Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Surrogates and Herpes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    10,754

    Default Surrogates and Herpes

    can you still be a surrogate and have herpes?

    thanks ya'll!:sunshine:
    Tammy
    mom to 4 and 1 on the way
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

  2. #2
    breana is offline Waiting to catch that egg
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Augusta, Maine
    Posts
    245

    Default

    What type of herpes are you asking about?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    somewhere out there
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    I am no expert, but I dont see why not. As long as one isnt having an active outbreak, it poses no risk to a baby being born. I think if you're having an outbreak, you might need a C section (I could be wrong on this part, though)

    Thank you Erica for the siggy!
    Former TS for E&E, m/c 4/09, chemical 9/09

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West coast
    Posts
    10,149

    Default

    I've heard yes and no. Yes you can but if you have an out break at the time of delivery then a c-section is needed so as not to infect the baby. And no because if you have an outbreak and don't get to a hospital in time and birth the baby vaginally, baby could get infected, etc.. I think it would really depend on the IP's, what they think and how open minded they are, the surrogates doctor clearing her and having a treatment plan during the pregnancy to avoid any outbreaks and the RE..if they will transfer to a surrogate with herpes.
    Kari
    Mom to Savanna (2003), Robert (2004) and Lilliann (2008)
    SurroMom to Tyler (2009), twins Emily and Joshua (2010) and Marie (2012).
    Retired and working on me now.
    Missing my friend Ray and father to Tyler, Emily and Joshua. Taken from this life by cancer too soon. You will never be forgotten. RIP 1-13-13

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the moment.. .. ..
    Posts
    13,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Looking2BGSinOR View Post
    I've heard yes and no. Yes you can but if you have an out break at the time of delivery then a c-section is needed so as not to infect the baby. And no because if you have an outbreak and don't get to a hospital in time and birth the baby vaginally, baby could get infected, etc.. I think it would really depend on the IP's, what they think and how open minded they are, the surrogates doctor clearing her and having a treatment plan during the pregnancy to avoid any outbreaks and the RE..if they will transfer to a surrogate with herpes.
    Yep, that's what I have heard as well. ;-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    It's been no secret my DH has HSV 2. You didn't say which but I assume you mean HSV 2 (because questions have come up about 1 and 2 in the past).

    If IP's can I don't see why an surrogate couldn't. The RE we talked to said for us DH needs to take meds 30 days prior to keep any shedding or outbreak from happening. I think it also depends on how sever yours is. My DH has never had an outbreak and the RE was confident everything would go just fine with the right treatment because he had never had an outbreak.

    Herpes is a skin to skin contact disease. It needs body cells to live. It dies within seconds of leaving the body. I think they would just do a c-section if it was active at birth.

    I also know per the RE if both surrogate and IF have the HSV 2 virus then there is 100 percent no risk because both already have the virus. He also said if IF has it and surrogate does not and they do the proper protocal there is a very low if any risk but he would not give a 100 percent no risk.

    Good luck! (if this is someone you know they may have a hard time matching. we have but then again with it being a surrogate it may not be as difficult as the IF is in no possible risk)
    Baby girl is here!! Finally finished our surro journey and happy!!! I can not thank my surro enough for what she done!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    10,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesandAmanda View Post
    It's been no secret my DH has HSV 2. You didn't say which but I assume you mean HSV 2 (because questions have come up about 1 and 2 in the past).

    If IP's can I don't see why an surrogate couldn't. The RE we talked to said for us DH needs to take meds 30 days prior to keep any shedding or outbreak from happening. I think it also depends on how sever yours is. My DH has never had an outbreak and the RE was confident everything would go just fine with the right treatment because he had never had an outbreak.

    Herpes is a skin to skin contact disease. It needs body cells to live. It dies within seconds of leaving the body. I think they would just do a c-section if it was active at birth.

    I also know per the RE if both surrogate and IF have the HSV 2 virus then there is 100 percent no risk because both already have the virus. He also said if IF has it and surrogate does not and they do the proper protocal there is a very low if any risk but he would not give a 100 percent no risk.

    Good luck! (if this is someone you know they may have a hard time matching. we have but then again with it being a surrogate it may not be as difficult as the IF is in no possible risk)
    I dont know the difference between the 2 but I would assume it was the genital herpes that my friend was referring too.

