Thread: Hummus Recipe?

Default Hummus Recipe?

Munchkin has been on a hummus kick and the commercial pre-packaged kind is really expensive around here. (I went through $18 in flavored hummus alone last week, crazy!) So I was thinking about making it but there are tons of different recipes.

Does anyone have a recipe for it that they really like?
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."

I don't have recipes for you, but do you have an Aldi's grocery store where you live by chance? I buy an awesome garlic hummus and a roasted red pepper hummus at Aldi's and I *think* it's only like $1.69...I know it's under $2, just can't remember exactly how much it is.
    Holly ~ wife & mom to 4
    GSx1 ~ twin girls 2/11/2000
    TSx2 to siblings ~ Sydney 1/8/04 & Adrian 11/15/05

Quote Originally Posted by imomx4 View Post
    I don't have recipes for you, but do you have an Aldi's grocery store where you live by chance? I buy an awesome garlic hummus and a roasted red pepper hummus at Aldi's and I *think* it's only like $1.69...I know it's under $2, just can't remember exactly how much it is.
    I normally don't shop there but I think we might have one. I'll have to look into it. Thanks! The only kind our Giant carries is almost $6 for a little 8 ounce container.
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I normally don't shop there but I think we might have one. I'll have to look into it. Thanks! The only kind our Giant carries is almost $6 for a little 8 ounce container.
    $6, YIKES!!! The containers at Aldi are little 8oz ones too...but that will be a BIG savings for you if you have an Aldi there!! It's by all the deli type stuff - potato salad & macaroni salad, and deli meats & stuff like that. They have a really good spinach and artichoke dip too, if you like that kind of thing! ;-)
    Holly ~ wife & mom to 4
    GSx1 ~ twin girls 2/11/2000
    TSx2 to siblings ~ Sydney 1/8/04 & Adrian 11/15/05

I buy the dry hummus mix in the bulk food section. Some stores carry it. You just mix with warm water and a drizzle of olive oil until it is the consistency you like.
    I cannot for the life of me find Tahini!

Oh, I just googled this........

This hummus recipe is perfect for those who like hummus, but not with tahini. Many children don't like tahini, so this is a great recipe to make for them.

* More hummus recipes

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 1 can garbanzo beans/chickepeas
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 1 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:
    In a food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Serve immediately with pita bread, pita chips, or veggies.

Store in a airtight container for up to three days.
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3
    Sibling Project 2014 Underway

I got some roasted garlic hummus at a Kroger store (not sure if you have any Kroger stores near you). Gawd its good. It would be nice to find a way to make this myself. I'll be watching this thread.

My fav is a tomato basil or something like that from Trader Joes. We eat alot of hummus. I bought a hot kind day before yesterday, oh my gosh my new FAV. :D

I have a recipe, but I'll have to dig it out. My cookbooks are somewhere in the garage. I've made it once and it was really good.... I buy canned chick peas.

You can buy tahini, or you can roast sesame seeds and then grind them into a paste in your food processor or blender. Garlic, olive oil, lemon, mmmm... now I am craving hummus.

If you do find a recipe you like, you can play around and substitute - I found edamame hummus at Trader Joes which is basically regular hummus but edamame instead of chick peas and it is SO good. You can add any spices you like (cilantro pecan is another really good one).

I just happen to have some TJ's garlic hummus in the fridge. Think I'll be pulling it out now :D

I'll try to find that recipe for you!

What do you eat hummus with?

I like mine on Pita bread and Feta cheese. Y ou can also use it as a dip for anything you dip, like veggies and crackers. etc.
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3

Quote Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
    I buy the dry hummus mix in the bulk food section. Some stores carry it. You just mix with warm water and a drizzle of olive oil until it is the consistency you like.
    I cannot for the life of me find Tahini!

Oh, I just googled this........

This hummus recipe is perfect for those who like hummus, but not with tahini. Many children don't like tahini, so this is a great recipe to make for them.

