Thread: Iron level 9.6, just how low is this?

Default Iron level 9.6, just how low is this?

The nurse left me a message and now they are out of the office. My iron was 9.6, what's it supposed to be? I guess I'm supposed to start supplements and they're hoping it'll fix the dizzy spells. But the supplements cause bathroom issues which I have already been battling, is there areything more "natural" I can do?
    I got my PHD from Google University :toothless

I was told normal was 12-16. 9 for me is normal these days. I went down to 6.7 about a month ago (I am not pregnant) and was immediately hospitalized and given blood.

So, 9 is low but not horrible.

I take colace with my extra iron. Good luck to you!

You can eat iron rich foods and also cook your food in a cast iron skillet.

When pregnant, mine usually ends up in the 9 range and my dr calls it "borderline low."
    Jennifer
    Wife and Mom to 2 boys
    GS X 1 - 9/28/2010 :girl:
    GS X 2 - 11/20/2012 :boy:

12 is the lowest end of normal.
    I take Slow-Fe and it is supposed to be one of the gentler iron supplements in regards to stomach issues.
    Do not take an iron supplement at the same time as you consume anything with Vitamin C. Iron doesn't absorb properly if you do.
    If you drink tea that can also be part of the problem. Something in tea (I can't remember what it's called), makes it harder to absorb the iron as well.
    I think taking Vitamin B with iron will help the iron absorb better.
    Last edited by MamaLuv3; 08-06-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Amy
    Momx3
    GSx2
    What's next?:spin:

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLuv3 View Post
    I take Slow-Fe and it is supposed to be one of the gentler iron supplements in regards to stomach issues.
    Do not take an iron supplement at the same time as you consume anything with Vitamin C. Iron doesn't absorb properly if you do.
    If you drink tea that can also be part of the problem. Something in tea (I can't remember what it's called), makes it harder to absorb the iron as well.
    Iron is actually absorbed better if you take it with vitamin c- you want to avoid taking calcium and iron at the same time, though.
    They are HERE!!!!
    GSx1 to baby boys born on 4/21/11

Jen, GS to jessicafromnj

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
    Iron is actually absorbed better if you take it with vitamin c- you want to avoid taking calcium and iron at the same time, though.
    LOL. After I typed it out I went to check because I ALWAYS get it turned around.
    Thank you for pointing that out, I will try to edit, but it might be too late.

ETA...yep, too late to edit.
    Last edited by MamaLuv3; 08-06-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Amy
    Momx3
    GSx2
    What's next?:spin:

I just found out yesterday my HGB is 8.0 real low esp for me I was at almost 14 before my c-section so I have to take iron as well. Make sure you take a stool softner daily with the iron.

Floradix is a liquid supplement I have taken before.It is not supposed to have any constipating effects. I say supposed to because I have no idea how a different body may react to it.
    Beta #1 7dp5dt is 97
    Beta #2 9dp5dt is 223
    Beta #3 11dp5dt is 478
    Beta #4 15dp5dt is 2266
    First ultrasound 06/07/10 showed 2
    Second u/s 06/15/10 showed :heartbeat :heartbeat
    Delivered 1/21/11 at 38w3d
    PE after delivery

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLuv3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
    OK glad that got worked out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Floradix is a liquid supplement I have taken before.It is not supposed to have any constipating effects. I say supposed to because I have no idea how a different body may react to it.
    Floradix is my recommendation. It doesn't cause constipation and its easily absorbed. Just make sure you know how much ELEMENTAL IRON your doctor wants you to take because you may need to take more than the recommended dose of Floradix as the fluid qty = the elemental iron (if I remember correctly). I really liked this supplement.

My OB says anything above 11 is fine.. mine was 11.6 at my last appt so we're just going to watch it but I was pretty anemic with my last pregnancy so I am sure I'll be picking up more Floradix soon.

After I had the twins last week mine was 5.8 the morning after I hemorrhaged.
    After 2 blood transfusions it went back up to 7.4 and they released me from the hospital. I had it retaken today and has gone all the way back up to 9.9....go me! lol
    Floradix, iron pills, and alfalfa (4x daily) will help. After delivery you should have the placenta encapsulated to help too.

(induction, but a vaginal unmedicated birth!)
    "I guess one person's HGTV is another person's surrogacy." ~SoL2

I agree with the PP about the Slow-FE it is great! I have been on iron for yrs. I always have low iron and this stuff is heaven sent, gentle on my tummy and no constipation.. sorry TMI.. I think 9 is low but not too bad, mine is usually in the 8-9 range.

I also like "Ferrosequels"

Funny I just got my labs back and mine is 8 point something, I have to also take something I am glad you posted this but sorry you have to deal with it!

Mine's also low but I cannot stomach iron supplements so I'm going to be getting infusion therapy to bring my levels up (iv iron).

Twin boys 7/18/12 (37 weeks)
    A- 5lbs 7oz 19"
    B- 5lbs 9oz 19"

Quote Originally Posted by TxMom View Post
    Mine's also low but I cannot stomach iron supplements so I'm going to be getting infusion therapy to bring my levels up (iv iron).
    When I was pregnant with my 2nd set of surro twins, I had to do IV iron daily for 10 days at the hospital and it helped me soooooo much. In fact having had both IV iron and a blood transfusion, I would much rather have IV iron again than a transfusion.

Good luck to you!

Wow you girls are amazing. I get the dizzy spells and fatigue at about 11. With dd it was 11 when they tested and I had huge dark circles under my eyes and my skin was so pale and gross. I take hemocyte-f to keep my iron up and that stuff is brutal, but my dr wouldn't okay an OTC supp :(
    ~Kelly~
    EDx2
    GSx1~2 girls! Born 10/23/2010 /hearts/
    My facebook:sunshine:

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    The nurse left me a message and now they are out of the office. My iron was 9.6, what's it supposed to be? I guess I'm supposed to start supplements and they're hoping it'll fix the dizzy spells. But the supplements cause bathroom issues which I have already been battling, is there areything more "natural" I can do?
    I've had low iron with this pregnancy and with my DD. I didn't want to get constipation, so I took Floradix. It's liquid iron and it doesnt taste bad, you just have to keep it refrigerated. I bought mine at While Foods.

Good luck

Everything I was going to say has been covered, so I hope the extra iron has you feeling better in no time.

I saw the hematologist today and my levels are at 9.8. She said since I'm symptomatic I should have the infusions to avoid a possible blood transfusion at delivery.

Have you found an iron supplement that works for you yet?

Twin boys 7/18/12 (37 weeks)
    A- 5lbs 7oz 19"
    B- 5lbs 9oz 19"