    I know that generally, herpes is not dangerous to a pregnancy and that active outbreaks during delivery are usually going to be delivered by c-section

    Thanks for your insite everyone. :)
    Tammy
    mom to 4 and 1 on the way
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the moment.. .. ..
    Posts
    13,978

    Default

    Herpes I is oral herpes and affects 99% of the population, though most may never get an actual cold sore. Herpes II is genital herpes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    10,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gestjenn View Post
    Herpes I is oral herpes and affects 99% of the population, though most may never get an actual cold sore. Herpes II is genital herpes.
    Thank you! :)
    Tammy
    mom to 4 and 1 on the way
    TS x 3
    Loving Life!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    I love the common misconception that herpes I is only on the mouth.

    Herpes I is also possible to have on the genitals. It happens when someone with oral herpes(herpes I) gives oral sex.

    Anyways, OB's will write a prescription for valtrex for someone with herpes of either type. I am not sure exactly what week the OB will do this. But its somewhere around 34-36 weeks.

    I love it..thank you momof1

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    East Bay California!!! :)
    Posts
    4,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcdiva View Post
    I love the common misconception that herpes I is only on the mouth.

    Herpes I is also possible to have on the genitals. It happens when someone with oral herpes(herpes I) gives oral sex.

    Anyways, OB's will write a prescription for valtrex for someone with herpes of either type. I am not sure exactly what week the OB will do this. But its somewhere around 34-36 weeks.
    Correct, the OB will prescribe Valtrex to help prevent any outbreaks prior to delivery. I work in L&D. I would say 99% of those that take valtrex at the end of pregnancy, don't have outbreaks. As long as your clear you can deliver vaginally. I would think it would be more an SM concern. What if she had never had a c/s? You could look at it both ways.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SW OHIO
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gestjenn View Post
    Herpes I is oral herpes and affects 99% of the population, though most may never get an actual cold sore. Herpes II is genital herpes.
    And 25% of the adult population in the US has HSV 2.

    Thanks April (momma2ethan) for the beautiful siggy!
    GSx1 Baby girl born 4/9/12 9lbs 4oz and absolutely gorgeous!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the moment.. .. ..
    Posts
    13,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcdiva View Post
    I love the common misconception that herpes I is only on the mouth.

    Herpes I is also possible to have on the genitals. It happens when someone with oral herpes(herpes I) gives oral sex.

    Anyways, OB's will write a prescription for valtrex for someone with herpes of either type. I am not sure exactly what week the OB will do this. But its somewhere around 34-36 weeks.
    Um.... Actually true, kinda. You can get oral herpes in the genitals but only once. After that you cannot have an outbreak of type I herpes in the genitals again. ;-)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gestjenn View Post
    Um.... Actually true, kinda. You can get oral herpes in the genitals but only once. After that you cannot have an outbreak of type I herpes in the genitals again. ;-)
    I disagree with you from personal experience. You can get a outbreak more than once with type I. The outbreaks are just not as bad each time you get it and they are not as frequent as type II. But you can still get them. For me I can get them when I get my period or stress.

    I have herpes type I, thanks to having oral sex years ago with someone who had a cold sore. Something btw that was failed to be mentioned in health class during sex ed I had when I was in high school!

    I have had more than one outbreak. Its not from more oral sex either since I no longer have oral sex since I tested positive for it years ago. How I miss it. lol

    But yea its possible to have more than one outbreak with having type I.

    I love it..thank you momof1

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcdiva View Post
    Its not from more oral sex either since I no longer have oral sex since I tested positive for it years ago. How I miss it. lol
    Sympathies to you, my dear. ;-)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in the moment.. .. ..
    Posts
    13,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcdiva View Post
    I disagree with you from personal experience. You can get a outbreak more than once with type I. The outbreaks are just not as bad each time you get it and they are not as frequent as type II. But you can still get them. For me I can get them when I get my period or stress.

    I have herpes type I, thanks to having oral sex years ago with someone who had a cold sore. Something btw that was failed to be mentioned in health class during sex ed I had when I was in high school!

    I have had more than one outbreak. Its not from more oral sex either since I no longer have oral sex since I tested positive for it years ago. How I miss it. lol

    But yea its possible to have more than one outbreak with having type I.
    That's really interesting. I had an outbreak once and freaked the *@&# out. :rotfl: Went to my doctor and was treated and tested. I was told because I only tested positive for type I that I'd never have a genital breakout again, and I haven't. Maybe I'm just lucky!! :@

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    From what I've read, HSV II has a .1% risk of transmission to the baby. However, in the majority of those cases, the transmission occurs when the mother gets herpes during the third trimester of her pregnancy and fails to notice symptoms and the virus sheds during the delivery.

