Thread: sonohyst

Default sonohyst

who has had one? besides the explanation that is online what should i expect? can i drive after it? it looks like i will be able to but want to know what to expect and get different takes on it since from what i see every doc does everything differently it looks like!

thanks so much you guys are so great, such help and so informative

kristen

I had a sonohystogram. It was not terrible like some of them, but I did cramp more than I expected. I also had some light bleeding (mine told me to expect it). I did have to sign a waiver of the risk of punture to the uterus and infection. That surprised me, so I'm letting you know.

I was told to take 800 mg of Motrin an hour before and I was glad I did, but I most defnitely could drive after.

It was much more than a Pap or Vag. u/s, but not as bad other procedures I have heard about.

Hope this helps, Catherine

Catherine, Blessed Wife to Rick :couple:; Mom to Miguel (6) :jumprope: & Alejandro (5) :Multi:

2x GS :boy: :boy: 2.7.07

1x GS: :boy: :girl: 6.24.05

It's no big deal. Just like a pap as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't see it as a big deal. The nurse gave me some motrin when I got there for cramping afterwards. I'd compare it to a pap. I had very little bleeding and very little cramping.
    But from what I've read about this on these boards, everyone has had a different experience with it. I guess its how you and your body react to it.
    Erin
    Mom of 3 princesses!
    Wife to the best DH
    GS x 2
    Retired

Love

Default My 2 cents

I did not take motrin and or tylenol before hand. I just went in for my HSG. My paps have never hurt. not one little bit so this was a little different from me. You get undressed and lay down on that cold x-ray table. Stick your feets into some stirups and look at a screen. I felt a sharp little pain like someone poked me but I couldn't be too for sure. Then they stuck the dye in me and told me nice wonderful things about my utureus as they took pictures.

Afterwards I didn't have any cramping but I did have spotting, so take a pad just in case, I was told that was normal. So, that is about the size of my experience. I hope this wasn't too detailed for you. :@

not too much detail at all, the more the better! keep in mind, i have never had one and the more i know the less nervous i will be

are they usually required for most? is that something that most have required as part of 'testing' before you are considered ready to start? i would assume so but like i say, this is a first for me...........should we already have our contract before doing this? it seems like we should as it is an invasive and such, but i am just a little confused about when to make sure the contract is completed............i mean, if it is part of the testing then technically they are not sure they are 'using my services' right? but on the other hand, if it is a procedure and such then ??? help

you guys rock!

great question....I was wondering also what would happen.

Default Hey Kristen...

How are you? Sorry I haven't e-mailed you lately. :hiding: Not all RE's require this test in their screenings. I didn't have anything like that done my first surrogacy. All they required was a physical & blood tests, no invasive tests & no mock cycle. My second RE did require it. I had it done before our contracts and didn't ask for an invasive fee since it was required testing before I would be accepted. That's a personal choice as to weather you'd want the fee or not, some do. Mine was just a bit uncomfortable but not unbearable. Definately go for the motrin beforehand, you'll be glad you did. I'm hoping the RE isn't going to need me to repeat the test for the sibling project but I'm thinking since it's been close to 2 yrs since I've seen him I'll probably have to. I'll find out soon enough. ;-)
    Fallaways SM!
    Mom of three
    GS~twin boys 4-29-01
    GS~Kaylia 11-15-03 big sister
    GS~Colin 10-26-05 little brother
    GS~Desmond 12-09-10

I have had 2 done The first time (1998) HURT like **** He used a clamp thing on my cervix and some thing that looked like a balloon attached to straw. He used dye for this one and it was done in a sterile room I bled after for days. I WOULD consider this type invasive.
    The second one was last year They measured everything and used saline. It was done similar to a pap. It was a piece of cake! I was so nervous from the first one that I was all stressed but it was nothing like the first. I would NOT consider this one invasive.
    Good luck!

Lauren, mine was also done with saline. I've also heard the dye test is more painful. I'd probaby rethink the fee on that one.
    Fallaways SM!
    Mom of three
    GS~twin boys 4-29-01
    GS~Kaylia 11-15-03 big sister
    GS~Colin 10-26-05 little brother
    GS~Desmond 12-09-10

ok, all good information, good points etc.......just i figured we would have 'routine' tests, nothing that could be potentially harmful or invasive really before contracts.......bleed for days, ick, hope not........well we will see i am not sure when it will be scheduled anyhow.....but sounds like it depends on the person performing it so hopefully i will get lucky :@

The one with dye is an HSG. That would be considered invasive IMO.

The sonohystogram. I had one last week, and it was nothing. I didn't take any motrin or anything. Was like a pap and that's it. No bleeding or spotting afterwards. Went to pick up my kids from the sitter and took them to the park to play. Didn't even feel crampy.
    Holly
    Mama to my boys
    GSx2 8/05 and twins 8/07

i have seen sonohyst used for sonohystogram and sonohysteroscopy............so i guess i need to check and see if there is any difference? lol, maybe that is the difference in what is done and determines 'invasiveness' lol

I believe they are one in the same. Also called a FCUS "Fluid Contrast Ultrasound".

The sonohistogram is becoming the new 'standard' from what I read as it's less invasive and according to research seems to be as effective in examining the uterine environment prior to assisted reproductive techniques.

The HSG Hysterosalpingogram (sp?) is the one where dye is inserted and the uterus and fallopian tubes are visualized under contrast.
    Holly
    Mama to my boys
    GSx2 8/05 and twins 8/07