Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should lochia last?

Default How long should lochia last?

Kind of TMI…

Usually, when I have the post-delivery bleeding, its heavy and lasts until my post-baby OB visit at 6 weeks or beyond. I’ve been told that it lasts so long because I’m too active after delivery.

This time (baby #4) I’m 5 days post-delivery and I’m barely spotting. I need a panty liner but not an actual pad. I’m not taking it any easier than I have previously. I’ve been doing heavy cleaning, playing the Wii, and spending time on the treadmill.

I hate to complain because I’m not bleeding…but shouldn’t I be? Is having very little bleeding a sign that something is seriously wrong? Perhaps I'm paranoid...

How long did your lochia last? How long should it last?
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."

Mine lasted for a good 4-5 weeks. I have a friend that delivered recently though and she got all excited that hers only lasted a few days. After several days of no discharge, she started bleeding again and it lasted for a few weeks. She got excited too soon! :@

I bleed for alomst 6 weeks with all 4 of my deliveries but it is normally pretty heavy for less than a week then just lite for the rest of the time. I never take it easy either!!

I wouldn't say anything is wrong!! and after a day or so of lite it might pick back up for a day or so then slow back down some, ya never know!

"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream."
    After two years and 4 transfers, Graham was born on my birthday @ 8lb13oz 20in!

With my surrodaughter it only lasted for a few days -- maybe 4 or 5 at the most.......I will say that it lasted longer for my boys BUT (and I'm not making any medical claims here) I had an epidural with both of them and with my surrodaughter she was unmedicated so........

Don't pursue happiness ~ create it. (from my Fortune Cookie 9/25/09)

weeeeeeell, when my bleeding slowed to a trickle in the hospital, it returned to normal after passing lemon sized clots. :sick: Maybe you're "plugged" up. Sorry, so gross...

Thanks for the siggy, delphi!

About 6 weeks. I used a heating pad when I slept at night with my fourth. I know it seems totally counterintuitive but it really helped with the heaviness of the bleeding. (Just incase it picks up later.)

I guess I'll just assume this is normal and see what happens over the next few days...

With my surrodaughter it only lasted for a few days -- maybe 4 or 5 at the most.......I will say that it lasted longer for my boys BUT (and I'm not making any medical claims here) I had an epidural with both of them and with my surrodaughter she was unmedicated so........
    huh...my last three deliveries all had pitocin and epidural...this one was all on it's own and unmedicated...maybe that's the difference...

weeeeeeell, when my bleeding slowed to a trickle in the hospital, it returned to normal after passing lemon sized clots. Maybe you're "plugged" up. Sorry, so gross...
    That does NOT sound like fun...
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    That does NOT sound like fun...
    Oh, no, it was fine, really...I just figured out I should be taking it a little more easy...it didn't hurt or anything. ;^

It will come back and bite you in the butt when you least likely expect it.
    Mom to 5.
    TS 4X
    Lied to by IP's #4, hope they don't screw another person over.

You stop bleeding after delievery :rotfl:

Mine lasted 6 weeks solid and then I got my AF, sweet!

4/27/12
    :girl: 3/20/13 18w5d

ajnrl is offline Cycling for surrobabe #8!

omg woman you need to slow down!! :( i know you must feel good to be doing so much, but it will catch up to you. my bleeding always comes and goes...just when i think it's done BAM it is heavy again.
    Carla - GS to T&J - Holly & Elizabeth were born 4/9/08!
    Mom to Annie 12, Jamie & Nicky 11, and Riley 8
    GS to Bridget (9/01) & her brothers Jerred & Campbell (3/03)
    GS to Mia and Sydney (4/05)

After I had my surrson, it lasted for about 3 weeks and then I was done. And that seemed like a long time to me, after I had my son, I only had it for about 10 days or so.
    Traci (MommytoCandK) & Cory (missmoose) are my contact buddies.

I have a lot of weight to lose before I gain it all back for a surrogacy. Besides, I AM taking it easy – I haven’t been climbing or skiing or anything fun this winter …

I always bled for several weeks after my deliveries too, but then after my 4th baby, it only lasted about 1-1/2 weeks. I was nursing him, but my milk never really came in very well, even though I was doing all the same things I had done when nursing the others. I continued trying to nurse and pump for two months. My period returned much sooner than it had after the first three babies (a month after delivering).
    After baby number 5, I didn't pump or nurse or anything, and the bleeding lasted about a month, then tapered off, then I got my first period 2 days later (it figures LOL).

Siggy courtesy of NorthernIM

Following my last two deliveries, I bled medium flow or so for 3-4 days and then went to light flow for a few more days and then spotted for a couple of days. So just under two weeks postpartum.

From the looks of things now, that's the same route I'm taking this time around.
    TS x 3 - 03/08, 06/10 & 06/12

With all 3 of my boys, I had a lot of bleeding during & right after delivery... I was always completely done with the lochia by 2 wks pp; if you're concerned, then check with your OB... hopefully everything is just fine :hballon:

Okay, to update.. I'm 1 week pp and my lochia has stopped. I mean it went to brown and everything and other than a drop here and there in the past two days, it's seemingly done.

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mervl View Post
    Okay, to update.. I'm 1 week pp and my lochia has stopped. I mean it went to brown and everything and other than a drop here and there in the past two days, it's seemingly done.

Weird.
    OK, look, I'm starting to not like you! First you cause me milk-envy, now lochia-stopping-envy! It took me 4 1/2 weeks!! And there's still "a drop here and there"! UGH! :haha:

Quote Originally Posted by Jmommybear View Post
    OK, look, I'm starting to not like you! First you cause me milk-envy, now lochia-stopping-envy! It took me 4 1/2 weeks!! And there's still "a drop here and there"! UGH! :haha:
    :rotfl: @ "lochia-stopping-envy" :rotfl:

Does it matter that usually (we'll see this time!) whether I EBF, EP, etc. that I still get AF back around 5-6 weeks postpartum (and it IS AF!)? I mean, does that make you feel any better? :rotfl:

Quote Originally Posted by mervl View Post
    Does it matter that usually (we'll see this time!) whether I EBF, EP, etc. that I still get AF back around 5-6 weeks postpartum (and it IS AF!)? I mean, does that make you feel any better? :rotfl:
    :rotfl: NO! 'cause I EBF the last four of my kids and got mine around that time too! :haha: You watch! YOU won't get it and I will! :haha: