Thread: Ppd???

Default Ppd???

So I delivered the girls a little over 6 weeks ago. I go for my 6 week check up tomorrow. Lately I've been thinking I might have some post partum depression. Not sure...
    I'm not "depressed", like I can't get out of bed in the mornings, or I don't want to clean the house. I don't feel sad or empty.
    But...lately I am so irratable. And most of it is directed at my kids, (which I'm sure is because I'm a stay at home mom and a mostly single mom, as my SO works out of state) so I'm mostly around my kids. I also feel like I have no patience. I'm also having some trouble sleeping.

I plan to talk to my OB tomorrow and see what he says. Not sure if its just a hormonal thing. I've never had these kinds of feelings before. I don't know if its related to the stress of the early delivery, the c-section, or just a combination of everything.
    I have a really hard time even admitting these feelings. Having to admit PPD feelings in some ways makes me feel like a failure in some ways. Also its hard to admit these feelings following a surrogacy. The way I feel, in no way has anything to do with me missing the babies. I have not and still do not have any kind of attachment to them.
    I'm coming here to share this in hopes of finding support, as I'm sure some of you ladies have experience with this. Any advice or words of support would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some common symptoms:

* Frequent sadness or crying
    * Insomnia (inability to sleep when the baby sleeps)
    * Anger or Irritability
    * Emotional numbness
    * Changes in Appetite
    * Feeling Overwhelmed
    * Confusion
    * Repetitive thoughts, images, fears
    * Obsessive rituals
    * Difficulty concentrating or indecisiveness
    * Feelings of inadequacy or guilt
    * Thought of suicide of escape fantasies
    * Anxiety or panic

10 coping tips

1. Set realistic expectations. For example, get dressed, eat lunch.

2. Ask for help and take it whenever it's offered. Make a list of things people can do to help and post in on the fridge or even on the front door.

3. Get outside as often as you can.

4. Drink lots of water and nibble on nutritious snacks through out the day.

5. BREATHE ~ close your eyes and take long full breaths until you feel better.

6. Realize that you are not alone. reach out to other moms, to your support people and to your health care providers. Talk about how you are feeling.

7. Take break from tasks. especially when someone else in in charge. Relax

8. Look for opportunities to be creative and have fun! Nourish your own inner child.

Make sure your care provider takes you seriously. There are also some 1-800 numbers you can call to talk to professionals

1-800-PPD-MOMS

http://postpartumprogress.com/postpa...support-groups
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3
    Sibling Project 2014 Underway

If I had to guess, I would say that it's just a combination of everything. You went through something very traumatic and there are bound to be repercussions. Be gentle with yourself. Talk to your OB and see what he says. And remember that no matter what, it will get better.
    GSx1 to the Boston twins 12/06
    GSx2 to the ESBs 5/08
    GSx3 to the ESS 12/10
    GSx4 to the Canadian 2/13
    The blog returns: http://susanb573.blogspot.com/

I've done some research on this and recently attended a seminar on PPD. It's so much more common that people think. Over 25% of Alaskan women have experienced some type of PPD. The wonderful counselor that spoke said that with it being so prevalent, then perhaps PPD Is not something that is not normal but rather a type of normal reaction to having a baby. Her speech was really great but a lot of it was concepts and theory and rather difficult to put back into words although I understood what she was saying.

I wish you all the best. Keep talking about it and seek out some sort of support. Good Luck!
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3
    Sibling Project 2014 Underway

Interesting. When I was diagnosed with PPD, I learned that men get it too, not uncommonly. I hadn't even considered it could happen to me because I didn't give birth. Wasn't even thinking that inducing lactation means similar hormones, plus just the situation can bring it on (with PPD men).

OP, it's good that you're considering it as a possible explanation for however you're feeling. Talk to your OB, GP, mental health counselor, friends, anyone you can, so that you can find a way to live your life happily.

