Thread: Transfer Day rituals, foods, good luck charms, dances, anything?!?!

Default Transfer Day rituals, foods, good luck charms, dances, anything?!?!

Please share anything that you do or have done in the past for luck on your transfer day (or in the next few days post-transfer). Any special things that you like to do, foods you like to eat, etc. Also, any gifts that you received (or gave) that made the day special.

I've read that some surros have special socks, clothes jewelry, etc that they wear. I've equipped my wonderful GS with a pair of "lucky" socks that have little snowmen and hearts all over them. I've already named the frozen embryo, "frosty" and have a theme of snowmen. It is especially fitting if the planned transfer works out and she is due around Christmas. This might be totally corny, but I'm having fun. :)

I've heard that some people believe that eating pineapple can help with implantation. Does anyone do this? I think I've read that it is mainly the core of the pineapple? (I'd hate to ask her to eat the rough outside part of the pineapple but since she has to take valium on transfer day she may be willing:@)

McDonald's fries? I've read that some people think those bring good luck. I'm not sure she would eat those even on valium.
    Last edited by telemetrynurse; 03-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.

I had the McDonalds french fries post transfer but that's about the end of my lucky transfer rituals. Did get pregnant that first go though. Lol. Just had McDonalds for lunch and Chipotle for dinner (the entire dang burrito may I add. Darn those steroids they had me on!).

Yes, it is the core but unless you're near somewhere you can use a good blender, consuming the core of a pineapple is going to be difficult.

TBS did air the episode of Friends where Phoebe did the transfer to be a surrogate for her brother while I was one night while I was there for transfer. I counted it as my cosmic good luck, but don't think that can really be replicated. Unless you have it on DVD ;-)
    Samantha
    David's mommy. GSX1 to twins C&C

My blog!

Oh I love transfer day rituals! I'm kind of superstitious

I did sport a pair of lucky socks, and we all (myself, IM, IF) wore green shirts. I ate a section of pineapple core for the 4 days we were there, and had McD's french fries as part of lunch after transfer.

What fun!
    Carmen

wife, momofboys, GSx1, scientist, jesus (and coffee) lover, vegetarian, health advocate, pinterest addict, cat lady, and seeker of miscellaneous knowledge.

transfer 10/10 - negative BETA
    transfer 2/19- 10dp5dt - 292, 13dp5dt - 1436
    :heartbeat due 11/13
    :boy: baby J born at 3:10am on 10/30 at 9lbs8oz

http://us-lately.blogspot.com/

My personal good luck charm for my first transfer was Milano cookies. The reason is because on my trip to LA for my transfer they just kept popping up everywhere. On the plane, at the hotel, even my BFF had some in her car when she drove us back to the hotel from the transfer. We got pregnant, so obviously it worked! :toothless

I wear green/yellow from the day I fly up for transfer until I'm home (that's 3-4 days of nothing but yellow and/or green outfits!), I have a lucky charm bracelet that my 1st IP's gave me (they researced fertility symbols...frog, stork, baby bootie and something else..and put them on the bracelet), I have a special Italian glass necklace in green/yellow, lucky socks, I start eating fresh pineapple (including the core) until my tongue is "fuzzy" (from the bromaline) during the week of transfer and I ALWAYS get Popeye's chicken after transfer. (mainly because it's so hard to get it at home) While it's been a coincidence and not planned intentionally, I've always eaten my fav. shrimp vindaloo (Indian) for dinner the nite before. Just now realized that!

There may or may not be more "supersticious" things I do, but these are the funny one's that pop into my head.

I wouldn't call pineapple a transfer superstition. There is actually an enzyme in the core called bromelain that is supposed to help make the lining better quality. Theoretically (if it works) it would only be helpful while the lining is actually being built, not at transfer time. Since bromelain is also linked to miscarriage when taken after implantation, I probably wouldn't take it close to transfer anyway. If someone doesn't want to eat pineapple core, pills can be purchased instead.

My last transfer (with my 2nd IPs) my IM had read something about laughter and IVF success. We chose some funny movies to watch together after transfer. It was a lot of fun and we really did laugh a lot. Transfer worked ;)
    GSx2

McDonald's fries (I had them the day before transfer), and dark chocolate (directly following transfer)... and just lots of relaxing! I didn't do special outfits-- wore green the first two times but the third try (our successful one) I just wore a new outfit that looked nice (made me feel nice too).

GOOD LUCK!!!!

This thread rocks. :)

I've already nicknamed my IP's future fetus with a food item that matches their name. We decided it will be good luck if we all eat tons of the stuff before transfer, haha. It will be so neat if the first round works.
    Last edited by *Meggie*; 03-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    GS twins born 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by surrolena View Post
    I wouldn't call pineapple a transfer superstition. There is actually an enzyme in the core called bromelain that is supposed to help make the lining better quality. Theoretically (if it works) it would only be helpful while the lining is actually being built, not at transfer time. Since bromelain is also linked to miscarriage when taken after implantation, I probably wouldn't take it close to transfer anyway. If someone doesn't want to eat pineapple core, pills can be purchased instead.

