Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fees and Compensation, what is average????

Question Fees and Compensation, what is average????

Since we all seem to wonder what the norm is on fees for certain procedures or occurrences during a carrier pregnancy I thought I would just ask all of your opinions.

I no, I no we all have different amounts and there is no set norm. Just what you feel comfortable with and what you feel you need. But lets lay all of that aside and talk real numbers. There are to many of us out here who when just beginning have no idea what is considered fair or needed. I know I had no idea with my first surrogacy. I was very naive and after all the pain and suffering that journey brought to me physically I received nothing to compensate. Only my base comp and let me tell you I was very compassionate.

So I thought if there was a thread out there that would list fees and their average amounts it may help some of the newbies or even some of us beginning another journey.

None of us want to rip off our potential IP's, or nickel and dime them into the poor house, but on the other hand none of us want to be at the end of a journey wishing we had thought to put this or that in our contract either.

So please give me what you feel is fair fees and comp. No one will judge anyone for their opinions. We are all here seeking advice, support and information. Also if you think of any I left out please feel free to add them to your copy and pasted list.

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $
    *C-section: $
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $
    *Multiples: $ each extra
    *Selective Reduction: $

*Commitment Fee: $
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily $
    *Housekeeper: $
    *Life insurance policy: $
    *Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $
    *Base Fee: $

Ok here are my thoughts and what I have heard on some of the fees...

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $500.00
    *C-section: $ 1500-3000...having just gone through one I would say the 3K is better. You cant drive for 2wks and if you have kids that you have to take to and from school and to their sports. Getting a taxi or finding friends can add up when paying for gas and stuff C-Sections VACUUM!!!
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $ 3K-5K think about the recovery from loss of hormones. You yourself might have to go see someone to talk about loosing your fertility..it isnt something most of us just get over even if we dont plan on having anymore kids. It is still a lost of our womanhood!
    *Multiples: $ each extra 3K-5K per fetus
    *Selective Reduction: $ depending on your views...500-2K.

*Commitment Fee: $ dont think there should be one
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $ 750 personally I think you should get 500 at the start of BC Pills and the rest after transfer
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily $ dont know
    *Housekeeper: $ 100 bi-weekly (this depends on the size of your house)*Life insurance policy: 250-$750K*Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $
    *Base Fee: $20-30K

Adding: Unaccountable monthly expenses: 150-350

JHMO... I have always tended to lean more towards the LESS side...

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $ 500.00

*C-section: $????? My thought is by that point, I'd want the dang gone thing outta there and if it called for a c/s then let it be. I don' think I'd charge extra. I think however I would ask for some allowance for after care in terms of house keeping and yard work. Maybe 500.00

*Loss of reproductive organs: $ NOTHING. I think this one is stupid. It's a chance we all take. With each of our pregnancies. I didn't ask my hubby for money with my five.

*Multiples: $ each extra This one is hard. I don't know. Maybe 500.00 if it's twins, 1000.00 for triplets. As that one is a HARD toll on the body.

*Selective Reduction: $ Hummmm... I don't know if I'd ask for extra. BUT I would ask for some counseling for several weesk afterwards.

*Commitment Fee: $ This one I think is VERY FAIR to ask. I hate getting jerked around. I would ask for 10% of my base fee at time of contracts being signed. I did with my second surrogacy. And I am very glad I did.

*Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $ I did insems. And mine was 500.00 per cycle.

*Daycare: $ per week or daily $ Hummmm... I am a SAHM so I never have had this issue. But maybe 100.00 per wk.

*Housekeeper: $ Yikes... I don't like people cleaning my house. I think I would request the IP's pay for Merry Maid services for X amount of weeks.

*Life insurance policy: $ I have a 200,000 one. And it was 225.00

*Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $ I don't know about this one either, heck, I don't even know if it's in my contract. Hummmm...

*Base Fee: $ Totally up to you. I am 2X TS and got 18,000. I am very well aware that it is WAY LOWER then more first time TSer's. But this journey was a healing experience for me. NOT about the money. So it was never an issue that I negotiated about.

Great question...
    Mom to 5.
    TS 4X
    Lied to by IP's #4, hope they don't screw another person over.

Mine is all inclusive and it is $22,000 plus $2,000 for every extra fetus.

This is JMHO!

