and make note of its length, shape and directionality, all factors that will help the RE know exactly how to place the catheter when the embryos are ready to transfer. This way the real transfer can be quick, gentle and therefore more effective.

I do NOT believe in mock cycles because I don’t think they help increase pregnancy rates. However I DO strongly believe in the value of mock transfers because a smooth gentle embryo transfer is really important.