* More hummus recipes

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 1 can garbanzo beans/chickepeas
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 1 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:
    In a food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Serve immediately with pita bread, pita chips, or veggies.

Store in a airtight container for up to three days.
    I'll try the recipe and make a search for the dry hummus mix. I'd just rather experiment with something "tried and true" than at random from the net. And when I googled, I was overwhelmed by the variety if ways to make it...but this looks really simple compared to most of them...

Quote Originally Posted by twolilones0002 View Post
    My fav is a tomato basil or something like that from Trader Joes. We eat alot of hummus. I bought a hot kind day before yesterday, oh my gosh my new FAV. :D
    I wish we had a nearby trader joe's...but the closest one is a 2 hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by babymakes2 View Post
    I have a recipe, but I'll have to dig it out. My cookbooks are somewhere in the garage. I've made it once and it was really good.... I buy canned chick peas.

You can buy tahini, or you can roast sesame seeds and then grind them into a paste in your food processor or blender. Garlic, olive oil, lemon, mmmm... now I am craving hummus.

If you do find a recipe you like, you can play around and substitute - I found edamame hummus at Trader Joes which is basically regular hummus but edamame instead of chick peas and it is SO good. You can add any spices you like (cilantro pecan is another really good one).

I just happen to have some TJ's garlic hummus in the fridge. Think I'll be pulling it out now :D

I'll try to find that recipe for you!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 9monthnanny View Post
    What do you eat hummus with?
    I like mine on Triscuits or as a dip for raw veggies.

My daughter (age 8) has recently discovered it and so far has eaten it on waffles, toast, bagel, 3 types of crackers, a whole wheat wrap, and an assortment of veggies. I keep my mouth shut and don't make faces. As snacks go, it's a fairly healthy dip or spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I'll try the recipe and make a search for the dry hummus mix. I'd just rather experiment with something "tried and true" than at random from the net. And when I googled, I was overwhelmed by the variety if ways to make it...but this looks really simple compared to most of them...

I agree about Tried and True but Hummus is simply chickpeas and olive oil with some stuff for flavor. so I cannot imagine it would be difficult or gross. I dont think you can screw up hummus! LOL

I have also had roasted red pepper hummus and black bean hummus, roasted garlic, jalapeno, etc. All super yummy! I think you should by a few cans of chickpeas and have fun!
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3

I had a friend make some at work and it was very yummy!! She got the recipe from William and Sonoma website under kid snack foods.

I LOVE it from Trader Joes...easy enough to imitate though...

Man all this hummus talk, I will have to have some with dinner tonight now. I love eating mine with pita/nan bread.

Man all this hummus talk, I will have to have some with dinner tonight now. I love eating mine with pita/nan bread.
    oh, I love naan! :HEARTSMIL
    Tammy
    Mom to 5
    TS x 3

I have one at www.mannaevolved.blogspot.com. It's on the last page. i can never find tahini so I substitute sesame seed oil and yogurt...it's yummy. You can go with or without the roasted red peppers, or put another flavor in (like sundried tomatoes). And it's pretty darn cheap to make. That recipe makes a TON!

ETA: here ya go:

1 bag (1lb) dried chick peas, reconstituted

1 jar (15oz) roasted red peppers (15 oz), drained. I like Mezzetta

1/2-1 cup fat-free plain yogurt

1 tbsp sesame seed oil

3 tsps cumin

2 tsps coriander

1 1/2 tsps cayenne pepper

2 tbsps lemon juice

2 tsps salt

3-6 cloves garlic

fresh ground pepper

Prepare the chick peas according to the instructions on the bag. Basically boil them in water until they're almost/kind of falling apart and soft. Strain them.

Do about half the chick peas at a time in the food processor (if you need to. I don't have a huge food processor and it had a hard time handling all of them). Add everything else, in any order that you feel appropriate . I feel that it's easier to get the texture right, so I start with the lemon juice, oil, red peppers, and yogurt. You'll mix it all together in the end, so it doesn't matter really when you put in the rest of the stuff, but I typically try to split it up. It makes me feel more balanced.