*Amnio, CVS: $500
    *C-section: $ 200 Having gone threw one in the past I know the pain and it wasn't fun to say the least.
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $ 6K I agree with what KT said and that you yourself will be going threw pain both physically and emotionally.
    *Multiples: $ each extra 2K per fetus
    *Selective Reduction, Termination, D&C: $ 1k
    *Commitment Fee: if I do another surrogacy I'd say $ 1K
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $ 500 per transfer/mock/start of meds and 0 for cancled transfer
    *Daycare: I'm a stay at home mom so no day care
    *Housekeeper: see bedrest
    *Life insurance policy: 300K
    *Bedrest: 250 - bed rest at home per week, 500 a week bed rest per week in hospital for babysitter-helper/house cleaner since im the one that cleans and cooks etc.. and also for ordering out since i couldnt cook and my fathers cooking is sucky lol
    *Base Fee: $15k

Adding: Travel fee's imcluding flight/transportation/40 a day for food/hotel
    All legal Fee's
    Uncovers medical

Attempted to be a GS...
    :heartbeat TS to awesome IFs M&C :heartbeat
    :bfp: 3/13/06
    :heartbeat :heartbeat TWO heartbeats 3/27/06 :yikes:

GREAT imput ladies!!!!!

So many vary on their fees and comp. This is good for others to see.

Does anyone feel that I left something out??? If so be sure and ad it.

KEEP EM' COMING!!!!! I love your thoughts and imput!!!!!!

I also have my DH's lost wages covered in my contract. You never know how long it could take you to heal. I wanted to know that if I was in the hospital or something at least he would be with the kids.

I do have hubbys lost wages in mine as well...For RE appts he gets xxx amount...for vaginal birth he gets xxx amount x4 days for c-section 6days...let me tell you he did everything for me the first 6 days after my c-section!

I have a thing in my contract about if the IPs dont pay a bill and it hits my credit report and I have to go to court or get legal assistance to take it off they have to pay the bill, my attorney fees and 500 dollars for EACH item that I have to have taken care of!!! TO ME this is a must have to cover our bums as surrogates!!!

My IPs are fabulous and would never have this happen to me but it is still something I think Surrogates should have in their contract!!

ajnrl is offline Cycling for surrobabe #8!

i'll list what i think is fair for a first timer and then an experienced GS imo...

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $1k/$2k
    *C-section: $2-3,500
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $5k
    *Multiples: $5k either per multiple or just flat paid evenly through pregnancy
    *Selective Reduction: $2k

*Commitment Fee: $500/up to $5k
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: trans: $500/1500; mock 250/1k; cancelled 250/1k after start of any meds
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily - 4 kids $10/hr, 100/day, $700/wk no cap
    *Housekeeper: $75/wk plus an initial cleaning fee per local fees
    *Life insurance policy: $100,000 and up at whatever rate is
    *Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $...i don't have a bedrest fee, but my childcare and housekeeping and lost wages are covered
    *Base Fee: $20k 1st time, 25-35 experienced
    *lost wages/ dh lost wages
    *maternity clothes 500-1k depending on needs
    *atty costs
    *allowance for misc 150-250/mnth at start of cycling
    *35c/mi, med co-pays, any other travel expenses (food, car etc...)
    Carla - GS to T&J - Holly & Elizabeth were born 4/9/08!
    Mom to Annie 12, Jamie & Nicky 11, and Riley 8
    GS to Bridget (9/01) & her brothers Jerred & Campbell (3/03)
    GS to Mia and Sydney (4/05)

I am going to put a range in for most of these, taking into consideration what I've received in the past, or what I would change/add/update next time.

*Amnio, CVS, Miscarriage, w/D&C, S/R : $500-600 each
    *C-section: $3K-4K
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $5K-6K
    *Multiples: $5K each

*Commitment Fee: $500-1,500
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $1K-1,500
    *Daycare: $30 daily or $90 weekly
    *Housekeeper: $50-100 weekly
    *Life insurance policy: $150-400
    *Bedrest: $150-200 per wk. or daily $20-25
    *Base Fee: $15K-35K
    *Legal Fees: $1K-2K
    *Misc. Expenses: $200-300 p/mo.
    *Maternity Clothing: $1,500-2,000

As everyone else said, this is JMO

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $ $500 each
    *C-section: $2000
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $2500 is what we agreed upon
    *Multiples: $ each extra I had $3000 extra for twins and $5000 extra for triplets. The lawyer made the extra comp starting after 20 weeks.
    *Selective Reduction: $I won't do this so it's not even included.

*Commitment Fee: $What is this? I don't have antyhing specifically for this. I did have $1000 of my base fee given to me at the signing of the contract. But it was part of my base fee, not in addition to.
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: I got $150 at the start of injectable meds, then $350 for each transfer or cancelled cycle
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily $ not to exceed $10/hour or $525 per week, which for me is more than enough since my daycare isn't open more than that
    *Housekeeper: $50/wk but IM would probably do it herself
    *Life insurance policy: $100K
    *Bedrest: $ per ww or daily I don't get anything for just being on bedrest, only to make sure things are taken care of (daycare and housekeeping).
    *Base Fee: For a first timer, I think anything from $15-20K is reasonable.

