Thread: Anxiety Disorders

Default Anxiety Disorders

Have any of the surros on here been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder? If so, how did it affect your surrogacy experience, if at all?

WELCOME TO THE WORLD BABY GABRIEL!!! BORN 3/17/13. HE JUST COULDN'T WAIT TO FEEL THE LOVE!
    If Superwoman were secretly a wimp...that would be me.
    There and Back Pain: A Surrogate's Tale

I have anxiety. I had to take Ativan before each transfer... other than that I don't think it's made a difference. The fertility doctor's office is very good at getting me right into a room when I arrive, which has been very helpful. I find the longer I have to sit in the waiting room the more anxious I become. We will see how the ultrasound appointment goes. I usually have anxiety whenever I go to the clinic, not entirely sure why? It started at my second transfer after having a late miscarriage. The miscarriage was fairly traumatic, so I suppose it stemmed from that. I had no anxiety for at least ten years before that happened. :grouphug: Anxiety sucks.

Beginning in 2009 after a total of 5 transfers using 8 embryos, 2 m/c and the results are:
    February 14, 2011 GIRL
    March 16, 2013 TWIN GIRLS

I helped make a family!! Don't lose hope!

I'm not sure if mine is a disorder. It stems from one very specific event. It hasn't affected my surrogacy journeys because as long as I avoid my triggers I forget I have it. It does suck, sucks so bad. Mine is crowded places, dark places and claustrophobia. Forget all the fun rides at Disney when we go :(

Twin boys 7/18/12 (37 weeks)
    A- 5lbs 7oz 19"
    B- 5lbs 9oz 19"

I have a minor type of social anxiety, I don't see myself having any issues with it during my journey, like the previous poster I know how to avoid it and have not had an attack in nearly 3 years and before that it was a few years as well. :)

Learning good coping techniques and having the right support people in my life definitely helps!

Miss Molly made her debut on February 21, 2013!
    Aug 2013 ~ Matched again!

Quote Originally Posted by Babybug View Post
    I have anxiety. I had to take Ativan before each transfer... other than that I don't think it's made a difference. The fertility doctor's office is very good at getting me right into a room when I arrive, which has been very helpful. I find the longer I have to sit in the waiting room the more anxious I become. We will see how the ultrasound appointment goes. I usually have anxiety whenever I go to the clinic, not entirely sure why? It started at my second transfer after having a late miscarriage. The miscarriage was fairly traumatic, so I suppose it stemmed from that. I had no anxiety for at least ten years before that happened. :grouphug: Anxiety sucks.
    Ugh. It really does suck. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, but manage it fairly well and am now doing it med-free. I'm just afraid that if the IVF works, it may trigger something. I keep telling myself that it won't be like that, but some days when I sit down and think too deeply about this surrogacy, I start to get that familiar feeling of nausea and dread. I have been able to get in control pretty quickly, but I'm not pregnant right now, so it's easy to do so. Ugh. I'm just really hoping that I don't have to get back on meds if the transfer works. :(

WELCOME TO THE WORLD BABY GABRIEL!!! BORN 3/17/13. HE JUST COULDN'T WAIT TO FEEL THE LOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by missbeth View Post
    I have a minor type of social anxiety, I don't see myself having any issues with it during my journey, like the previous poster I know how to avoid it and have not had an attack in nearly 3 years and before that it was a few years as well. :)

Learning good coping techniques and having the right support people in my life definitely helps!
    I often use coping techniques, but since I've never been a surro before, so I'm not sure if my techniques will be effective. I guess we'll see!

Wishes she were on top of the Space Neddle

Quote Originally Posted by Superish_Surro View Post
    Ugh. It really does suck. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, but manage it fairly well and am now doing it med-free. I'm just afraid that if the IVF works, it may trigger something. I keep telling myself that it won't be like that, but some days when I sit down and think too deeply about this surrogacy, I start to get that familiar feeling of nausea and dread. I have been able to get in control pretty quickly, but I'm not pregnant right now, so it's easy to do so. Ugh. I'm just really hoping that I don't have to get back on meds if the transfer works. :(
    Do you do any type of therapy?

I'm not sure if there are any anti-anxiety meds that are not class C when it comes to pregnancy. I'm a little surprised you were cleared to be a surrogate if the possibility of anti-anxiety medication may be needed (as in past history). Any pregnancy can be stressful, being responsible for someone else's baby, ten fold.

Quote Originally Posted by specialk View Post
    I'm not sure if there are any anti-anxiety meds that are not class C when it comes to pregnancy. I'm a little surprised you were cleared to be a surrogate if the possibility of anti-anxiety medication may be needed (as in past history). Any pregnancy can be stressful, being responsible for someone else's baby, ten fold.
    She's a surrogate for a family member, not sure if that made a difference.
    GS x 1- Twins 2012
    TS x 1- Girl 2014

Happily content with my surrogacy story.

Is it a possibility to try counseling now, before the transfer? In my experience with anxiety, the more I think about it, the worse it becomes. It's almost like you might set yourself up. Do you have any triggers? It would be great if you could get some support in place now, before the transfer and subsequent pregnancy. If you think pregnancy may trigger your anxiety, maybe hold off on transferring until you can get more of a sense of how you will be? Argh... I'm REALLY sorry you have to go through this. :( I had lost 11 pounds in one month due to anxiety and was telling a friend I would much rather just be fat. It is so terrible. Again... hugs to you. :grouphug:

Beginning in 2009 after a total of 5 transfers using 8 embryos, 2 m/c and the results are:
    February 14, 2011 GIRL
    March 16, 2013 TWIN GIRLS

I helped make a family!! Don't lose hope!

Quote Originally Posted by specialk View Post
    I often use coping techniques, but since I've never been a surro before, so I'm not sure if my techniques will be effective. I guess we'll see!
    I'm not sure this is something you should "wait and see" on. Your health and mind need to come first and foremost and you need to KNOW your techniques will be effective prior to doing a surrogacy.
    Last edited by Newtothis; 03-20-2012 at 08:44 PM.