Thread: Delivering baby while sick

Default Delivering baby while sick

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has delivered a baby while sick with a bad head cold. I am due on Friday (so really anytime) and I got the worst cold last night which hit me like a ton of bricks. One of my fears has always been to give birth while sick - it doesn't sound like fun at all. And what happens afterwards? Will I not even get to hold the baby because I'm sick. I usually expect the worst, but I'm hoping that this doesn't turn out to be a bad experience. I'm just praying that I don't pick up my kids' coughs also.
    Any advice or input about what I should do would be appreciated!

awww.....i hope you feel better.

try taking some vitamin c and good luck!

I agree with April, load up on the vitamin C and plenty of rest...
    Good Luck :sunshine:

PLEASE call your OB and let them know.

My SIL just went through he** after her cold/cough turned into pneumonia after she delivered. She was severely sick and ended up in ICU. She had a c section, so that might not happen after a vaginal delivery, I don't know.

I would not want anyone else to have to go through what we went through 2 weeks ago.

I am sure..you are just fine, but just take that quick trip and be sure.

*disclaimer* I may just be paranoid now..but it just worries me. ;-)

I delivered my fist with a very bad cold. They kept drugging me to keep me from having a csec as labor was a few days long. She was a very big baby 9lbs 11oz. So when I finally did deliver her I had to have a episiotomy (sp?) and coughing wasn't going so good. I ended up getting pneumonia from my lack of coughing. Start treating your self good. I was able to see her and care for her and she didn't get anding from me, thank goodness.

Just did that last August! When I started coming down with a nasty cold I was thinking this would be the worst possible time to go into labor and wouldn't you know it I woke up the next morning in labor but it wasn't that bad at all. Although I had been very sick I did not even notice that while in labor. I was worried I would give it to my baby but nobody at the hospital was. If you are breastfeeding your baby will get antibodies to fight it. Thankfully he did not get sick and with the meds they gave me for afterpains I was not uncomfortable either. It was actually nice to lay in bed all day and be taken care of rather than keeping up with my other four children ages 3-8!

No experience with that here but I just want to send you some well wishes gal. I hope that you start feeling better soon and get rid of the cold before the birth. Good luck and take it super easy for the next few days!

I had the most horrid case of bronchitis with my last delivery. I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to breathe while laboring/delivering. I did just fine.
    I get bronchitis or something every year, never fails, and it last for months. I am already worrying that I will have the same nasty cough when I deliver this baby late March, early April.

I hope you are feeling better soon and are over it all before you deliver!
    Good luck!
    Amy
    Momx3
    GSx2
    What's next?:spin:

You wouldn't think it from the posts here, but I was near term many years back when I got a cold like that and I was worried about going into labor while sick. My midwife, who was also my step mother so we talked a lot, told me that in general, your body won't let you go into labor while sick. Yes, it is nice to have your midwife's home number and to know she won't screen your calls! LOL!

Either way, I hope you're better before going into labor!

Mom to: Gavin(7/11/99), Angel Anily (b/d 2/23/03), Jessica (6/2/04), and Asher (5/22/06)
    Wife to military guy Kris; GSX2 to M&R Due April 9th 2011!
    Fulltime computer software dork

http://robynanne.wordpress.com

GSOh is offline Shaking this baby weight.

I had colds both times I delivered my kids, stuffy nose and cough. My husband thought it was very funny after my son was delivered and my OB was getting ready to stitch me up and I kept coughing and everytime I coughed I was peeing on my OB. I was mortified and my husband was just sad he didn't video tape it.

I delivered my first (vaginally) with a terrible cold. I bet labor was a little harder for me b/c of it but all went just fine. I did have to have the O2 mask just b/c my nose wasn't getting enough oxygen in for both of us.

I had a sinus infection when I went into labor with my 3rd. I didn't know it until I started running a fever during labor. My OB just gave me some antibiotics and said the baby had my immune system and would be fine. We stayed an extra day in the hospital, but all was well.
    Angie
    Mom to 3 Boys & 1 Princess
    Step-Mom to 2 boys
    Surro Mom to little Andrew born 10/30/2009

Unhappy

I hope you feel better soon!!

Our son was born on 3-29-13
    Our 6th child...a GIRL...due 1/21/15