I also included lost wages since I work part time. If you work on commission you may want to be more specific in the contract. My commission isn't in my contract but IM and I have no problems working this out. Any other IPs I'd probably be more specific though.
    Definitely include lost wages for DH too...he will miss work for something along the lines.
    Mileage and tolls and parking was included also since the clinic we're using is over an hour away and we decided to use my OB that's also an hour away. (I moved here last year but didn't want to find another OB when I have such an excellent relationship with my old one...and my IM met them and loved them too, so it was a mutual decision). I don't get mileage often though since IM goes to all the appointments with me and usually picks me up since I'm on the way :) Much more fun talking the whole way down in the car together than going seperately and being bored.
    I also made sure I had included any counseling or meds I might need in the case of PPD after the birth. This was very important to me. I won't sign a contract without this in it.

-Noelle
    Mommy to Hadrien (born 7/18/01) and Victoria (born 10/14/02)
    Wife to Glenn (2/4/00)
    Proud GS for Jen and Jim...Michael and Trevor (born 3/2/06)!!!
    Proud GS for A & J...Jack (born 8/3/07)!!!
    Proud GS for M & D...It worked!!! Due with one little GIRL (finally!) on May 31!!!

I just re-read other people's responses and it kinda scares me how many people say they are SAHM's so they don't need daycare. IMO this is something EVERYONE should have in their contract, because you never know what can happen. If you go on bedrest, or have to go to the hospital, what about your kids? Or in my case...the ultrasound place I go to does not allow children in at all, under any circumstances. So somebody has to watch them when I'm getting an ultrasound, which since I'm carrying twins, is at least once a month. I think even if you can't think of ever needing a babysitter, DEFINITELY put this in your contract just in case...you'd hate to get screwed later. And if you never need it, no harm done. But the last thing you want to worry about when you're on bedrest is how you're going to pay the babysitter to watch your kids the whole time. And even if Grandma lives two doors down and just loves watching the kids, still put this in, because what if Grandma is on vacation or has a hair appointment or gets the flu? We never expect to have something happen to us but things do happen. And it's best to try to be as prepared as possible. Putting this in your contract doesn't mean you will definitely need a babysitter at some point, but it does cover your behind if you do.
    Just my opinion again...

-Noelle
    Mommy to Hadrien (born 7/18/01) and Victoria (born 10/14/02)
    Wife to Glenn (2/4/00)
    Proud GS for Jen and Jim...Michael and Trevor (born 3/2/06)!!!
    Proud GS for A & J...Jack (born 8/3/07)!!!
    Proud GS for M & D...It worked!!! Due with one little GIRL (finally!) on May 31!!!

Amnio, CVS, D&C: $$500 - $1000 each
    *C-section: $ $2000 -$3000
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $ 0 - $5000
    *Multiples: $ each extra$2000 to $5000 each
    *Selective Reduction: $$1000 +

*Commitment Fee: $ not in addition to .......when I do an independent match I ask for $1000 and a letter of intent. This is taken from my base fee.
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $ I am a TS, I dont ask for any insem fee. I think it is silly. I mean how hard are they? really? I would ask to have all testing supplies covered by IP'ss\
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily $ reimbursed for actual amount
    *Housekeeper: $ if on bedrest going rate for at least a once a week cleaning. 4 kids can make a big mess! Yikes!
    *Life insurance policy: $200,000 minumum paid at going rate.
    *Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $if on bedrest, i get childcare for 4 kids at $100 a day, no cap
    *Base Fee: $$10,000 - $25,000

Lost wages for DH
    I ask for 2 weeks for vaginal delivery and 3 weeks for c-section. We have to travel out of state so he takes a LOT of time off for the delivery.
    Legal
    Medical not covered and All Travel Expenses for me and a companion.
    Loving Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadiesmom
    I just re-read other people's responses and it kinda scares me how many people say they are SAHM's so they don't need daycare. IMO this is something EVERYONE should have in their contract, because you never know what can happen. We never expect to have something happen to us but things do happen. And it's best to try to be as prepared as possible. Putting this in your contract doesn't mean you will definitely need a babysitter at some point, but it does cover your behind if you do.
    Just my opinion again...
    Truer words have NEVER been spoken!!!!!!

We must ALWAYS expect the worst all the while praying for the best.
    Because when you let your guard down is when "IT" will happen to you!!

