Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good, Bad, and Ugly about Tubal ligation

Default The Good, Bad, and Ugly about Tubal ligation

So my family is DEFINETELY complete has been since I delivered my dd in 04 and dh has said he will get the big V but when??? LOL my dd is almost 4.

I am within 7w of delivery and need to decide if i want a tubal or not. for some reason this answer does not come to me easily.

I will be seeing my dh @7-8w after delivery and want some good birth control by the time he comes home!!
    Mom to Four
    GSx1 11-11-06 Mason
    GSx2 7-24-08 Fallon and Adrian

I hear ya on that aspect....i had planned on doing it afterwards regardless of a csection or not, then i said "no, wait...i'll get the IUD". But now i am having 2nd thoughts again because of all the warnings i have been reading on iud's..(regardless of the fact there will be like 50 people on here who ell me its safe- blah blah blah...i dont want to run the risk....).we wont have anymore kids unless my husband gets hit in the head pretty bad and has a change of heart, and i am fine with it, besides, i would have to put everything on hold i have been waiting to do after all this and i dont want to do that.

its just hard to make that choice, because its almost permanant, i know if i have it done ill have a reversable tubal done......and probably no one will know i had it done, because ill get the greif from them all and the typical "you're soo young, why'd you do that"........

i hope you figure out your option :)

I just want to say MAKE 100% SURE before you get the tubal.

I regret getting mine. I didn't want it and my ex husband (who is an a$$) kind of forced me to. I wish now I hadn't. I have been remarried for 10 years and hubby and I would have loved to have 1 of our own, but couldn't afford the reversal, and now, with my age, its too late to start trying. Getting a tubal was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.
    GSx1 11/02/09 to Skylar @42 weeks
    GSx2 02/09/11 to Ava & Oliver @ 32w5d

I regret every day that I had a tubal ligation. I thought I was making the right decision at the time ~ and I was young. THANKFULLY, the OB that did the procedure 3 months after I delivered my son, took into consideration my age (even though I already had 3 children) and used a Falope Ring and didn't use the Pomeroy Technique orParkland or Irving procedures.

Here's a good website that explains the different procedures (scroll to the bottom for the links).
    http://www.tubal-reversal.net/tubal_...on_Pomeroy.htm

When DH and I were transferring #3, my Mom asked me if I resent her for pushing the tubal on me when I was younger. For the first time as an adult, I lied to my Mother and told her "No". I don't resent her, but upset with myself that I allowed that type of influence on me and made a decision that I regret so much. Maybe if TTC after the reversal wasn't so difficult for me, I wouldn't say that but since it is, and we're done if this cycle fails - it's hard.

Anyway, if you aren't 100% sure on your decision, take some time. You don't have to have it done when you deliver.

Also, make sure that you know what procedure your OB/GYN is using and if you have a particular one in mind, request it. Take it from me.....you never know what the future will hold.

Hugs!!

Jennifer
    Wife & Mom to 3 young adults, an adorable toddler and preemie son
    GSx2 to Siblings; Sarah (12/04) & Ryan (1/06)
    Mommy to 5 angels in heaven
    Donor Embryo Recipient ~ 10/06 (m/c @ 14w & 2 chemicals)
    Tubal Reversal Surgery ~ 11/07
    Failed Adoption ~ 2/09-10/09
    Failed attempts w/a TS ~ 12/09-6/10
    I delivered 'Our Little Miracle' in July, 2011 ~ 9.2lbs ~ 22.25" long
    Our son arrived at 34 weeks Oct 7th ~ 4lbs 12ozs ~ 17.75" long
    Our family is complete!!

I guess I'm the minority here.

I had it done 11 years ago and do not regret it for one day. I knew my family was done. I felt that way then and I still feel that way today, all these years later. I was 22 when I had my tubal done.

