Thread: What to pack for long term hospital bedrest?

Default What to pack for long term hospital bedrest?

So our big appt is on wednesday. There is a probable chance that I'll no longer be able to bedrest at home and will need to stay in the hospital. I am a realist and want to be prepared w/bag in hand. (I still think I'll be able to stay at home for hopefully a couple more weeks as long as my cervix cooperates). What do I need to pack in my suitcase? I know obvious toiletries and such just wondering about how much clothing and other things u wish u brought w/. Thanks!

I brought 14 pairs of pj pants, 14 pairs of undies, 14 comfy shirts (had to buy a few pairs of pjs to have that many) and a ton of stuff to read. Hubby would bring me 7 outfits every week and haul away the dirty. I only saw hubby and kids once a week and that sucked.
    GSx1 to the Boston twins 12/06
    GSx2 to the ESBs 5/08
    GSx3 to the ESS 12/10
    GSx4 to the Canadian 2/13
    The blog returns: http://susanb573.blogspot.com/

I had Snacks for my hospital bed rest,my cell ph(used it for long Dis calls)I took a DVD player and a Few Movies(DH would Bring some)my DDs Laptop,Lots and lots of Socks.I had my DD and DH bring me some Pictures to put up in my room,my own Pillow,a Blanket from home.My BFF Ash sent me Fake Flowers to have up,different stuff to put around the room to make it feel like Home.I even had Air Freshener in the Bathroom with a small blue bath rug.

I had no idea you were going through this Whitney. I really hope your cervix cooperates, and stays as long as possible, for many more weeks.
    And that you can stay at home as long as possible. Are you contracting?
    Last edited by angelmama; 05-15-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Retired

thanks gals! joni no contrax!! u can see the full update in our dec. cycling group...

There was a post about this not long ago. Maybe search for it because there was lots of good info.

I packed lots of PJ pants and shirts, socks, underwear, bras, hygeine stuff, laptop, cell phone, books to read etc. People sent and brought me snacks to eat and magazines to read. Subscribe to netflix on your laptop. Pictures of my kids were brought in and ones that they colored as well. Pillow and blanket from home.

I was on hospital bedrest for 4 weeks and at home for 2.5 afterward for shortening cervix like yours. only different was I was in hospital first. My cervix was not much longer than a 1 when they sent me home. I was just under 24 weeks when I went in and was let out at 28 weeks and I delivered the twins at 30w3d. Good luck.

Well I hope you get to stay out as long as possible...I'm on week #5 right now and it's definitely not the place i want to be.
    I was admitted suddenly so my goodies have trickled in via family.
    Now that I am not too "magged out" I spend my day visiting with family, my IP's, watching TV, cross stitching (for the babies), blogging, going online with my IPad and reading. I also try and squeeze out the latest bed rest gossip from the nurses. There's a twin mom on mag down the hall very early in her pregnancy staying for the long haul. Also, a triplet mom just got admitted yesterday and she's around 25 weeks but not on mag and is staying too. I'm going to give them some time then call their rooms to make friends.
    I can't think of anything to add to what the others have said. Just be prepared to have family take your dirty laundry home to wash and return for you. Some sandals or slippers and a sweater especially if they take you on wheel chair rides outside.

Good luck...I'm always here if you need someone to chat with :)
    Melissa
    Wife, Mom to 3
    GS x1- BOY 11/21/09
    GS x2- QUADS 06/19/11 at 33w2d
    GS x3- GIRL 08/16/13

6 pregnancies, 9 babies later...officially retired!

http://ababyforthem.blogspot.com/

I was only admitted for 1 week earlier in this pregnancy, so I don't know about the long haul, but I do know what I really appreciated. Bring a pillow! The hospital pillows are awful! Also, a laptop with Netflix was a great thing to have. I brought my kindle and knitting projects. I wasn't allowed to wear real clothes so I don't know anything about that. Good luck! I hope that you get good news on Wednesday.

lotion, chapstick, makeup. Hospital air always seems dry to me. I had my kids color pictures to hang up. My Dh brought our Wii to the hospital and hooked it up for me as well as the portable dvd player. Our hospital did not had wifi and that sucked big time.
    Sarah
    Mom to 3 girls
    GSx1 Twin girls 3/16/11
    GSx2 Boy 12/3/12
    GSx3 Girl 8/10/14!

I only did 3 days bedrest in the hospital (not even) but I have two bits of advice:
    1 - ask for the egg crate pad for your butt - it makes a HUGE difference in back pain.
    2 - see if you can get a regular bed, not a break-away bed meant for labor. I was on the regular L&D floor so that would probably not be where you would be but just in case.

