Thread: Gestational Surrogacy in Louisiana

Default Gestational Surrogacy in Louisiana

Can anyone offer any advice/help on whether LA is surrogate-friendly and maybe some details? We have a wonderful (AMAZING!) potential surrogate in LA and we live in PA.

I am sorry, but I don't know the answer. It appears that there is a LA statute that prohibits traditional surrogacy, but is silent on gestational surrogacy. I was at a legal conference of ART attorney and there was one attorney there from LA. I have sent her an e-mail and will let you know what she says.

Stay tuned,
    Diane

Okay, I'm back. I have confirmation that the law in LA prohibits traditional surrogacy. With respect to gestational surrogacy, you need to set it up very carefully, with an attorney, so that you don't run afoul of legal restrictions -- e.g., it sounds like you may not be able simply to pay her a fee. (That is true in a number of states where surrogates can be reimbursed for expenses but not be compensated.) If you e-mail me at dhinson@creativefamilyconnections.com, I will forward to you the contact information for an attorney in LA.

Good luck!

Diane

Hi Diane,

I am hoping to be a GS and found some great IP's. We both are from Louisiana, and was hoping that we could get the name of the attorney you are referring to. Thanks.
    Shantel