Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $7,500 for a Lawyer??? HELP!!

Default $7,500 for a Lawyer??? HELP!!

My IM just emailed me and told me that the lawyer she just talked to said it would cost her $7,500 for contract, birth order, eskro, background, and insurance checks everything! :yikes:
    Please tell me this is a rip off. My IM did not say who the laywer is, but said a she, who can do contracts in PA. I'm thinking Melissa Bristman ( did I spell that right?)
    Not only that the laywer has a questionaire to be filled out, about, fees, abortion and such.
    Please, can Ya'll recommend any laywers in PA, and about what they cost, for my IM? HELP :praying:

JTPCRH is offline Can I vote on ur marriage

WOW - that seems like a lot to me - certainly significantly more than we paid, and we went with someone who does a lot of surrogacy contracts. Don't have any specific PA referrals for you - but I would get a second estimate.

Jeff

Thanks to Danielle for my signature!

I am telling her that I posted here about it, and to please wait. I think this laywer is a rip off!

We paid very similiar high amount of money on our first journey here in Nj..Tell them to run...that should be a red flag. Our experience was nothing but horrific for the amount of money we paid for ours we got nothing in return other than headache and heartache.. Some laywers can be so nice in begining but once they have your money if there is a problem they will run.

IM to our wonderful GS 'T" hopeful transfer in Spring 08

[url]

OK here we go...JMHO....I personally went on all of the surrogacy sites...including this one and printed out all of the contracts. I then compared them and cut, copy and pasted anything that should be in one and then once my GS and I agreed on the items in the contract, we had a lawyer look them over on each side. It cost us approx $2500 ...$500 for the one to look oover mine being the IM and $2000 for the one in her state and to include the birth order. They both picked up on the same thing that was totally contradicting itself in the contract and we were then both on our way......

Hope this helps.

1 laywer is from Florida and 1 is from Texas is anyone needs info.

Good Luck!!!!

Julie

My portion of the atty fees was $750. Hope it helps. Sounds like an awful lot to me!

I just talked on the phone with my IM and the lawyer is Melissa Brisman.
    Oh my GOd! how can she ask sooo much!! :grr:
    Fortunately, my IM is not going to use her, but can anyone recommend a laywer for my IM here in PA?

IT DOES SEEM LIKE alot her experience may be worth it i am not sure
    I have spent 150,000.00 in the road to a child and i have empty arms'
    So to me nothing shocks me anymore

i am paying 2500.00 for pre birth order alone The contract cost more
    so it winds up being a hefty bill

And just one lil baby will make it all worth it...

sherri

Ugh! I have a contract by her and I would not agree about her experience making the contract worth that much... don't get me wrong-I love working with her office overall but the contract had to be reworded to protect both my IPs and myself.

Baby Daniel arrived 11/16/2008 on his daddy's birthday. 37 weeks and 5 days

It does seem like alot but I can tell you this....without a good strong contract it could cost you or the IP's thousand's in the end!!! I am not saying "you" but anyone that reads this. Make certain you are covered in every way possible!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!

Barb :)
    Proven surro X's 5
    As seen on TV!! :)
    Delivered @ 36 weeks 7lb 7oz girl 3 Sept after a scary diagnosis of possible placenta accreta

I went in the archives, and looked at the poll on her and there's just too many negatives it seems.
    What about Dominic Farole or Lawrence Kalikow, does anyone know anything about these lawyers?
    And is Elizabeths Gardiner's office really close with Melissa Brisman?

For all that the lawyer is offering that price does not seem too over the top.

However, I am sure you all can find another lawyer just as experienced for less.

I know of some CA lawyers who are good just in case. :)
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3
    Sibling Project 2014 Underway

I'm a negative for Brisman - she charges a lot and if you have her hold the escrow, that will be even more!!! I don't know anyone in PA - my attorney, Meryl Rosenberg is in MD, but not sure, she might also be able to do PA.... Good luck!!!
    Erin
    Mom of 3 princesses!
    Wife to the best DH
    GS x 2
    Retired

I agree with slewis78. We spent WELL OVER $100,000 in our quest to have a child, between IUI's, 7 IVFs, surgeries, failed adoption attempts and now surrogacy.
    The whole thing is unfair, but what Melissa charges doesn't seem so outrageous when you look at what we've spent so far over the years.
    We've had no problems with her office, but we also have had a smooth journey so far. The only "problems" have been getting us pregnant! But of course there's nothing a lawyer can do about that!
    Our baby will be worth it when he/she comes into our lives.

JTPCRH is offline Can I vote on ur marriage

Friends of mine are using Larry Kalikow as their PA attorney for a TS. They describe him as nice, but very obsessive (probably a good thing to have in an attorney).
    His # 215 682-9100
    Might want to give him a call - I don't know what he charges.

Jeff

Thanks to Danielle for my signature!

Here's what we paid.

IP's-2k for contracts
    IP's- Pre-birth order- ??
    Surro- 750.00 for contracts
    Surro- pre-birth order- 350.00

Escrow Acct set-up fee 500.00
    $10 per check written.

My first surro journey contract for Ip's cost 3500.00.

Hope this helps.
    GSx1 boy B 11/30/2004
    GSx2 boy B 6/16/2006
    GSx3 boy/boy Twins 6/13/08
    Retired
    Privileged to have helped make miracles

"A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. " Tenneva Jordan

We are doing this indy, and all that's needed is the contract and prebirth order. We can do all that other stuff ourselves, ecspecially if it's going to cost that much. In all honesty, that's the reason I and my IPs went indy to save money.
    It breaks my heart to hear other Ips say they have spent over 100,000 and still no baby!!
    Has anyone any info on Elizabeth Gardiner or Dominic Farole?
    Last edited by Lowboy Love; 03-01-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Gardiner ..when I was dealing with our whole mess with our Brismans office I contacted her several times and never got a response via email and/or vm then I found out that she and Brismans office work together (meaning they recommend eachother and such) not sure how true this is hear say but she did not ever get back to us. larry Kalikow was reasonable and did get back to us right away ..There was also another women in PA but I can't remember her name I can find out if you still are looking and she was reasonable..Also I heard Meryl R from MD who another poster suggested is also pretty good but not sure if she works with PA or not...Good luck

IM to our wonderful GS 'T" hopeful transfer in Spring 08

[url]

I'd like to add my 2cents on this....if you are looking for a great PA attorney who has reasonable fees, then I suggest Jeremy Ross

His e-mail addy is schiffross@hslc.org and he is absolutly wonderful

He's the kind of guy you want representing you. I only know how he works for the GS not the IPs -- we too used MBs office and she is very expensive.

Best wishes

Don't pursue happiness ~ create it. (from my Fortune Cookie 9/25/09)

Red face

That price is totally ridiculous!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Run, run!!

Our son was born on 3-29-13
    Our 6th child...a GIRL...due 1/21/15