Thread: Number of eggs at egg retrieval?

Default Number of eggs at egg retrieval?

I know that there isn't a normal number of eggs that I should expect from my IM's egg retrieval, but I am curious to know what your number was. If you could please share your or your IM's age, the number of eggs retrieved, and the amount that made it past fertilization to either be transferred or frozen.

Thank you!

Hi Laura!

My first IM, she was about 41, and got between 9 and 11 eggs I believe (it was 2.5 years ago!) and at transfer, we had 5 embryos. We transferred 3, and they discarded the remaining embryos.

Second IM (36), her first retrieval she got 3 eggs, none of which fertilized, and then the second time got 1 - that didnt fertilize either. The donor for this couple I believe was 26, and only produced 13 eggs, out of which we got 5 viable embryos - none of which resulted in pregnancy.

Current IM is about 41 as well. She cycled twice before we matched, which resulted in 4 frozen embryos. I dont know how many eggs she got at each retrieval. When we did a fresh transfer, she got I think 7 eggs, 3 of which fertilized and were transferred. We had one of them hang on fora lil while, but we miscarried at 8 weeks. The donor for this couple retrieved 30 eggs - 22 of which fertilized naturally (ICSI was not used on any of them!) and at our transfer on Saturday, there were over a dozen embryos still growing. We transferred the best 3 (and are in the 2ww) and the RE suspected there would be at least 4 to freeze.

Hope that helps!

GSX1: Ella Rose 8/7/2011 7lbs 6oz, 19 inches and adorable!!!

A lot depends on your IM's age. I was 41-1/2 when the Twinkies were created.

We retrieved 8 eggs. 5 fertilized, of which 4 were chromosomally normal by PGD. All 4 were transferred (per ASRM guidelines, given my age). 2 implanted & grew into babies.

Quote Originally Posted by akamom View Post
    Hi Laura!

My first IM, she was about 41, and got between 9 and 11 eggs I believe (it was 2.5 years ago!) and at transfer, we had 5 embryos. We transferred 3, and they discarded the remaining embryos.

Second IM (36), her first retrieval she got 3 eggs, none of which fertilized, and then the second time got 1 - that didnt fertilize either. The donor for this couple I believe was 26, and only produced 13 eggs, out of which we got 5 viable embryos - none of which resulted in pregnancy.

Current IM is about 41 as well. She cycled twice before we matched, which resulted in 4 frozen embryos. I dont know how many eggs she got at each retrieval. When we did a fresh transfer, she got I think 7 eggs, 3 of which fertilized and were transferred. We had one of them hang on fora lil while, but we miscarried at 8 weeks. The donor for this couple retrieved 30 eggs - 22 of which fertilized naturally (ICSI was not used on any of them!) and at our transfer on Saturday, there were over a dozen embryos still growing. We transferred the best 3 (and are in the 2ww) and the RE suspected there would be at least 4 to freeze.

Hope that helps!
    Wow Lynn!! I had no idea you went through all that! You're a trooper! Crossing fingers for a bfp!!

Laura, how old is your IM? Good luck to you and her!

I was 32 at retrieval and it was our first try with a cancer protocol so they weren't too sure how well I would respond and still we got 18 eggs! Which I was super excited about. 17 fertilized but only resulted in 5 excellent embryos. We now have 6 month old B/G twins and 3 embies left for our next go round. Lots of luck to your IM!

Siggy by the Amazing April

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    Wow Lynn!! I had no idea you went through all that! You're a trooper! Crossing fingers for a bfp!!

Laura, how old is your IM? Good luck to you and her!
    She is 35. This process to get her body ready for the egg retrieval has been very stressful on her. I know that the RE basically said that only 25% of the eggs retrieved have a chance of making it to transfer and I wanted some real life answers. (Not that I was second guessing the RE, I was just hoping...!!)

I was about 26 and they were able to retrieve 30 she transferred 2 and were able to freeze 10 I think

I am 35 young just turned in Oct. I did my first donation in Nov ret 15 eggs 12 fert but only 3 made it. However, it wasnt due to egg quality. I was told by the RE my eggs were great quality. Infact, we transferred the three back into me and I am pregnant. Our first u/s should be next week sometime.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by 4chayrez; 12-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Let's see....I'll put what details I remember from past cycles.

One IM (33) with proven fertility:
    Retrieved 16 eggs, 6 fertilized, all slow, had four 6-8 celled embryos on day 3 (none to freeze, BFN), 2nd ER got 9 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 embryos again to transfer (none to freeze, BFN), 3rd ER 15 eggs, only 4 fertilized and by day 3we thought only 2 to transfer, but one came back to life, transferred all 3 (none to freeze, BFN). Retrieval results progressively worsened. RE thought IM's eggs were damaged.

Another IM (31) retrieved 10 eggs, 7 fertilized, ended up with 4 poor quality on day 3, transferred all (none to freeze, BFN). 2nd ER 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred 5, froze 2 (BFN). Third ER 14 eggs (no ICSI this time), 10 fertilized "naturally", we transferred the 5 most developed and the other 5 died (none to freeze, Huge BFP!).

Blessed wife & mommy...baby is here!
    GSx1 to baby H & GSx2 to baby N

Surrogacy: in my heart since 2000

MY FIM was 38 with first retrieval and got like mid to high 30 eggs retrieved, not all fertilized and none good enough to freeze. We had chemical

FIM 39 for 2nd retrieval and I think was close to 40 eggs retrieved. Another chemical and none to freeze.

FIM 39 for third retrieval, had 18 eggs retrieved. Got preg with triplets and none to freeze. Did a 3dt withtis retrieval cause those that fertilized were dropping off quickly.