Ladies we must learn to live by these words!!!!

When we don't is when we open ourselves and our families up for disapointment and heartbreak.

*Amnio, CVS, D&C: $500-750
    *C-section: $ 1-3,000
    *Loss of reproductive organs: $3-5,000
    *Multiples: $ each extra 3,000 for twins $5,000 for trips
    *Selective Reduction: $750

*Commitment Fee: $ 0-10%
    *Transfer/Mock Cycle/Cancelled Transfer or Cycle: $ 750 cancelled after start of meds $500
    *Daycare: $ per week or daily $ whatever is needed....
    *Housekeeper: $ whatever is needed
    *Life insurance policy: $250,000 mine was only $162.00 for the $250,000
    *Bedrest: $ per ww or daily $just lost wages and childcare/house cleaning if needed
    *Base Fee: $18-20,000 as a GS you have to take lots of meds
    monthly allowance $150-200 over that submit receipts.
    Lost wages for DH... (none for us)
    maternity clothes single $500 multiples $750
    all of my lost wages no matter the amount.. if bedrest work covers like 60% so IP's would have to cover remaining amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadiesmom
    I just re-read other people's responses and it kinda scares me how many people say they are SAHM's so they don't need daycare. IMO this is something EVERYONE should have in their contract, because you never know what can happen. If you go on bedrest, or have to go to the hospital, what about your kids?
    HEHE I'm one of the ones that said I'm a SAHM and wont need day care. We have it all covered. Since my father is the co-owner of where he works I can just drop her off there if I have an appointment, bedrest etc.. or he can take her with him. The bedrest money I will be getting if I go on bed rest will cover a babysitter if I'm in the hospital or not. I have nothing against daycare but I will never put my daughter in one..JMO! My mother also works nights and so she can stop by the house and help out all threw out the day. I also asked one of my friends to help out since she is a stay at home wife and she is more then happy to. If all else fails we still have things covered by my nana (who is one of my bigest supporters) but the main one is she can will go to work with my father.

Attempted to be a GS...
    :heartbeat TS to awesome IFs M&C :heartbeat
    :bfp: 3/13/06
    :heartbeat :heartbeat TWO heartbeats 3/27/06 :yikes:

mom2c&l is offline V & B are here! 37wks3dys

My friends & relatives will be who keep my children also, but I thought it might be nice for them to have some "pocket change" for a fun lunch, movie or something to keep themselves busy. Once in a while it's never a problem to watch a friends child, but if it happens kinda often, I know I would want some financial help with the day (lunch etc.)

Thank you for the sig Deb!
    :heartbeat forever grateful to Mylissalynn:heartbeat
    http://twinsforthetwins.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by amarilloyankee
    I do have hubbys lost wages in mine as well...For RE appts he gets xxx amount...for vaginal birth he gets xxx amount x4 days for c-section 6days...let me tell you he did everything for me the first 6 days after my c-section!

I have a thing in my contract about if the IPs dont pay a bill and it hits my credit report and I have to go to court or get legal assistance to take it off they have to pay the bill, my attorney fees and 500 dollars for EACH item that I have to have taken care of!!! TO ME this is a must have to cover our bums as surrogates!!!

My IPs are fabulous and would never have this happen to me but it is still something I think Surrogates should have in their contract!!
    You know, I am thinking about adding something like this into my contract this time. I am stilled owed money for a bill from the first surrogacy and we just finally paid it, so its not on my credit history. I contacted the attorney and they are going to pay it, but still, its almost 2 yrs later.
    Chris- Single mom of 4
    GSx3
    Contemplating a 4th journey

Hey Flutterbye,

I had that problem with my first surrogacy. The hospital didn't bill for the babe until 3 months after the birth. My insurance took care of everything by 500.00. I got the bill, passed it along to the agency (they sucked) and they said, "we've refunded the escrow, we can't help you now." My hubby paid it and he's still pissed. The relationship with my IF was very poor and I had no forwarding phone number or address. He moved shortly after surro-babe was born. So we paid it. My hubby is still pissed. I am requesting my IP's call within 24 hours of the birth and take care of as much of the bill before they leave. If not, Dennis will be pissed.
    Mom to 5.
    TS 4X
    Lied to by IP's #4, hope they don't screw another person over.

Haven't been there, but could you make the hospital give you a bill immeditely when you leave? Or everything that they have in the system up until that point?

That's really messed up of your IF to not pay that bill! I'm sorry. The $$ isn't as much the point as what you already went through and then on top of it had to fork out money that he obviously owed. That would piss off my DH too! And me for that matter!