My last transfer (with my 2nd IPs) my IM had read something about laughter and IVF success. We chose some funny movies to watch together after transfer. It was a lot of fun and we really did laugh a lot. Transfer worked ;)
    Laughter?? I was specifically told not to laugh after transfer...which was very hard I might add. lol

Transfer #3 3-day FET 6/21/13 (new egg donor) BFP 6.5dp3dt
    Beta: 11dp3dt 356, 19dp3dt 7997, 27dp3dt 49411. 7 wk U/S revealed
    http://5000milestosurrogacy.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by racook09 View Post
    Laughter?? I was specifically told not to laugh after transfer...which was very hard I might add. lol
    Yup!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...laughter-clown
    GSx2

My RE is cracking up during the whole procedure...can't tell you how close he's been a number of times now, of getting peed on. He's all for laughter and even had suggested a funny movie for my IP's and I to watch later that afternoon!

This is a good thread I'm up for more items to try next transfer. I wore lucky socks last time but then they gave me medical type socks to put on with my gown when going back for transfer. Since the transfer didn't work I thought I'd get new socks but do you guys get to wear them in to transfer? Do you put your medical socks over them or do they not give you medical socks at your clinic? Silly but I am willing to try whatever I can to make it work. :toothless

Thank you Delphi!

M&B's baby girl arrived 12/27/13 at 40w4d beautiful and healthy!

When I see pics or hear the descriptions of some transfers, I "freak" a bit because they are so "sterile" looking. My transfers are us going into a transfer room, taking everything off waist down (but leaving on socks) w/a "paper towel" (it is NOT big enough to qualify as a sheet! LOL!) covering me, a nurse or tech holding the U/S on my bladder so the RE can see, then inserting catheter, placing embies and then laying there for 15-20mins before I can pee.

Hmmm we did not have too many transfer day rituals with my last journey I did wear a yellow t-shirt taht alll of the GC with that agency wore and we got pregnant with twins in fact all of the surrogates who wore the shirt carried twins. This time we will be more spitual and we will be doing accupuncture and I have a special prayer that I have printed out for IM to help calm her nerves after that itslots and lots of relaxing

Quote Originally Posted by surrolena View Post

Well there you go. I went with my bff and we definitely were laughing and enjoying ourselves. Success!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy4 View Post
    When I see pics or hear the descriptions of some transfers, I "freak" a bit because they are so "sterile" looking. My transfers are us going into a transfer room, taking everything off waist down (but leaving on socks) w/a "paper towel" (it is NOT big enough to qualify as a sheet! LOL!) covering me, a nurse or tech holding the U/S on my bladder so the RE can see, then inserting catheter, placing embies and then laying there for 15-20mins before I can pee.
    Oh my goodness. Ours was so sterile it's not even funny. It was in a hospital. The took us back in what I like to call "pack". 3 of us. In our hospital gowns. You'd hear "Down and to the left" then you'd walk into an OR. But it was a dark OR. Then they'd wheel us off to recovery to wait for 30 minutes and our support person was allowed to join us there. Surreal! I will say the shining silver lining from Cornell was I didn't have to have a full bladder at transfer. I held it the entire cab ride over just in case but they told me it was fine while I was changing into my gown (which, they make you wait in the front waiting room in the hospital gown btw. Awkward! Lol).
    Samantha
    David's mommy. GSX1 to twins C&C

My blog!

No thank you to wearing a gown in the waiting room! While not much phases me, I think that might. LOL!

ETA~ my IP's were there for each of my transfers...in the room w/me. Only time they weren't was when I was taking my bottom's off, then I'd holler that I was ready and they all piled back in. Thank goodness I'm not terribly modest as the "paper towel" doesn't really cover much. After each transfer, before the RE left, he'd hand the dish to my IP's and tell them "Here's your baby's 1st bed. Congrats!". We'd all then sit (me laying down) and visit, LOL, be nervous together until the nurse would come back in to tell me I could get up to pee. Then everyone left the room so I could get my bottoms back on and go pee. It's always been just a fun, relaxed atmosphere...very positive and upbeat.
    Last edited by luvmy4; 03-11-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy4 View Post
    No thank you to wearing a gown in the waiting room! While not much phases me, I think that might. LOL!

ETA~ my IP's were there for each of my transfers...in the room w/me. Only time they weren't was when I was taking my bottom's off, then I'd holler that I was ready and they all piled back in. Thank goodness I'm not terribly modest as the "paper towel" doesn't really cover much. After each transfer, before the RE left, he'd hand the dish to my IP's and tell them "Here's your baby's 1st bed. Congrats!". We'd all then sit (me laying down) and visit, LOL, be nervous together until the nurse would come back in to tell me I could get up to pee. Then everyone left the room so I could get my bottoms back on and go pee. It's always been just a fun, relaxed atmosphere...very positive and upbeat.
    My experience was more like Traci's. except my IPs were not there, just my hubby and BFF (who was newly pregnant with a surrobabe). I think she was another one of my good luck charms! ;-)