I will hope you are able to avoid the hospital!
    Maggie
    Wife to C
    Mom to 2
    GSx1 B/G twins 4/11
    Due 1/31/13 with my own #3

sbkjkx3 is offline Account suspended-E-mail address needs updating

Quote Originally Posted by mommymelissa5 View Post
    Well I hope you get to stay out as long as possible...I'm on week #5 right now and it's definitely not the place i want to be.
    Now that I am not too "magged out" I spend my day visiting with family, my IP's, watching TV, cross stitching (for the babies), blogging, going online with my IPad and reading. I also try and squeeze out the latest bed rest gossip from the nurses. There's a twin mom on mag down the hall very early in her pregnancy staying for the long haul. Also, a triplet mom just got admitted yesterday and she's around 25 weeks but not on mag and is staying too. I'm going to give them some time then call their rooms to make friends.
    I can't think of anything to add to what the others have said. Just be prepared to have family take your dirty laundry home to wash and return for you. Some sandals or slippers and a sweater especially if they take you on wheel chair rides outside.

Sorry to hijack but can you tell me the name of your blog so I can follow??:D

just me is offline Hoping for 1 more journey

For my hospital stays the important things for me to have were:
    a couple of my own pillows
    comfortable tops/bottoms/PJ bottoms
    changes of underwear
    toiletries that I like
    laptop and charger
    books/kindle/game books
    cellphone and charger

Those for me were the big things. When my hubby or kids would come to visit there was always takeout food or candy that I wanted and they brought, but I never took it with me. The bags of goodies when they came to visit were always like a treat for all that I was putting up with.

The doctors and nurses always tried to get me to put a calendar up and decorations on the walls, but for me that felt to permanent. For you it might be a good if white walls will drive you bonkers.

Remember to take each day on its own. i found it very difficult to think of a week's worth of time or a months worth of time. My mind worked best when I only had to make it thru 24 hours before it was a new day again.

GS x 5

I have no advice as I have never been on bed rest for longer than 48 hours after a transfer but I think you got some great advice. I wish I was closer to you so I could visit.

You just stay positive and know you will be back home resting and not at the hospital.

BIGS HUGS!

GSx1 2003 Baby Girl
    GSx2 2005 Twin Boys
    GSx3 2007 Baby Boy
    GSx4 2010 Angel baby Emily @ 22wks
    GSx5 2011 Boy/Girl Twins
    GSx6 One Baby Bump due in March

http://kristinatx4.blogspot.com/

Have you made a thread anywhere talking about how you came to be pregnant with quads? If not, I am soooo curious!! :toothless

Quote Originally Posted by mamamolly View Post
    I was only admitted for 1 week earlier in this pregnancy, so I don't know about the long haul, but I do know what I really appreciated. Bring a pillow! The hospital pillows are awful! Also, a laptop with Netflix was a great thing to have. I brought my kindle and knitting projects. I wasn't allowed to wear real clothes so I don't know anything about that. Good luck! I hope that you get good news on Wednesday.
    Just for anyone reading, the hospital cannot force you to do anything, including wearing hospital issued gowns. You can wear, eat and drink anything you like while you're in the hospital so don't let them bully you into thinking otherwise.
    ~Jenny
    Homebirth'n TS in TN
    Due Jan 9th with a singleton for awesome IPs

Quote Originally Posted by Here2Give View Post
    ]
    Just for anyone reading, the hospital cannot force you to do anything, including wearing hospital issued gowns. You can wear, eat and drink anything you like while you're in the hospital so don't let them bully you into thinking otherwise.
    I wasn't just there on bed rest. I was there because I was actively bleeding and had multiple transfusions and all sorts of other things going on. I am sure if they were not doing constant procedures they would have allowed me to wear my own clothing. I also didn't want to because I didn't want to ruin anything with the bleeding.

I am sure that if I tried to get dressed in my clothing they would have allowed it, they just preferred me to be accessible in a wonderful hospital gown.

where the stars at night, are big and bright....

You might want to give them the chance to tell their own story. I would be PISSED if some nurse was talking about me and what was going on with me and giving out my room number to other patients.

thanks ladies :) i plan on making a list and pack tomorrow -- i've been setting daily goals while at home and it's been helping so those will be my goals tomorrow**

melissa - i'd love to follow ur blog, i have one too below my siggy*

i feel personally i'll get at least 1 more week at home but i think if my cervix shortened again that i'll be staying -- im just happy im not having contrax