Thread: Vivelle patches burning the skin

Default Vivelle patches burning the skin

The clinic I am using has me on those vivelle estrogen patches. I have 3 different spots where you can clearly tell I had the patches there. It looks like it burnt my skin.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?? The clinic would rather have their patients use the patches but my belly looks like someone had a field day with marking squares.

I have some raw spots as well. I just figured this was normal.

Thanks akamom!
    ~ 10/09 5dt of 2 fresh embroys ~ chemical
    ~ 03/10 5dt of 3 fresh embryos ~ m/c @ 5w5d
    ~ 07/20 5dt of 4 frozen embryos ~ m/c diagnosed @ 5w6d

My belly looks the same. Those things hurt when I take them off. I have had this all 3 times so figured it's normal. Mine isn't burning though. Just pulls my skin into little red sores. That's why you don't put them in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMinAL View Post
    I have some raw spots as well. I just figured this was normal.
    I dont think so. The spots I am talking about are from 2 weeks ago and it looks like I just took the patches off yesterday.

They probably did not burn you, your skin is probably irritated. When I take mine off the spot is very itchy for a while and red but when I take a shower it gets better.

Are you normally sensitive to glue on surgical tape and such? I have red spots for a week or so after removing a bandaid. I'm not allergic, just sensitive. I have spots from at least a week or so still.

Thanks akamom!
    ~ 10/09 5dt of 2 fresh embroys ~ chemical
    ~ 03/10 5dt of 3 fresh embryos ~ m/c @ 5w5d
    ~ 07/20 5dt of 4 frozen embryos ~ m/c diagnosed @ 5w6d

Quote Originally Posted by angelinwaiting View Post
    I dont think so. The spots I am talking about are from 2 weeks ago and it looks like I just took the patches off yesterday.
    YES!! and the longer I wore them (Meaning number of weeks and months I was on them at all) the more reactive my skin became. By the end they were RAISED, RED patches that lasted many days AFTER removing the patches. (and yes I used the remove stuff, and olive oit to soothe the skin). No I also didn't re-use the same spots for weeks. It was torture and the burning feeling did remain for several days t a week per removed spot. At first it was no reacion, but as the months went on I could barely keep them on.
    GS for Kristen88 and family.
    Emergency C-section for 80% placental abruption @ 23 weeks.
    Baby G. lived and passed 12/30/09

I have mild redness on my lower abdomen where I place them. I thought that was par for the course. It's not bad but I guess I thought it was more from the adhesive than the estrogen. Change location as best you can but I would ask the doc since some people can be so highly allergic to some things. Good luck.
    9/29 Transferred 2 chilled ones
    :bfp: 5dp5dt (yes I cheated)
    10/07 8dp5dt ~ 142
    10/12 13dp5dt ~ 1972

10/15 16dp5dt ~ 9168
    10/18 19dp5dt ~ 21,563

Not that I have experience with patches but I developed an allergy to adhesive in college after taping up a broken toe. I had laprascopic surgery that had tape holding the incisions shut and would scratch myself in my sleep. It was horrible, itchy red welts around healing incisions. It's usually only if I have adhesive that gets water under it somehow.
    My mom used estrogen patches for her menopause but developed an allergy as well and can no longer use them.
    If it's a problem, you should see what else they can do. It seems to be a more prevelant problem recently.
    Maggie
    Wife to C
    Mom to 2
    GSx1 B/G twins 4/11
    Due 1/31/13 with my own #3

I get these from BAND-AIDS.

Its probably a sensitivity/allergy to the adhesive.

I used these patches a few months after I had my ovaries removed and the same thing happened. The dr. said it was just my skin being sensative to the patch. Another thing I noticed, the more water got underneath it (like if it was on my butt and the shower water ran down it a lot), it was a lot worse. I tried keeping the shower stream away from the patch as much as possible.

I had the same problem with the patches. I'm allergic most adhesives so I knew I'd have issues and warned the clinic. I was on one kind then they switched me to vivelle saying they would be fine....nope. Once we had a positive beta thankfully they switched me to shots. It was a huge relief, my skin was so raw and itchy I felt like a dog with fleas!

There are alternatives if you ask. The clinic I'm using now only uses estrace pills, my last one was shots and suppositories. You don't want to damage your skin and the reaction could get worse. Good luck.
    Fallaways SM!
    Mom of three
    GS~twin boys 4-29-01
    GS~Kaylia 11-15-03 big sister
    GS~Colin 10-26-05 little brother
    GS~Desmond 12-09-10

Thanks for all the replies.

My skin doesnt itch ot hurt it just looks like a square that was burnt and discolored. I did develope an adhesive allergic reaction during my last pregnancy. I still have a bit of a scare from when the dr put a bandaid on my shoulder/arm. You really cant notice to much but you can tell the squares on my stomach. I do different spots each time so I look like a checker board all around.

I will let the clinic know so they can do something else.