Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Mama Not a good view of surrogates...

Default Baby Mama Not a good view of surrogates...

http://www.babymamamovie.net/

Someone else shared this with me. It's a little offensive.
    Mom to 5.
    TS 4X
    Lied to by IP's #4, hope they don't screw another person over.

There are several threads on this movie, and I believe the general consensus is that it is a comedy, not a documentary.

I think it looks hilarious and like a lot of other people, the Michigan gang is getting together on Friday to go see it.

To me it's not any different than any other movie that makes a comedy out of something.

It's a comedy. The optimistic ones are saying that maybe it will open a good dialoge for the reality of surrogates.

Quote Originally Posted by lisajones22 View Post
    It's a comedy. The optimistic ones are saying that maybe it will open a good dialoge for the reality of surrogates.
    This is how I am viewing it for now. There has already been an increase in the media reports on surrogacy. Of course, many of those have negative leans to them, but I think this movie is doing a good job of putting surrogacy on the forefront so that we at least have our foot in the door, so to speak. With the attention pointed to surrogacy in general, there is now at least the chance for more focus to be shown on the REAL side of surrogacy, and hopefully without the negative connotations.

I followed the link the OP has n her post, and on the movie's website, they have an area for people to post their true stories about surrogacy -- if we were to all post, perhaps we could shed some (positive) realism on the subject? BTW, I think it looks funny and will at least introduce the subject of surrogacy to the general public -- i have no problem showing off my beautiful almost 8 week old daughter and educating people about the subject, but it would be great to get the message to more people!

Quote Originally Posted by NatSarkBeck View Post
    I followed the link the OP has n her post, and on the movie's website, they have an area for people to post their true stories about surrogacy -- if we were to all post, perhaps we could shed some (positive) realism on the subject? BTW, I think it looks funny and will at least introduce the subject of surrogacy to the general public -- i have no problem showing off my beautiful almost 8 week old daughter and educating people about the subject, but it would be great to get the message to more people!
    I think many of us have already posted our stories; hopefully more of us will!

I posted on the website!!

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."
    After two years and 4 transfers, Graham was born on my birthday @ 8lb13oz 20in!

HOPEFULLY it will be an open door to those who want more info on surrogacy, the REALITY of surrogacy. :HEARTSMIL
    Susan R - Mom to 2 boys & GS to 8 Surrobabes
    Pregnant with OUR Baby Girl/Surrogate Advocate

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people will figure out that we can pee in a toilet rather than a sink with or without a child lock on the toilet. (preview of clip)

LOL!

I agree with all you ladies!
    Actually IM and I and any surros/ips who are in the San Diego area May 14th are welcome to come along and see it! We are aiming for around 6-7 show time!! hehe

June 28,2010 Chase Carrington (TwinA)born 34w 3d 4lbs 14ozs and 17.4 in &
    Shay London(TwinB)born 34w 3d 4lbs 10ozs and 17.8 in. They are just amazing!
    April 2,2010 Jonathan Alexander Liam born 36w 6d 6lbs 15ozs and 20 1/2 inches long! He's beautiful and perfect!!
    October 18,2013 Lilianna Angelique Samantha born 38w1d 6lbs12ozs 20 1/2 inches long! Beautiful dark hair!!

Default Cheese Louise

It's a COMEDY, Those women are comedic actors. It's a joke, it' s sill,
    it's meant to be sill.
    Tina Fey ( the IM) is JUST AS nutty as Amy Pohler ( the GS).
    They are both gooofy & funny . I have seen countless movies where women
    of all sorts are depicted as lunatics, jealous, b*tchy, eyc.
    I have seen numerous movies where gay men are depicted as flamboyant and
    flashy & dancy & nutty ( Jack on Will & Grace).
    It's stereo type comedy.
    As an IM I can say that this movies doesn't reflect what I think of surrogacy
    or of GS's , it's a comedy. As an IM this movie would NOT cause me to disrespect my surro.
    As an IM and general human with a sense of humor this is a comedy just like any movie in which
    Adam Sandler plays a woman's romantic interest while
    acting like a 10 year old. Funny, joke, not an insult.
    Please relax unless any of you surro's have been dropped by your IP's over this movie or treated like a joke by your RE over this movie.
    Can't we laugh? Actually the joke is on the woman who couldn't have the child if you want to get technical.
    That woman was desperate enough to hook up with the nutty surro,
    the IM looks silly in a real scenario...but this isn't real.
    It's only a movie. Sorry but comic relief isn't a bad thing and really these
    aren't major dramatic actors making a statement . They're COMEDIANS

