Thread: Coconut Milk vs. Coconut milk

Question Coconut Milk vs. Coconut milk

Are the 1/2 gallon coconut milk (found in the dairy or alternative "milk" section) and the canned coconut milk (found in the ethnic food section) the same thing?
    Tammy
    mom to 4 and 1 on the way
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

No idea but now I'm craving a Vita Coco water after reading your question and all of Renate's links.

My problem is not finding the words, it's keeping my mouth shut!

where the stars at night, are big and bright....

Quote Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
    Are the 1/2 gallon coconut milk (found in the dairy or alternative "milk" section) and the canned coconut milk (found in the ethnic food section) the same thing?
    I don't know - but when I have a recipe that calls for Coconut Milk - I used the canned stuff that I find in the ethnic section of the grocery store.
    And I have been using a lot of it making Pina Colada recipe lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Boys View Post
    I don't know - but when I have a recipe that calls for Coconut Milk - I used the canned stuff that I find in the ethnic section of the grocery store.
    And I have been using a lot of it making Pina Colada recipe lately.
    right, that's what I used to do but now I buy 1/2 gallons to drink and was wondering if they were basically the same thing. The 1/2 gallons are cheaper.

I'll look at the websites Starfish gave.

Thanks!
    Tammy
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

Quote Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
    right, that's what I used to do but now I buy 1/2 gallons to drink and was wondering if they were basically the same thing. The 1/2 gallons are cheaper.

I'll look at the websites Starfish gave.

Thanks!
    I wonder if it's like the difference between regular milk and canned evaporated milk? Or maybe I just made this all more complicated? LOL

Melissa is offline Bright lights Big City!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonM1976 View Post
    No idea but now I'm craving a Vita Coco water after reading your question and all of Renate's links.
    Yum that do sound good :D

Quote Originally Posted by alsgurl04 View Post
    I wonder if it's like the difference between regular milk and canned evaporated milk? Or maybe I just made this all more complicated? LOL
    Well if I had a can of both, I could read the label! LOL

I think you are basically right. I recall the canned being thicker but not much. Neither really taste like coconut as we imagine coconut to taste like because neither have added sugars. They both just taste like creamy water.

Anyway, for what I'm doing I will just use the 1/2 gallon. We're making smoothies.
    Tammy
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

We use the carton Coconut milk for milk replacement for cereal ect.. the canned coconut milk I use in recipies.

From what I understand and I could be wrong. But the canned kind is like a first press coconut milk. SO to make it home made you would take a fresh coconut and grate up the meat, place in cheese cloth and squeeze the "milk" out.
    Then to get the kind you find as a milk alternative in the fridge section you soak the coconut "meat" in water for some amount of time and then squeeze the thin "milk" out. I think they may also add something to the refrigerated kind.
    Mom to Oz, bell and Tempy
    Wife to Chris
    Tummy Mummy to Eliana