Thread: How Many Tries WITH DONOR EGGS?

Default How Many Tries WITH DONOR EGGS?

We have had 2 tries so far. First try, with donor eggs (proven donor) unsuccessful and no embryos made it to freeze.

Second try, with different donor eggs (also a proven donor) unsuccessful and 3 embryos left to freeze.

Our third try is in a few days... (we'll transfer 2).

But we were curious how often does a ED/GS take not work? My IM is understandably a little frustrated, thinking that the donor eggs would be the 'key' so to speak of a successful transfer and pregnancy. I KNOW that pregnancy in general and IVF in particular, it's still just a crap shoot, etc. Just wondering if others have experienced this and how many of you have stories for us. I am hoping to give her some reassurance that this can still happen for them.

I would put money on a sperm issue. With 2 proven donors, no pregnancy and barely any embryos left to freeze...

Quote Originally Posted by kanbangirl View Post
    I would put money on a sperm issue. With 2 proven donors, no pregnancy and barely any embryos left to freeze...
    I've been wondering about it... not sure how that aspect of it works though. Don't you think the RE would have mentioned? And do they test the sperm beforehand?

Quote Originally Posted by mgrimmgoss View Post
    I've been wondering about it... not sure how that aspect of it works though. Don't you think the RE would have mentioned? And do they test the sperm beforehand?
    I don't think they always test sperm...only if there is a problem. I think sometimes everything can test okay and figured out by process of elimination. I am sorry for all of you :( Failed transfers stink.

We had a donor and 27 lovely eggs retrieved, only 17 fertilized and only one good blast and one okay blast to transfer with two so-so left to freeze. The RE said it was definitely a sperm issue. Luckily we got pregnant with one from our first transfer.
    Christine
    Mom x 4
    GS x 3 - working on 4

just me is offline Hoping for 1 more journey

We have had 2 tries so far. First try, with donor eggs (proven donor) unsuccessful and no embryos made it to freeze.

Second try, with different donor eggs (also a proven donor) unsuccessful and 3 embryos left to freeze.

Our third try is in a few days... (we'll transfer 2).

But we were curious how often does a ED/GS take not work? My IM is understandably a little frustrated, thinking that the donor eggs would be the 'key' so to speak of a successful transfer and pregnancy. I KNOW that pregnancy in general and IVF in particular, it's still just a crap shoot, etc. Just wondering if others have experienced this and how many of you have stories for us. I am hoping to give her some reassurance that this can still happen for them.

I had an experience with previous IPs where there were always a bunch of eggs retrieved (from the IM) but around day 4 many would stop growing. In the end we only very poor quality 5 day embryos with none of them making it to freeze. We went thru 3 fresh transfers and this is how it was all the time on day 5. The RE was certain it was an egg issue and pushed for a donor to be used, but my IM refused. In the end after a blighted ovum, chemical and miscarriage at 5 1/2 wks we parted ways.

They switched clinics and the new RE performed some test on my FIF's sperm. Usually all that is tested is motility, mobility etc. I don't know what test he did but an infection as found in his sperm. It was treated and their next retrieval finished with 7 blasts (I think) on day 5. Long story short they are now the parents of twins.

It seems that all that is ever checked with IFs is quantity, if the sperm are shaped normally and if they can swim. Obviously for my previous IP's sperm was the issue all along. And with 2 proven donors in your IPs' past it seems that the one constant is the sperm.

As far as success with donor's, my first IPs used an egg donor. We got pregnant first time with twins on the fresh transfer and on the first frozen transfer we got pregnant with a singleton. I think with a proven donor success rates are usually pretty high.

Good luck.
    Last edited by just me; 09-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.

GS x 5

Sounds like a sperm issue might be a good thing to investigate.

However, even if there is found to be no issue there, unfortunately IVF is a game of odds and someone will always fall on the wrong side of those odds. Everything can be perfect and it still just doesn't work. The first transfer I ever did with embryos created from donor eggs worked the first time with just 1 transferred, but that doesn't mean anything other than that we had everything working right and were lucky enough to fall on the right side of the odds.

Good luck and I really hope it works!
    GSx2

I agree sounds like a sperm issue, but would be very careful saying anything about that. 2 out of 4 of my IPs have used donor eggs. One of those 2 also used sperm donor. One set of the IPs first transfer was a fet and was a chemical, 2nd transfer fresh and worked. That was the couple who used an ed and sd. The other couple just used an ed and it worked first try.

I agree! They always assume its the IM when sometimes its not. :(

GSx1 2003 Baby Girl
    GSx2 2005 Twin Boys
    GSx3 2007 Baby Boy
    GSx4 2010 Angel baby Emily @ 22wks
    GSx5 2011 Boy/Girl Twins
    GSx6 One Baby Bump due in March

http://kristinatx4.blogspot.com/

Using donor eggs and gestational carrier, IVF rates of success are a (generalized) 80%. Not only should one of those transfers have worked, statistically, but the huge red flag to me, is that none of the embryos with the first proven donor made it to be frozen and only 3 with the other. Knowing that REs consistently blame the eggs and uterus before even questioning the health of the sperm, I would guess that your IF may need a DNA fragmentation test. Testing count, motility, and mobility are only one small aspect of sperm health and if I were your IPs, I would be seeking second opinions and getting more testing done before moving forward.

I do wish you a successful transfer though. Please remember, only so much is in your hands.

Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone! It's pretty much confirming what I've been thinking... I don't think it's my place to bring it up to my IPs, however if this next try doesn't work I may say something. I honestly feel we need to change clinics, but IPs might be done trying after this anyhow. I don't know... it's not in my control, I just feel bad for them.

What about this-- are these embryos stronger since they actually made it to freezing? I feel like they are but I don't know the technical side of that.

Interested to know the final result of this coming transfer, please update...

yeah, sometimes we need to know the tech side of things as IP.
    -Intended Parent
    -Est ET date: Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by aiye View Post
    Interested to know the final result of this coming transfer, please update...

yeah, sometimes we need to know the tech side of things as IP.

So far, this transfer worked!
    Positive test at 6dpt (that's the first day I tested).
    First beta at 10dpt was 184.

So far, this transfer worked!
    Positive test at 6dpt (that's the first day I tested).
    First beta at 10dpt was 184.
    Wonderful news!! :sunshine:
    Amanda
    GS to K & J
    2/15/12 - FET
    Due -October 31, 2012

Yay!!!! Great news!

Congrats! :hballon:
    Susan R - Mom to 2 boys & GS to 8 Surrobabes
    Pregnant with OUR Baby Girl/Surrogate Advocate