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane9996 View Post
    it's meant to be sill.
    It's stereo type comedy.
    or of GS's , it's a comedy. As an IM this movie would NOT cause me to disrespect my surro.
    As an IM and general human with a sense of humor this is a comedy just like any movie in which
    Please relax unless any of you surro's have been dropped by your IP's over this movie or treated like a joke by your RE over this movie.
    Can't we laugh? Actually the joke is on the woman who couldn't have the child if you want to get technical.
    AMEN Donna!! :D

Donna, I don't think our point of contention with the movie is what we in the surrogacy community feel about the movie, it's what the general public who doesn't know the first thing about surrogacy might feel about it.

I think that all of us can agree that the movie will be funny and most of us I'm sure will be able to laugh freely about the comedy. But we can also know what is clearly fact and fiction, where the producers and writers have stretched the truth a bit, and which portrayals are pure stereotype to add to the comedic flavor.

Most of the general population who goes to view the movie doesn't have a knowledge base about surrogacy, and what they do have is likely based upon the negative and slanted stereotypes that the media has already established by focusing on the surrogacy stories gone wrong and all of the spins about surrogates being in it for quick and easy money.

I know better, but the public doesn't. Though we can go enjoy the movie and see take it at face value for what it's worth (which is merely a comedy), if any of us feel any bits of negativity towards the movie, it's because it has the potential to add to the general public's stereotyped view of surrogacy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tiggermom View Post
    There are several threads on this movie, and I believe the general consensus is that it is a comedy, not a documentary.

I think it looks hilarious and like a lot of other people, the Michigan gang is getting together on Friday to go see it.

To me it's not any different than any other movie that makes a comedy out of something.

I also don't think any normal person is going to think, considering it's a comedy and who is in it, that it is a true picture of surrogacy.

Our son was born on 3-29-13
    Our 6th child...a GIRL...due 1/21/15

Quote Originally Posted by Kymztwinz View Post
    I know better, but the public doesn't. Though we can go enjoy the movie and see take it at face value for what it's worth (which is merely a comedy), if any of us feel any bits of negativity towards the movie, it's because it has the potential to add to the general public's stereotyped view of surrogacy.
    This is why it will be so interesting to see what kinds of reactions we get when wearing a "Proud surrogate" t-shirt. I'm wearing the shirt because I'm proud, but I'm also dying to know what people will say. With groups going to see it, I think people will be much more likely to question us. When we went to the Chicago gtg, we were very vocal about who we were, and people were fascinated. I thought the reaction to us was good.

Thanks for the siggy, delphi!

I think as surrogates we really have to keep an open mind to everything. With this movie, I think it will be much better then a movie that is serious and shows a HORRIBLE side of surrogacy. It will be a funny movie and I cant wait to see it. My husband got a laugh out of it. We just have to see the movie before we have a real set vision on it but always be thankful it's nothing that will show the worst side of things which none of us would truely want.

Quote Originally Posted by NatSarkBeck View Post
    I posted my story!!!!

I think the movie will be funny... I also think that the movie will bring about a lot of misconceptions about surrogacy... Just because the general public doesnt have realistic knowledge of what a surrogate/IP situation is like.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by sabrinaof4 View Post
    I also don't think any normal person is going to think, considering it's a comedy and who is in it, that it is a true picture of surrogacy.

:rotfl: Any 'normal' people? What are we then?:toothless

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane9996 View Post
    it's meant to be sill.
    It's stereo type comedy.
    Well said !! there are sooo many threads on this movie I even posted one months ago. This is sooo funny.
    Really I think the general public have some ideas of surrogacy or smart enough to not take a comedy as true to face information providing doucmentery. If that was the case all the paraody movies really need to stop being produced because the public is totally misinformed.
    Wait I take that back there are a FEW that will take it as gold but that speaks for it's self really, :@ those are ones that get their news from "Inquirer" there are always a few of them.
    Proud Surromommy to Triplet angels C,C & C
    Born 07/25&26/06 (angel) (angel) (angel) at 22 weeks

"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
    "Do or Do NOT there is no Try"~Yoda

The world goes round and round................