Thread: Compensation fees

Default Compensation fees

Hi all, I have met a really awesome couple. we so far seem to be a perfect match!!! we agree on pretty much everything, we are JUST NOW starting the compensation stage, they want to know my feel. Now, I am a first timer, so I thought I would post what I am thinking, and you guys let me know what you think, I thought I would get your opinion before I show them! I dont want to scare them off if they are too high!!! Thanks ladies...

$20,000 Compensation (Base Fee)
    $2,000 each multiple
    $500 per Transfer
    $500 per Invasive Procedure (never had) CVS/ Amniocentesis/ D&C/ Miscarriage, ect.
    $600 Maternity clothing at 12 weeks
    $2,000 C-Section (never had one)
    $200 monthly allowance (gas, vitamins, ect)
    $200 a week IF required bedrest (never been on it) Childcare, Housekeeping
    $5,000 for the loss of any reproductive organ (very unlikely)
    $500 selective reduction/termination
    As well as:
    Travel Expenses
    Legal Expenses
    Health insurance
    Life insurance

It looks to me like you covered everything and fairly to.
    I do think however a first time surro's base should be lower, closer to the $15,000-16,000 range .
    But that just my opinion.
    Done

I think that your fee's look great! You might find that most are scared off by your compensation amount , I only say that because when I was trying to go independant and I informed PIP's of my comp there were times I never heard back from them, and I had the same amount for comp as you. IMO you are asking the average fee(s) an agency has in place for there surrogates. If this is very important to you just keep looking and eventually you will find your right match! :) :goodluck:

Ok, should I raise/lower any of my fees?? I want to be reasonable with this. Am I forgetting anything?? I dont want to leave something out and then have to have it happen!!!

Was just checking this out today.

Fees and Compensation
    The Washington UPA expressly prohibits the payment of money, objects, services, or anything else having monetary value in exchange for surrogacy services. However, the statute contains three exceptions, allowing intended parents to pay for a surrogate’s pregnancy expenses, medical expenses, and reasonable attorney fees. These exceptions cannot be read broadly to include the surrogate’s living expenses or lost wages. Violation of this prohibition is a gross misdemeanor, and applies to all surrogacy births in Washington, even if the contract is signed in another state. Because this restriction places a financial burden on surrogate carriers, most surrogacy arrangements in Washington are between family and friends. However, nothing in the statute prohibits strangers from entering into surrogacy arrangements, so long as the restrictions on compensation are obeyed.

Doesn't feel like a lot of wiggle-room!
    TS for Two Fabulous Fathers
    Baby Girl 4/2/2007

A typical contract states that comp is for the pain and suffering....
    GS turned TSx7

Still here!
    Proud Mom to Jessica and Joseph
    Happily married to Harvey

I think your 20.000 comp is a bit high too...I am a first time GS and I am asking for 18,000 because I have medical insurance already to cover pregnancy and birth. If I didnt have insurance then I could only ask for 15000. You need to look at your laws for surrogacy also Washington is very strict when it comes to compensation and surrogacy...You are definitely going to need a lawyer.

hope this helps
    Married to my best friend!
    Mom to 3 boys
    Surromom to Hannah born 11/06 :HEARTSMIL

:goodluck: The list looks great.......Your fee is up to you there is no right or wrong I lowered mine for my 1st couple because I really liked them (before the took advantage of me) but anyway sometimes IP's can ask you to lower it if its on the high end as my 1st couple did. Im a 2nd time SM and my comp we will say is under 20k without naming the exact amount just be open w anyone you talk to if your set on your amount and whats right for you and your family no one can answer that question except you

You have to ask for what your comfotrable with. It's strictly a personal matter and where you live makes a difference. I think California surro's have a higher first time fee I think that is fair. I also think that if IP's are paying for your insurance that your fee should be lowered a bit. (Just my personal opinion) My comp is 18,000 IP's don't pay for my insurance but they are paying cash for all pretesting and meds of course which aren't covered by insurance. I think if you have insurance that covers pre-testing and pregnancy and birth 20,000 is fair. Opinion's will vary widely on this so the bottom line is you must ask for what you feel comfortable with and take your personal risk into consideration. It is your surrogacy you must be happy and content with your arrangement. I know my bedrest fee is lower. This is important though b/c with ivf the risk of mulitiplies is about 30% which means higher chances of Dr ordered bed rest. 800 to 1000 dollars addtionally may be very steep for some ip's in addition to other fees. I based my bedrest fee on exactly what it would cost to have someone come in and help which was lower b/c my dh works from home and we would not need as much help. That said if you can't get help for less than 200 a week for your family it should stay 200. Just an idea if your employed outside your home I would look into disability insurance in Lieu of bed rest compensation. It matches your lost income as well and cost around $600 and up. My IM wanted this but b/c I'm not employed outside my home we were not able to find coverage. Good luck and congratulations on meeting a great couple!!

Is $200 a week enough if you are on bedrest??? Did you shop around and you know that for a fact??? My childcare while on bedrest was $900 a week for a full time nanny and I had no idea it was that much until I was in the hospital doped up on Mag. I didn't do any house cleaning even though I was allowed because I felt so guilty about the childcare expenses. If 200 is enough then that is great but make sure you know incase it happens cus guess what it happened to me and I spent 3 months in the hospital on strict bedrest.

The 20,000 sounds fine to me for a first time fee I have seen first time fees now up to 22,000 so I wouldn't change it if I were you. You multiple fee is kindof low too. I got 5,000 for each multiple and believe me a twin pregnancy it WAY different than a singleton more dr visits ect... so just something to think about

GOOD LUCK
    Carla mom to Maddux 12, Jaxon 10, and Lynnix 2
    GSx1 Twin girls 04/04/05 in Norway
    TSx1 for K & J 08/05/08 Catherine

I think your base fee sounds fine. It is on the high end of what the average first time surrogate usually gets, but I don't think it's unreasonable. I got 18K for my first, but looking back, I wish I would have asked for more. It was a lot harder physically than I thought it would be.
    I would look at raising your bed rest amount. Make sure you have enough money to cover everything you would need someone to do. Child care, cleaning, cooking, laundry, errands, etc.
    The most important thing is to do what you are comfortable with and what is best for you and your family.

I was just going to reply to this but noticed the thread starter has been banned...hmmm
    Kari
    Mom to Savanna (2003), Robert (2004) and Lilliann (2008)
    SurroMom to Tyler (2009), twins Emily and Joshua (2010) and Marie (2012).
    Retired and working on me now.
    Missing my friend Ray and father to Tyler, Emily and Joshua. Taken from this life by cancer too soon. You will never be forgotten. RIP 1-13-13