Thread: Anyone ever pass out from coughing?!?

Default Anyone ever pass out from coughing?!?

My hubby has been soooo sick. My daughter too. They have this horrible cough. I dont think i have ever seen them this sick before.

But on Sunday night...my hubby had a coughing attack and passed out from it. I won't go into the details..just to say he was shaking, drooling and it was just a awful site that my 13 year old saw. Poor thing she screamed bloody murder and fell to the floor and covered her eyes.

The other girls were upstairs. I looked over after she screamed and he was slumped over on the loveseat. I jumped up went over and pushed him back and started tapping his face..while i was yelling for the phone to dial 911.(i thought maybe he was having a heart attack)

But he came to while i was on the phone with 911. Stood up telling me he was fine and it was OK, that he just passed out.

But i was so scared i was shaking and the ambulance came anyway and checked him out and said he was fine and their was no need to go tot he ER that these things happen.

So he went to see his family doctor that said the same thing..it's pretty commom.

Well..i don't care how commom it is...it scared the he** out of all of us!

Has this happened to you or anyone you know???

Now every time he coughs i am scared to death. I did some research about it on the net and it too says..it happens. Something to do with a nerve or something in the back of the neck.(too much medical terms)

My poor daughter just cried and cried that night laying on him.

Anyone know any home cures to get rid of a cough? All the doc did is give him cough syrup.

Oh my I'm so sorry, I've never even knew that. Glad he's ok!!

GSX1 :boy: 6lbs.11oz.:girl: 6lbs.4oz.

Scary! :yikes: But I never heard of that! Glad that he is feeling better!

SweetMarie is offline Banned-previous accounts already registered & banned beautfuldayz & traditionalsurro

I've never heard of that either. That must have been terrifying! I'm sorry your child had to see that...

Hey Kim. I see you are in Ohio. I only mention this because I am in Wisconsin, and we have had a Whooping cough (Pertussis) outbreak in the midwest the past 2 years. I am a RN at a university, and we've actually had several documented cases on campus this year. Do you know if your husband has had a Tetanus booster with the pertussis vaccine in it in the past few years? It's called the Tdap. If not, I would have him screened for Whooping cough. Often people with pertussis will cough (or whoop) until they just cannot get enough air. It's scary, but he may need antibiotics. I worry more for the people who might have had direct exposure to him, if that's what is going on, as they will need prophylactic antibiotics as well. He also could have pneumonia, bronchitis or pleurisy. Has he been running a fever? Bringing up anything when he coughs? How has he been sleeping, any night sweats or shortness of breath when he lies down? I really would have him evaluated. Good Luck!!

"If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

vagus nerve will do that. my brother in law had an episode like that a few years ago during a coughing fit. you sometimes can pass out when the vagus nerve is stimulated or if you have an arrythmia undiagnosed. Hope you find some answers.
    Jennifer, wife, mother, TSx3

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIM View Post
    Hey Kim. I see you are in Ohio. I only mention this because I am in Wisconsin, and we have had a Whooping cough (Pertussis) outbreak in the midwest the past 2 years. I am a RN at a university, and we've actually had several documented cases on campus this year. Do you know if your husband has had a Tetanus booster with the pertussis vaccine in it in the past few years? It's called the Tdap. If not, I would have him screened for Whooping cough. Often people with pertussis will cough (or whoop) until they just cannot get enough air. It's scary, but he may need antibiotics. I worry more for the people who might have had direct exposure to him, if that's what is going on, as they will need prophylactic antibiotics as well. He also could have pneumonia, bronchitis or pleurisy. Has he been running a fever? Bringing up anything when he coughs? How has he been sleeping, any night sweats or shortness of breath when he lies down? I really would have him evaluated. Good Luck!!

He asked the doctor about a breathing treatment and the doc said he had no weezing so he didnt need that. Yes, they have all had a fever and stuffy nose, ect. Yucky stuff coming up with they cough. And they don't hardly sleep because of the coughing. The doc gave my daughter some cough syrup with morphine in it and its help just a tiny bit.

We have already said if it don't break soon we are jut going to the ER and then i will ask about the things you have said. I will call his doc and see if he has had that shot or not.

I feel so bad for them with this darn cough.

Smile Home Made Cough Medicine

I looked for this because I have heart problems and was looking for something with all natural ingredients. The formula on this web page works really good. Don't be put off that one of the ingredients is Cayenne Pepper. This stuff works better than any cough medicine I've ever taken.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons water

Directions:
    1 Mix ingredients.
    2 Take by the teaspoon as often as needed for cough.
    3 Do not give to infants under 12 months due to the honey (though I doubt you could get them to take it anyway!).

Source
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...medicine-56268

Quote Originally Posted by GDRobins View Post
    I looked for this because I have heart problems and was looking for something with all natural ingredients. The formula on this web page works really good. Don't be put off that one of the ingredients is Cayenne Pepper. This stuff works better than any cough medicine I've ever taken.

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons water

Directions:
    1 Mix ingredients.
    2 Take by the teaspoon as often as needed for cough.
    3 Do not give to infants under 12 months due to the honey (though I doubt you could get them to take it anyway!).

Source
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...medicine-56268
    I've tried this before when desperate and pregnant with cracked ribs from coughing. Worked better than the cough syrup with morphine. Tastes about as bad as typical cough syrup ;)
    Sarah
    Mom to 3 girls
    GSx1 Twin girls 3/16/11
    GSx2 Boy 12/3/12
    GSx3 Girl 8/10/14!

Sounds like cough syncope. This happened to me at the dentist one time. Scared the crap out of me and them. I was rushed to the hospital(I was pregnant) and they found no real cause. I hope he is feeling better!

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=5612

ETA:just noticed the date...seriously hope he is better by now!!!
    Last edited by LauraElizabeth; 08-12-2012 at 08:15 PM.