The only thing I have noticed as a side effect is a nasty scar and I have more painful ovuation and crampiness since. Possibly could blame my weight gain on it too. However, I am getting older so those are things that come with age as well. (or so I hear.....) I hear it all the time....you're 33 now, not getting any younger....blah, blah, blah. I still feel like I'm a kid!
    BTW...most people don't have the huge nasty scar but for some reason, my doc did the cut from the navel to the pubic bone. I don't think it's common to do it that way, but he did (old school I guess). Since he cut through those abdominal muscles, it's harder for me to get rid of the flab on my abs!

The only advice I have is make positive sure you are done with your own family. As we all know, it's devastating for those that want to have more and can't.
    Amy
    Momx3
    GSx2
    What's next?:spin:

The only regret that I have about mine is that I can't do another TS journey. I honestly thought I would never get pregnant again. That's why I did it. But man this surrogacy stuff is addicting, but Im happy that I chose GS so in a way everything is just great.

And btw---Im only 24. Im finished having children. Had we had two boys or two girls, we would have tried again to get the opposite sex, but since we had one of each we are happy.

People gave me heck about it because they said, well what if somethign were to happen and one of your children died. and my response---nobody could take the place of that child, not even another child. So if something like that were to happen, well then it was just supposse to be that way and we would continue living our lives.

Its a totally personal decision that can't be made by anyone but you and DH. Is DH on board with you having it? It is good birth control....but are you DONE? Is there any doubt in your mind?

Those are the questions my OB asked me before getting mine done. There was not a doubt in my mind and thats why I did it.

Im not sure how it works with hormones. My mom said after she got hers done she was a hormonal mess for days. I got mine done during my csection and had some crappy hormonal crap..but I had just given birth too, so not sure if it was from that or what.
    Bethany
    Momma to D and L
    TS to Kyle for IP's J and D 10/12/2007
    GS to Oded and Yoav for IF's E and R 07/04/2012
    NOW RETIRED
    http://mybelly-theirbabies.blogspot.com/
    http://motherhoodbeyond.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/IowaMomma

I just had mine done last March the day after I delivered Cass. They let me stay awake with a spinal so I didn't have to be put completely out but they refused to let me watch the procedure. I'm happy with the tubal.

My scar is currently about an inch and a half long, just below my navel. No unusual side effects yet. It was done with Filshie Clips, destroying the smallest portion of tube, only a few millimeters. I got my post-operative report the other day and it was kind of neat to read.
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."

I had a tubal done the morning after I gave birth to our 3rd son, and never had any type of complications or difficulties because of it. I was more sore when I went home that I would have been from just giving birth, but at least it wasn't a totally separate procedure to recover from. I do agree that you should make sure, first, that you don't want to have any more children since you can always have it done later... good luck with your decision!

I had it done in June of last year, so it's been an entire year for me!! I was 23 when I had it done.

It hurt like heck! I had some endomitriosis that they took care of when they did the tubal, so I dont know if that contributed to the pain or what. I had an incision in my navel, and also right above my pubic bone. The scars are not bad at all, you cant even notice the one in the belly button, and the other one is only an inch long and I dont really care about it.

I was knocked out, and had to have a breathing tube because of the gas they use to inflate your stomach. My throat was sore that day, but was fine the next day. The gas they use can hurt your shoulder, and if I would lay funny it would be really painful on my shoulder for about a week after.

I don't regret it yet, but we had kids really young and are looking forward to them being older and getting to do more adult like stuff with them (going to amusement parks, ball games, stuff little kids cant really enjoy as much) so the idea of having another baby isnt that appealing to us. We have also considered adopting an older child or siblings, so that also played into our decision not to have any more.

I had mine done 11yrs ago at 22 and never regret it a day in my life!!! If it's the choice for you and your sure you don't want any more kids than I say go for it!!!

I had it done. If I had the choice again, I wouldn't do it, I would of been MORE stern that DH got himself snipped.

I had mine done 4 yrs ago. I regret it everyday. Not for the fact I want another child because I medically am in danger with my life if I do. But for the fact of the medical aspect. I have researched symptoms I have had and found many many woman developed same issues and some I don't have. I developed irregular periods, pains in my sides where my ovaries are, when I did bleed it was heavy and for up to two and a half weeks. Sometimes I would bleed two weeks off two weeks etc. Some times it was one period a year. Come to find out I developed PCOS induced from my tubal ligation (one reason we went for TS, dr said my eggs would be poor quality for GS). I have so many cyst's. When I saw the spider web looking thing on the ultrasound I was horrified at the look of it. It bothered me for months. There are other issues I have along with the ligation. I started growing hair in places I should not have it, mainly my face. I should not have to shave my face like a man.