    Also, in the cases of people that have already had the virus for over say 5 years or so, the mother's body has antibodies to the virus that transfers across the placental barrier to the baby to give the baby a natural immunity (kind of) to the virus so the risk of transmission is next to zero. However, if the mother is not open with her OB and no one notices the symptoms, the virus can be transmitted to the baby.

    Herpes infects less that 1 in 4 million babies. However, many of those infected have died and the survivors are usually in critical condition.

    Just an FYI, with Valtrex, viral shedding is 100% gone. They've done tests on women that take the drug and deliver and have done swabs to check to see if there's any outbreak or viral shedding at the time of delivery in those women, and no one has come back with any viral shedding while taking Valtrex or another antiviral medication to treat Herpes.

    Thanks April for the Sig!
    Maggie (disneymom) and Joni (angelmama) are my contact buddies!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    Here's some information:

    Neonatal herpes is not a reportable disease in most states, so there are no hard statistics on the number of cases nationwide. However, most researchers estimate between 1,000 and 3,000 cases a year in the United States, out of a total of 4 million births. To put this in greater perspective, an estimated 20-25% of pregnant women have genital herpes, while less than 0.1% of babies contract an infection. "Neonatal herpes is a remarkably rare event", says Zane Brown, MD, an expert on neonatal herpes and a member of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Washington. "Compared to all the other possible risks in a pregnancy, the risk of neonatal herpes is extremely small."

    "I think it's perceived to be more of a problem than it is", says Scott Roberts, MD a researcher in the Department of Maternal Fetal Medicine at the University of Kansas. "The rate of neonatal herpes is very low, even though the prevalence of genital herpes in our country is quite common."

    Transmission rates are lowest for women who acquire herpes before pregnancy -- one study (Randolph, JAMA, 1993) placing the risk at about 0.04% for such women who have no signs or symptoms of an outbreak at delivery. The chances of transmission are highest when a woman acquires genital herpes late in pregnancy.

    In about 90% of cases, neonatal herpes is transmitted when an infant comes into contact with HSV- 1 or 2 in the birth canal during delivery. There is a high risk of transmission if the mother has an active outbreak, because the likelihood of viral shedding during an outbreak is high. There is also a small risk of transmission from asymptomatic shedding (when the virus reactivates without causing any symptoms).

    Fortunately, babies of mothers with long-standing herpes infections have a natural protection against the virus. Herpes antibodies in the mother's blood cross the placenta to the fetus. These antibodies help protect the baby from acquiring infection during birth, even if there is some virus in the birth canal. That's the major reason that mothers with recurrent genital herpes rarely transmit herpes to their babies during delivery. Even women who acquire genital herpes during the first two trimesters of pregnancy are usually able to supply sufficient antibody to help protect the fetus.

    Thanks April for the Sig!
    Maggie (disneymom) and Joni (angelmama) are my contact buddies!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    in a school induced daze...
    Posts
    7,072

    Default

    just for knowledge you can also get type 2 in your mouth from oral sex! We jsut studied STD's in my patho class.


    "There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."
    After two years and 4 transfers, Graham was born on my birthday @ 8lb13oz 20in!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ninamom2three View Post
    Just an FYI, with Valtrex, viral shedding is 100% gone. They've done tests on women that take the drug and deliver and have done swabs to check to see if there's any outbreak or viral shedding at the time of delivery in those women, and no one has come back with any viral shedding while taking Valtrex or another antiviral medication to treat Herpes.
    This is some of what I was trying to say in regards to medicated. I don't know if thats why we were told there would be little to no risk if DH was medicated before insems and it was really good for him since he has never had an outbreak. But the Dr would not give a 100 percent no unless the surrogate had it as well (since you can't pass it a second time).

    You can get HSV 1 and 2 in other places than your genitals and mouth. But those places and other places are rare.

    There are people who have HSV 2 who are with long time partners and have children and the partner is free of the disease. My DH has had this about 7 years and we found out this year. We know he got it after being with his daughters mom and me. He was not careful inbetween. But regardless it is still hard to ask someone to risk it regarless if you feel their safe or not. And it will be somewhat hard to find someone to understand that the baby will be fine. Either way with time something hopefully will be positive for everyone.
    Baby girl is here!! Finally finished our surro journey and happy!!! I can not thank my surro enough for what she done!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •