Thread: EMLA cream......

Zoe26

Thumbs up EMLA cream......

Hi ladies,
    Just a quick one here. I had said something before in one of my posts about EMLA cream and someone had mentioned having to have a prescription for it.
    I am not too sure about what the price range is normally but I bought a 30 gram tube over the counter at a drugstore today for $30. It was $11 cheaper than Shoppers Drugmart!
    I got it at an Independant Grocer (Canadian) at the pharmacy.
    Lori

tamara

Smile

Lori ~ It's worth every penny in my opinion!

Good luck!

Tamara
    GS - 23w4d w/a girl

Oh Zoe,
    You bring back such memories for me! lol I am canadian but have lived in the US for the past 12 years and I miss it so much. I haven't seen a shoppers drugmart in forever!
    Hopefully, if I need Emla cream, I can take it from my office (shhh dont tell my boss...lol) Or I can order it from our supplier for wholesale prices.
    BTW, anyone up close to Saskatoon, wanna meet up in August? I'll be up in that area for a family reunion, and hopefully with a small baby belly to tote!

------------------
    Kerri
    Momma to Sienna and McKenna
    SurroMomma for A&M

ali3 is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity - contact admin
    Proud Surro-mom/Auntie of Patrick "Andrew"

EMLA,I got a friend who used it,she had to have her RE call it in for her.Where in the store could you find it,like if you went to Walgreens or some place like that.

Zoe26

I know that the pharmacist said that you can usually go to any pharmacy counter and just ask for it... I called sevral in my town, (and I live in a small town) and every pharmacy carried it. My only advice is to price around.... it seems to jump quite drastically from store to store.
    I stongly recommend it. I leave mine on 1 hour before I do my injection and I generally feel nothing at all.
    Lori

emberlover

Zoe26,
    I just got back yesterday from making a trip to Canada for EMLA cream. I wasn't too bad since it is only about an hour and a half from my house in WA. My question is what pharmacy did you get yours at?? I feel like a fool for just buying it at Shopper's Drugmart!! Thanks for your help!

Lisamie

Question

Ok, now...What is it?

Lisa Mie

------------------

Zoe26

Wink

I got the EMLA cream at a grocery store pharmacy. The name of the grocery store is Independant Grocer. It is a chain of grocery stores in Canada. I have called sevral pharmacies, SHoppers, Pharma Plus, and they all carried it. I know another really cheap place to get drugs is WalMart. They sold it for about the same price as the grocery store.
    EMLA cream is an anesthetic cream you can rub onto your injection site on your hips and it completely numbs the area before you inject. I could not imagine not having it!
    One tube goes a looong way. It will last me a little over a month. You need maybe the amount of your thumbnail then cover it up and an hour later... away ya go!
    Hope this helps a little.
    Lori

erin di

In canada you can get it over the counter, not in the us.
    erin
    gs to 3 girls 1 boy born at 29w1d

TessToo

Actually, that's not true.

EMLA cream is available by prescription in the US. But Ela-Max 5 is available over-the-counter at most big pharmacies. The ingredients in the two creams are just the same, only the name is different.

Most pharmacies do not carry the Ela-Max 5, so you have to call around and find one that will order it for you. It usually takes a week or so to get it in and it costs around $50.

I just used plain old EMLA (thank you IM!) but I know another surrogate who used Ela-Max 5 and she said it was great!

-Tess

ali3 is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity - contact admin
    Proud Surro-mom/Auntie of Patrick "Andrew"

Talking

Ok so the EMLA you have to have a prescription for and the other is over the counter,here in the US.I ask this cause I live in Memphis TN.
    I wonder about in Mexico,my hope soon to be IP are going there today to check prices on the drugs that I will have to take and the IM,I asked the IM to check on the EMLA cream also for me and she said she already thought of it for me.

Anyone here in US finds a drugstore that sales either one let me know,please.

Alicia

Lisamie

Thanks for the explanation of EMLA. I will be sure to find some.

Lisa Mie

------------------

TessToo

I just wanted you to know that I have written to the surro who told me about the Ela-Max 5. I asked here where she got hers from and I'm awaiting a response. I'll let you all know what she says when I hear from her.

You'd think something so incredibly valuable to the shot-takers of the world would not be so difficult to find!

-Tess

TessToo

Hello!

I just heard from her! She said she got her tube at Savon, but that she knows the WalMart pharmacy in her area was willing to order it as well. In fact, WalMart was a few dollars cheaper at the time.

So, let your fingers do the walking and call around to see who will order it for you. I'm sure one of the pharmacies ought to be able to help.

Good luck!

-Tess
    GS 20w0d preggo

ftgsmom

Okay, does anyone know where I can get the Ela-Max 5 online or which chain drugstore has it in the US? I could not find it online and I hate to drag my two little ones to every pharmacy to find it. Thanks!

------------------
    Lynn O

TessToo

Now, THAT I don't know the answer to. I'm not sure what pharmacy will carry it. Have you tried going through the yellow pages and letting your fingers do the walking? I have two little ones to drag with me everywhere and I always call around before actually going shopping for something like this. It really does save time and sanity.

Good luck!

-Tess