Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The proper injection site for intramuscular injection

Default The proper injection site for intramuscular injection

http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/fab/images...y/glutinj1.gif I thought I would post this pic because the question comes up frequently about proper injection site.

Maybe we should make it a sticky??

What a wonderful page!!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Don't pursue happiness ~ create it. (from my Fortune Cookie 9/25/09)

Melissa is offline Bright lights Big City!!!

Thanks I got it right... ;^

Thanks for the link, here is another for reference only
    IM injections
    Maretta GSx6
    Retired/Hysterectomy 1/28/13

New bit of info for anyone who uses Freedom Drug for their fertility meds - go to www.freedommedteach.com; enter your e-mail, the state your clinic is in, and the name of your clinic along with one of your prescription numbers, then you will have access to a online video of instructions for administering the various meds. I thought this was really helpful! :)

Eekinator

Gosh Leann, I sure wish I had legs like the woman in your link!! LOL! Her thighs don't even touch! Great info ladies! Just wondering if anyone has done injections in the thigh before. My experience was not so great with the PIO!!

ven though i have more meat on my thighs then i would like, i cant even imagine sticking that long neddle in my thigh. at least the bum is even more cushioned. only time in life i'm glad i "got back" LOL

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."
    After two years and 4 transfers, Graham was born on my birthday @ 8lb13oz 20in!

Amy,
    I have done injections in my thigh.. I did check with my RE first and was cleared to do so.. I'm a big chicken about sticking the IM needle in my backside myself. However if DH was not available to do the shot (Monday is bowling night) I would put Emela cream on my thigh and do it myself.. The last cycle I actually did it several times and I was just fine. Some women swear not to do it but it worked for me and it was painless. The key I think is warm oil and relaxing that thigh muscle and rub it gently but firmly after...

Eekinator

I think maybe I just hit a bad spot or something. The delestrogen injection was no big deal at all. Did you do the injection in the front or the back of the leg? I think it would be difficult to do it in the back!

Amy
    Here is the proper place for injection in the thigh. This is the exact spot where I did mine. I had no pain or lumps afterwards at this spot..

Default Progesterone ??

Anyone else have to give themselves the IM progesterone? On our last cycle I did these shots into my thigh and had a difficult time walking (although sometimes I got "lucky" and got a magic spot). I am hoping to not do that again cause of various reasons not the least of which was that I looked like I had a stick somewhere it should not be....:yikes: Is it possible to shoot yourself in the hip? I do not have a partner but I have a 14 year old son who has informed me he would be happy to help, but I feel badly about it :( . Any suggestions??

i have never been able to give myself the pio in the hip...i let dh do that cause i just cant get a good angle on it myself. i do give them in the top outer quadrant of my thigh though, and actuially prefer to do them myself this way. its easy to sit and stab. LOL i dont feel any pain with either injection site which has always been a blessing.
    Mom Tater
    GS x 1 for N & S...E born 2002
    GS x 2 for M & D...M and L born 2007

Eekinator

I do most of my shots by myself. I had my DH help on a few of them, but he was making me more nervous and it made it hurt more. So, now I just do it on my own. I've been doing the PIO in the hip. I have decent flexibilty, so I can reach around pretty good. If you're right handed, it may be easier to do it on your right hip cuz you can hit more spots on the side your dominant hand is on. I have been doing the delestrogen in the thigh without much of a problem. I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to sticking myself with the needle. But my 6 y.o. DD likes to watch me do it, so I can't chicken out too bad! She always asks me "Does that hurt, Mommy?" And of course I have to tell her "Not much" as I cringe!! LOL!! I have had a few chicken moments where I stupidly put the needle in very slowly, and even once got it in halfway and pulled it back out. OUCH! I think the freakiest moment for me, was when I went through a vein and blood started spurting out after I pulled the needle out! I've done that about 4 times now! It stops quick, but wow, was I thrown off guard when I saw it for the first time! This stuff is certainly not for the faint of heart! Fun stuff, these needles are!!

I've had many a folk on here tell me I inject in the 'wrong' place...but here is where my clinic, my OB office, AND my mom who is a nurse showed me to inject on me. It's very specific to the person. The above photos are 'nice' for reference, but you should have figure out exactly where on your hiney to make it much, much easier! Here is a photo from last surrogacy of where I inject:

I inject much further 'forward' than most I've seen--on me basically right where the 'seam' of my jeans is on either side. I would HIGHLY recommend going into your OB or local doc and having a 'professional' find the site on you and then draw a circle in permanent marker on each side fo the proper area. Then inject one side first night and the other the next (in the middle the first time) and then you'll always have a 'hole' to shoot around each time for when the marker wears off ;)

If you have more 'forward' hip bones like I do...then you can inject further forward like this and it's SUPER easy to do! I don't even bruise in this location!
    Holly
    Mama to my boys
    GSx2 8/05 and twins 8/07

oh ouchie!! :0 :o

Default Whew

Quote Originally Posted by Eekinator View Post
    I do most of my shots by myself. I had my DH help on a few of them, but he was making me more nervous and it made it hurt more. So, now I just do it on my own. I've been doing the PIO in the hip. I have decent flexibilty, so I can reach around pretty good. If you're right handed, it may be easier to do it on your right hip cuz you can hit more spots on the side your dominant hand is on. I have been doing the delestrogen in the thigh without much of a problem. I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to sticking myself with the needle. But my 6 y.o. DD likes to watch me do it, so I can't chicken out too bad! She always asks me "Does that hurt, Mommy?" And of course I have to tell her "Not much" as I cringe!! LOL!! I have had a few chicken moments where I stupidly put the needle in very slowly, and even once got it in halfway and pulled it back out. OUCH! I think the freakiest moment for me, was when I went through a vein and blood started spurting out after I pulled the needle out! I've done that about 4 times now! It stops quick, but wow, was I thrown off guard when I saw it for the first time! This stuff is certainly not for the faint of heart! Fun stuff, these needles are!!
    I thought I was the only one that had done that blood starting pouring down my thigh and I was WTH!?!?!?! But like you said it stopped quickly otherwise I would have probably called 911 thinking I'd hit an artery goodness.

I do thigh shots too, at first they were so painful, but then the nurse said I wasn't in the right area. Would have been nice if she'd been a bit more detailed BEFOREHAND LOL. Anyway, now they don't hurt really, but I still get lumps.

Great pictures thanks. Tonight I take my first Delestrogen shot :( I really needed the visual it is a big help.

GS for S & T

We're Pregnant :stroller: :boy:
    Due Date July 10
    Delivering in June due to complications

Leann,

The key you said is "Warm Oil"? Do you warm it?

GS for S & T

We're Pregnant :stroller: :boy:
    Due Date July 10
    Delivering in June due to complications