If I knew now what I knew then I would NEVER have got it done. I would find another way to keep from a pregnancy.

If you have it done I pray you do not have the issues I and others have went through, it is horrible if you do. There is an actual syndrom (sp) that has been given to woman whom have had issues from the tubal ligation but I would have to relook up the info.
    Baby girl is here!! Finally finished our surro journey and happy!!! I can not thank my surro enough for what she done!!!

I do not ever regret having mine done 4 years ago last month!

I have pain on the side I am ovulating from but I had that before I had the TL done, that I have been told increases with the number of pregnancies you have and with age, not just from the TL.

I have very heavy periods since I had the twins last May but before that for the first 2 years after my TL my periods were normal, timely, not very painful, etc.

Everyone is going to have their own personal experience with the TL just like some women heal quickly after a c-section when others are in terrible shape for quite a while after a c-section.

More than any of the possible side effects you have to be certain you are done having your own children!!

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."
    After two years and 4 transfers, Graham was born on my birthday @ 8lb13oz 20in!

I had mine done, and then undone. My periods have already improved.
    There's a Dr in Mexico that a lot of women go to. I know Mexico right? lol
    He has good rates, he's a lot cheaper than other Drs (I went to a Dr in Houston). There's a message board devoted to TRs and the Dr in Mexico has his own board where you can talk to patients of his.

Twin boys 7/18/12 (37 weeks)
    A- 5lbs 7oz 19"
    B- 5lbs 9oz 19"

I do not want anymore kids!!! i have 4, one which is adopted and had in utero drug exposure and Fetal Alcohol Effect. this is not a decision I will regret, im 31 and i dont consider that young in the fertitlity world since i cant donate eggs

I want to know about the stuff i hear about post tubal ligation pains etc
    Mom to Four
    GSx1 11-11-06 Mason
    GSx2 7-24-08 Fallon and Adrian

Honestly, after having 4 kids and being a single parent, to this day I regret it. What if I meet someone and get married who has no kids? What a hassle with no guarantees. I just think you should wait until all the hormones of pregnancy have left you because I was pressured by well-meaning family and friends who told me that I didn't need any more kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaKay View Post
    I do not want anymore kids!!! i have 4, one which is adopted and had in utero drug exposure and Fetal Alcohol Effect. this is not a decision I will regret, im 31 and i dont consider that young in the fertitlity world since i cant donate eggs

I want to know about the stuff i hear about post tubal ligation pains etc
    I have almost the same issues as JamesandAmanda has. Pain on my sides during ovulation. I also have another pain that I get a few times a month that I was told is due to scare tissue and there isn't anything you can do about it.

The long drawn out heavy periods, and the cysts.

Thats all I can think of right now. Those are the reasons that if I could go back, I wouldn't do it again.

no thank you on this either. I am voting against it.
    but hey thats just me. It is way easier for a man to get his dona than a woman.. plus the reversal is easier say something that bizzarre would happen like changing your mind. etc..
    GL with the decision

I had considered gettting a tubal after th twins were born but we decided that it was better for my hubby to get it and so he did and it went great.

I know several women who are experiencing PTLS after they underwent a tubal ligation. You may want to look at the following website that gives a description of Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome, or better yet have your husband look at it.

Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome

Perhaps if your husband realizes that he is putting you at greater risk than what he would ever have with a vasectomy he would be more willing to follow through. PTLS can directly effect future intimacy and if all else fails this should be motivation to do something on his part!:rotfl: PTLS is also grossly under reported as few women really know what it is. Some women just assume their problems are attributed to their last birth or just that they are getting older.

When my husband learned about PTLS along with me guilt-tripping him over having given birth to NINE babies he was much more motivated to pursue a vasectomy!