Thread: Nursing/pumping for surro baby questions

Default Nursing/pumping for surro baby questions

Hello! So yay!! I'm in my second trimester!!!!! So excited for August to get here! Lol! So in our contract it just says I might nurse/pump for baby. Have any of you surromommies actually nursed your surrobabies at all or pumped? Last time, I didn't. Just wondering what your opinions are on this. Thanks! Meg

Jill is offline Enjoying everyday......

I didn't for my first to surrogacy's but I did pump exclusivley for my last surrogacy. It was an awesome experience but very time consuming.

Yay for second trimester!

I nursed my surrobabe until he went home, per my IM's request, and then pumped for over 9 months. Worked out beautifully for us! I didn't have any extra bonding or separation issues from nursing him and my IM, who is still one of my BFFs, had no problems with it either. We stayed together the whole time. I'd nurse him and she'd burp him. We were a great team!

I would never think negatively of surros/IPs for not pumping/feeding breast milk, but I think it's wonderful when IPs and surros make pumping work in their relationship! I was very proud to be able to continue to feed the little guy and my IM was very proud to give it to him, despite his somewhat unique entrance into the world.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Juliana; 02-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.

I didn't nurse, but I did pump for a little over a month. I would have liked to for longer, but it really was time consuming and wanted to start weaning for when I went back to work. Since this is a sibling, I plan on doing the same (pumping as long as practical). I figure it's good for baby and for me.

11/17/2012 5 day fresh transfer 1 embryo, :bfp: 4.5dpt; Beta 12dp5dt = 484

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I was wondering if anybody felt any attachment or anything from nursing or pumping? I had zero "motherly" feelings toward my last surrobabe. I am wondering if I'd feel anything like that if I actually nursed...? I don't imagine I would, but just wondering y'alls' opinions.

I nursed both of my surrobabies while I was in the hospital and pumped for a few months after that. I didn't have any "motherly" even though I nursed them.

9dp5dt - 344 12p5dt - 867 15dp5dt - 2863

jlm4 is offline Praying for Ray's family

no advice because i'm an IM, but i wanted to tell you that i love your siggy, meg!

Michelle's Forever IM: Baby Guy Daniel Chief, 5/10
    Always Missing Precious Baby Roger 1/14/09, 33 weeks 5 days

Thank you girls! Thanks, Leigh! I was trying to come up with a neat analogy for us surrogates. It's kinda like we sit on your eggies Til they're ready to fly to you moms and dads. :)

jlm4 is offline Praying for Ray's family

Quote Originally Posted by megamommy8880 View Post
    Thank you girls! Thanks, Leigh! I was trying to come up with a neat analogy for us surrogates. It's kinda like we sit on your eggies Til they're ready to fly to you moms and dads. :)
    that's perfect!

Michelle's Forever IM: Baby Guy Daniel Chief, 5/10
    Always Missing Precious Baby Roger 1/14/09, 33 weeks 5 days

I nursed the twins for 8 days exclusively and I was completely exhausted. I then pumped and nursed(during visits) for 4 months. I had no bond. I felt like a machine. I would nurse/burp and hand them off.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraElizabeth View Post
    I nursed the twins for 8 days exclusively and I was completely exhausted. I then pumped and nursed(during visits) for 4 months. I had no bond. I felt like a machine. I would nurse/burp and hand them off.
    Hahaha! This made me laugh. I've never nursed a surrobabe either (because my IMs never felt comfortable with it) but I imagine I'd feel the same way as you. Nursing to me equates to feeding a baby, nothing more. But I've nursed or pumped pretty much for my entire adult life, and it's no big deal to me. I think society makes a big deal about it. People have been "wet nurses" for thousands of years. I could nurse anybody's baby, even a stranger's baby. No big thing. Do you all remember that news article about Salma Hayek nursing a starving baby in Sierra Leone? People were so freaked out by it. Oh my gosh, I would do that in a heartbeat. Nursing is feeding...that's all.

As far as pumping breast milk, I like it. It's a huge time commitment, but it's good for me and there's nothing better for the baby. So I've pumped after both surrogacy journeys and I plan to do the same this time.
    Last edited by Mom of Many; 03-03-2013 at 02:19 PM.

I nursed 3 out of 4 surro babes. I also felt like it was an extension of me caring for them not bonding. I am not a champion pumper so if I don't get the babies to start my supply it will never get established. Besides the fact that I am tired from giving birth, I just don't have the energy to pump. So far my IM's have wanted the breast milk and didn't have any issue with me breastfeeding.

I have pumped after every surrogacy, first for the surrogate baby(ies) and then just donating to someone in need. I actually nursed Aurora and for me personally, it did make it somewhat harder emotionally. This time I went back to just pumping and I feel perfectly fine so while I can't be sure that my extra "emotions" last time were from nursing, I can't rule it out either. I am 16 days pp and pumping about 28 to 30 ounces a day. It's not a ton but typical for me. I wish I was one of those 70 ounce a day producers but my max is about 30 ounces...of course i don't pump at night either and that is part of my low production I'm sure.
    GSx1 to the Boston twins 12/06
    GSx2 to the ESBs 5/08
    GSx3 to the ESS 12/10
    GSx4 to the Canadian 2/13
    The blog returns: http://susanb573.blogspot.com/

I think everyone is different on how comfortable and willing they are to either pump or nurse for their surrobabies. I was on the fence about how I felt if I were to nurse my surrobabies in the hospital, but as I got to know my IPs better, I felt like I would be comfortable nursing them in the hospital if they wanted me to. I wondered if it would help my milk supply come in earlier. I have been pumping for my surrotwins, though. I decided while I was pregnant that if my IPs did not want my breast milk, I would still pump and donate to the local NICU milk bank. I wanted the benefits of pumping for my health and to help babies. I breastfed my son so it was important for me to use my breast milk for something instead of letting it dry up.

Anyway, I am now 10 days postpartum and pumping 5-6 times a day for my surrotwins. I pump between 6-10 oz per pumping session so that calculates to about 30-50 oz/day typically. I don't want to pump more frequently than every 3-4 hours because I plan to go back to work in a week and I do not want to wake up in the middle of the night to pump.. As it is, I am uncomfortable in the middle of the night because I don't pump overnight. Plus, I don't have a ton of extra freezer space. One of the girls finally got released from the NICU today but she was getting my breast milk from day 3 or 4 on (when my milk finally came in.. I was barely able to get any colostrum the first few days) and her sister got some of my milk before she went home with their dad early this week and I am sending a bunch of frozen milk home for both girls. My IM has let me know that she has a friend near her home who has offered breast milk to them, too, so depending on how things work out, she may not need my milk once they are home. I think she wants to save the money it would cost to ship the milk cross country. If that happens, then I plan to donate to the NICU like I was originally thinking. It would probably mean I would stop pumping earlier, though.
    Last edited by MommyX1; 03-03-2013 at 09:41 PM.

GSx2 for T & U! 9-12-14 FET! Singleton EDD 5-31-15!

I said I would if necessary. My IM induced though, so she nursed her. I did try though, so she could get some colostrum. She didn't want it. She wanted her mommy's milk instead! We ended up giving her a couple droppers of colostrum the night before she went home.

Miss Molly made her debut on February 21, 2013!
    Aug 2013 ~ Matched again!