Thread: Uhhh... when can you shower after a C section?

Default Uhhh... when can you shower after a C section?

Packing my hospital bag and I have always brought special shampoo/ conditioner/ lotion to kind of "pamper" myself after giving birth. For some reason that first shower afterwards always feels so good! So I am still taking my stuff hoping this version works..... but it dawned on me... I am assuming you can't really get the incision wet for awhile? I've never had any kind of surgery so I am pretty clueless....

When do you get to shower? Or are you doomed to "sponge baths" :rotfl: for awhile???

We let our patients shower 24 hours after surgery. The dressing comes off and you can get the incision wet. No soap obviously and don't let the water hit directly onto your stomach! Good luck!

I showered the next day, but I was told to not let water hit directly on the incision. It can be hard to get comfy in the hospital bed after a c-section, so bring pillows from home.

Thanks akamom!
    ~ 10/09 5dt of 2 fresh embroys ~ chemical
    ~ 03/10 5dt of 3 fresh embryos ~ m/c @ 5w5d
    ~ 07/20 5dt of 4 frozen embryos ~ m/c diagnosed @ 5w6d

jlm4 is offline Praying for Ray's family

All 4 times I took a shower the next day. I was given a plastic strip that adhered to the skin above the incision and draped down to protect the incision from the water.

That first shower does feel fantastic!!

Michelle's Forever IM: Baby Guy Daniel Chief, 5/10
    Always Missing Precious Baby Roger 1/14/09, 33 weeks 5 days

I showered the same day with all of mine.
    Heather

I've had 3 c-sections and it was the day of or the next day that I had my showers.The nurses can in and gave me a sprung bath a few hours after to wash off the iodine.I always got up out of bed as soon as I could feel my legs to walk, it helps allot to get moving as soon as you can.and you may have a lot of gas.no one bothered to tell me with my first c-section that you get very gassy.I always put one of the big pad over my incision it helps keep it dry and it was comforting to have it there.
    Last edited by Aura76; 06-07-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add

You DO get gassy after a c-section. The more gas you pass the better. SERIOUSLY. If you get too bloated or it gets uncomfortable because you either can't pass it or or you're not passing it fast enough, you can ask a nurse for something to help with that. I've been given simethicone (the same stuff that's in Myelicon Drops) and it's always helped. I've always packed a small can of air freshener, too. I'm paranoid like that. :spin: The nurses always commented on how good it smelled in my room.

As for showering, I've showered within 24 hours of delivery. As soon as they untethered me from the IV and I felt strong enough to move around and stand for a bit, I took my shower.

Another suggestion is if you're not sure whether or not the bathroom shower has a detachable showerhead/hose, you might want to buy a cheap one from Wal-Mart and take it with you. For my first three deliveries the hospital didn't have one and it was difficult for me to rinse and clean the Great Down Below because it was hard to maneuver around comfortably. By the time I had Sam, the hospital had revamped their bathrooms to include detachable shower hoses. I was in HEAVEN and showering/rinsing was so much easier! I liked it so much that I had Frank go buy one for me to use at home though the recovery.

I started taking gas-x the night before surgery and took it as directed on the box the entire time I was in the hospital. My doctor was all for it.

As for showering, I showered the next morning. Man I was sooooo happy for it! I got help from the nurses who helped me properly wash the incision site. Their instructions were to rinse thoroughly, pat with a soapy washcloth, rinse thoroughly, then pat dry thoroughly. The most important part was making sure it dried thoroughly.

Oh, and yes yes yes on the detachable shower head, or make sure you leave with a peri bottle or two.

Permanently benched by anterolisthesis. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kymztwinz View Post
    You DO get gassy after a c-section. The more gas you pass the better. SERIOUSLY. If you get too bloated or it gets uncomfortable because you either can't pass it or or you're not passing it fast enough, you can ask a nurse for something to help with that. I've been given simethicone (the same stuff that's in Myelicon Drops) and it's always helped. I've always packed a small can of air freshener, too. I'm paranoid like that. :spin: The nurses always commented on how good it smelled in my room.

As for showering, I've showered within 24 hours of delivery. As soon as they untethered me from the IV and I felt strong enough to move around and stand for a bit, I took my shower.

Another suggestion is if you're not sure whether or not the bathroom shower has a detachable showerhead/hose, you might want to buy a cheap one from Wal-Mart and take it with you. For my first three deliveries the hospital didn't have one and it was difficult for me to rinse and clean the Great Down Below because it was hard to maneuver around comfortably. By the time I had Sam, the hospital had revamped their bathrooms to include detachable shower hoses. I was in HEAVEN and showering/rinsing was so much easier! I liked it so much that I had Frank go buy one for me to use at home though the recovery.
    Thanks Kym!

My hospital does have the detachable heads as well as a seat in each of the showers :)

I also have one at home!!!!

riverwalk is offline resident OCD dirty movie freak w/ a side of old fartness, slightly crusty. I am so old I fart dust!
    Wally-world can kiss my dimply pale a$$. :)

Bless the dear nurse/assistant that helped me shower the next day. It was great. I never thought of the shower head thing, thats a good idea.

andi

About 24 hours is when I took my shower. Except in France which was 3 days and trust me I needed a shower!

My DH helped me with my shower after the triplets. I truly was a blessing to have in there to help me out.

You are going to do great. Best of luck.

4/27/12
    :girl: 3/20/13 18w5d

Haven't had a c-section but major surgery cut hip bone to hip bone and it is uncomfortable. I think the c section cut is smaller so that's good for you :-)

Bring with you some extra comforts like: baby wipes just to clean yourself up, dry shampoo is awesome before you can fully shampoo, and those disposable toothbrush pads that you put on your finger. You won't want to get up that much the first day and it helps you feel fresh and clean without having to run to the bathroom.

Good luck and best wishes!