Thread: D&C, what do they do?

Default D&C, what do they do?

I am sorry if this is a silly question to some, but I was wondering what exactly do they do during a D&C and is it painful?

I had a D & C at the end of June & while it is a procedure that is medically necessary, it is MORE emotionally stressful than physically.

My OB put me under general anesthetia (sp?) so I was completely asleep for the whole thing. I don't know if that is the same for everyone, but I am sure if you were uncomfortable with being in the "twilight stage" that you could ask for general.

When I woke up it was all over & I was in no pain. They offered me pain pills, but I didn't need them.

What they do is a blind procedure (no u/s) where they go inside your uterus by dialating your cervix & scrape out everything in the uterus & suck it out with a tube. It is the same as they do an abortion only clearly the fetus has already died. I think the whole thing took 30 minutes.

I never bled afterwards & it takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks to get a period again.

*DO NOT HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX DURING THIS TIME*

That is how I got pregnant! Good luck! I really do wish you all the best. Like I said before, expect it to be more emotionally straining than physical so make sure you have a great support system there with you.

Exactly what Nicole said -- but I was not put under. I was given a relaxer -- like a valium and then they scraped and sucked.... :(

Wishing you healing vibes

Don't pursue happiness ~ create it. (from my Fortune Cookie 9/25/09)

It is done the same as an abortion. I held my cousins hand the whole time during her abortion, it was a horrible sound an situation to be in.

I had my D&C on Jan 14. It was an emergent procedure as I was bleeding severly. I had it done in the ER w/out any pain meds. I will admit it was very painful. They did not have to dilate me as I was already dilated enough. I had the suction D&C and the sounds were very hard to hear. It took about 10 minutes and I had light blleding for about 4 days after. I got my period exactly 4 weeks after the D&C.