I had the extreme irritability around the same time... turned out it was PMS. For a few cycles after I gave birth I had "extreme PMS" as my doctor called it and she wanted to prescribe medications but I started taking St. John's Wort and found it very helpful. I stopped taking that a few months ago and I have no real symptoms of PMS so far. I think it was just such a huge change for my body and the hormones needed a few cycles to really figure themselves out. Anyway, if you can get a good quality St. John's Wort... could be very helpful.

Beginning in 2009 after a total of 5 transfers using 8 embryos, 2 m/c and the results are:
    February 14, 2011 GIRL
    March 16, 2013 TWIN GIRLS

I helped make a family!! Don't lose hope!

It does sound like what you are experiencing is mild PPD and that is very common and nothing to be ashamed of. Usually they say to talk to your GP or OB if it lasts longer than 6 weeks and you are right at 6 weeks. A short stent on an SSRI like Zoloft may be very helpful and help even you out some. Talk to her at your appointment and know that this is temporary.

jlm4 is offline Praying for Ray's family

You are NOT a failure, sweetie, and the fact that you are reaching out shows that you are brave! You won't let it get the best of you this way and you need to give yourself a pat on the back as part of the Be Kind To Bridget campaign that needs to start now.

The other posters gave you wonderful advice - please follow it and protect yourself and your kids from any further angst. Being the sole care-giver is tough even when you haven't just had babies in a traumatic fashion. Having trouble sleeping makes it even harder - perhaps some melatonin might help and it is very natural. As Amanda said your doctor might also prescribe a mild SSRI.

Do you have friends you can go out with or is there any way that you can take some time for yourself? Even an hour or so here and there could help.

Hang in there and practice gentleness to yourself. :) And keep coming to SMO and other support systems that you might have - check in and let people know how you are doing! :heartbeat

Michelle's Forever IM: Baby Guy Daniel Chief, 5/10
    Always Missing Precious Baby Roger 1/14/09, 33 weeks 5 days

That's exactly what my 2nd bout of PPD was like. After my twins (my 2nd & 3rd kids) I had the steroetypical "sadness" PPD... Crying sobbing in the shower, etc. with my next kid, it was the short-temper, frustration, and irritability.

Prozac totally worked for the sad PPD, but had no effect on the mad PPD. I ended up going to a therapist, and all I remember we're my "homework" things:

1. Regular date night
    2. Regular sex with husband
    3. Get an out-of-the-house hobby (I took a sewing class at community college one night a week).
    4. Regular exercise.

These things totally helped! Good luck!
    Christi - GSx1 to a Texas-born Aussie :girl: 5/16/12 7b4oz 20"

Hugs to you! You have done an amazing thing and sometimes the aftermath is just not how we envisioned things to be.

Be kind to yourself .. your kiddos are so great ~ we had lot of fun meeting you all:sunshine:

I agree it sounds like it could be a mild PPD. You are very brave to seek attention and help as things could quickly spiral downward. Whether you in consultation with your OB choose meds or therapy or both I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Siggy by the Amazing April

Thanks for all the reply's. I will definitely use some of these tips.
    I saw my OB yesterday for my 6w PP. We talked a lot about what I'm going through. We decided that since it seems like a mild case were going to try to make me feel better without meds right now. I'm going to get some melatonin to help me sleep better at night. I'm going to start working out and he feels like getting back on birth control should help too. He thinks its due mostly to a hormonal inbalance. He explained to me that carrying twins resulted in higher levels of hormones in my body, so I just have to give it time for that to level out. The birth control should help that.

If I'm not feeling better in the next couple months then I'll start on some kind of meds.
    Thanks again for the support.

jlm4 is offline Praying for Ray's family

Great update, Bridget - it's good to have a plan, isn't it? :sunshine: Be good to yourself and always remember that you have done a wonderful thing!

Michelle's Forever IM: Baby Guy Daniel Chief, 5/10
    Always Missing Precious Baby Roger 1/14/09, 33 weeks 5 days