Thread: Hysteroscopy - Painful?!?!?

kozmokitty99 is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity - contact admin

Red face Hysteroscopy - Painful?!?!?

undefinedHi everyone! Just wanted any info or stories you may be willing to share about hysteroscopies and your experiences. Is it very painful? I know they will offer me Valium before I go in for it - I'm mostly worried about the injection on the cervix. :#: Please tell me whatever you can! :thankyou:

calsurro is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity; contact owner

My hysteroscopy was not painful at all. I kept waiting for the pain to hit. It felt like nothing more than a pap. I didn't take any valium , ibuprofin or anything for pain. Although, I didn't receive any type of injection in my cervix. Good luck I am sure it will be a breeze

Exclamation NO WAY does it hurt

Hi, I just had mine done a few days ago and it was AWESOME, I posted a thread on it. You get to see your uterus and this was so neat to see. I love that little house, I wish I could live there lol lol, anyway, I don't understand the valium part? didn't need that. Lots of luck to you. it's easy......
    :smohug: :smohug:

No pain for me either, I took some tylenol just before, per RE sudgestion. It went really smoothly, and I agree was rather interesting.
    My IM, though said it was a terrible painful procedure for her so...
    I'm using a SF RE, ZFC. Where are you at?
    Dr Z was great, informative and gentle.
    :vacation:

GS to Brendan
    3/13/05 :baby:
    pumped for twins :couple:

Is what you are talking about the same as HSG?? I'm having that done in a week or so:(
    HEATHER

ilana is offline Life is too short to moan

Default I've had three done that I can remember!

My first was done in 1992 in Sydney and it was new technology at that stage so the Dr was all excited about it. I found I had some cramping though even though it was interesting to see the inside of my uterus and he was chatting away saying to me "See that tiny polyp I can cut it out now with this scissor scalpel whatever it won't hurt!", but I began to freak and get all sookie so he decided to do it under a general. T
    hen my third one was done in Israel in 1996 and was mildly uncomfortable but ok. Then the next one done a year later and I passed out in the middle of it for some reason and woke up on the floor with my legs spread and extended in the air which was embarrassing and most uncomfortable.
    I think the instruments get more sophisticated and less invasive with the advance of technology so you can take less drugs which is a good thing for your body anyway.

Mine was not painful at all. I hope yours goes smoothly.

Juju

In preparation for my next cycle I had to have one. It was painful for me and I cramped the whole day and part of the next. I asked for pain medication and it was helpful. I have never been pregnant and the doctor said that may be part of the reason for it. When I transferred last in Feb there was no pain but my freind Cole said that's because the syringe is so much smaller.
    The consesus on this site is more on the side of no pain, so good luck to you.

hopeful gs is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity - contact admin

Hey there! Mine was painless - only a little cramping afterwards!
    Take some tylenol before hand and you will be fine!
    Good Luck and keep us posted when you go!
    Talk to you soon :)

The first one I had done only made me a cramp a little, which was good b/c I had forgetten to take any meds. So when I went in for my second, I was a little overconfident. That one made me cramp for hours afterward. But I would not say it is painful, it was just like really bad menstrual cramps. Good Luck!

I have never had one done, but my niece who is my IM had it done before she found out she couldn't carry. She said it was extremly painful and she normally has a high pain tolerance. I think everyone is different and it is easier if you have had a child.

They're called different things, and sometimes people aren't too sure what they've had done as opposed to the other tests.

I had the HSG - hysterosalpingogram, where they actually clamp open your cervix, put a cathetar of dye in there, and take XRays.. That HURT!!!

Then I had a saline sonogram, which wasn't any worse than a pap.

I think depending upon the doctor and sometimes the uterus itself, something may be painful for someone else, but won't be for you.

It'll be okay !:) Good luck!!

I had one done and it was awful.I've had 4 unmedicated deliveries and you'd think I could handle the pain. NO WAY!! I almost passed out. I couldn't see anything,hear anything but ocean waves,I was sweating profusely(sp) and the next thing was passing out. Did the RE care? NOPE!!! and then I had to drive home(2 hour drive)...

Good luck with yours.

kozmokitty99 is offline Acct suspended due to inactivity - contact admin

Slosurro - I'm having it done at NCFMC in Rosevillle. The nurse coordinator said since I've had two children already, it should be about a 1 on a pain scale of 1-10. But she also said they like to give everyone a valium (to relax) and a shot of demoral (to reduce cramping), so I have to have someone drive me home. Anyway, the injection on the cervix is lidocaine (to numb it?) because they pry the cervix open. That's the part that sounds painful to me, but we'll see! :)

vone is offline **Account suspended, invalid E-mail address. Contact admin.**

My IP RE knok me out, so I felt nothing. I was fine when I got up.

I have always thought that you had to go under for this, my IM did and I was put under but after reading here and talking with otheres you dont.

Good luck to you and I hope it is not pain for for you.

I am having mine on July 15. I am glad to hear most of you say it is not very painful. My doctor suggested that I take 4 Motrin before mine. Thanks for the info.

I didn't have a shot in my cervix. I had some cramping but it wasn't too bad.
    :usa: Proud American :usa:
    Mom x 2
    GS x 1 Surromommy to Baby G 3/18/05 6 lbs 12 oz :girl: :hop:
    Retired!!!