Thread: Running a temp while on antibiotics? is this normal?

The land of the FREE ... because of the BRAVE!

Default Running a temp while on antibiotics? is this normal?

Hey.. Annabelle has had an ear infection for going on a month now.. she did her 10 days of amoxicillin which did nothing and is now on day 6 of augmentin (sp).. She is still snotty nosed and I just checked her temp and it is 100.0... I am not freaked out but it does seem odd that she would run a temp (generally bc temps are a result of fighting an infection, which is what the antibiotic is supposed to be doing) while taking an antibiotic..

I would love your thoughts? is this normal?

Carolyn

It's normal for a low grade fever, even though she is taking abx, her body is still trying to fight the infection. Lots of fluids and tylenol/motrin should help, I hope she feels better soon there is nothing worse than your baby being sick.

Her infection could be viral and therefore the antibiotics would not affect it as antibiotics only help with bacterial infections.

I hope that sweetie feels better soon!:sunshine:
    :2cents: ~ Kim

Life is Short! Live for Today! Forgive! Laugh Uncontrollably! Love Deeply!
    Kiss Slowly! And Never Regret Those Things That Made You Smile!

A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.

Thanks for the advice and support! :)... I guess I will just wait until she finishes the meds..... and then start to stress if the fever isnt gone.. :)
    BTW, what do you do for a viral infection?

Sorry to hear your little one isn't feeling well. Fever in and of itself is rarely dangerous unless it rises extremely high (most medical folks would consider over 105 degrees F concerning). In fact, it may serve an important purpose. Most bacteria and viruses find it hard to replicate at higher than normal body temperatures. The main danger from fever is rapid dehydration. The human body uses twice as much water with every degree of temperature rise. Because of this, most Drs now recommend that we balance the risks and benefits of fever by only treating and attempting to reduce fevers greater than 101 degrees F.

My problem is not finding the words, it's keeping my mouth shut!

Quote Originally Posted by totallynew2this View Post
    Thanks for the advice and support! :)... I guess I will just wait until she finishes the meds..... and then start to stress if the fever isnt gone.. :)
    BTW, what do you do for a viral infection?
    Let it run it's course. Antibiotics don't help with viruses and can hurt in the long run.

Will do.. my only concern is last time, we let it go (running a low grade fever for a few days) after the antibiotic course only to have her temp rise to 104.3!!! and a trip to the ER... I guess this is just my first of many illnesses.. :)

Lots and lots fluids, tylenol & motrin are really the only things you can do for a viral infection.

It can be really scarey to see our kids sick. Good luck. If you don't feel comfortable with anything at all it never hurts to have her looked at again. I was a nervous wreck with my 1st one and used to joke with the pedi I was going to live in her waiting room so I wouldn't have to travel there anymore.

How do I get fluids in her when she likes to "drink" water out of her cup only to let it run down her chest? she does drink some but I think she would much rather play than drink.... I thought about giving her only formula bottles (no food) to get more fluids but that to me seems like I am going backward. she wont take water from a bottle (too thin) and she doesnt really like juice...

Pedialyte popsicles
    small sips from a spoon every few minutes
    diluted juice frozen into a popsicle (the shape/coldness may peak her interest)

ooh.. good ideas!! Thanks.. I new SMOers would know!! :)

Default call me over-reactive but....

we are going to back to the Dr today... Annabelle woke with at temp of 102.8 and that is too high to just let go... DH deploys Thursday and I am REALLY wanting her to be well before he goes!! Wish me luck... And thanks for all your support and ideas!

Default try homeopathic remedies for ear infections.

There are two remedies that are commonly used to cure childhood ear infections.

They are totally safe with NO side effects, at worst they do nothing, but mostly they clear up the infection.

Belladonna 30C if she has red cheeks, or a flushed red face, and a fever.

Pulsatilla 30C for Ear infections without fever.

Put one little teeny pellet in the child's drinking water.

You can get these at whole foods, or a pharmica pharmacy.

These are the two most commonly used that usually do the trick. there is NO taste.
    If you want more info or have different symptoms and want to try a repertory email me
    gerald.marica@sbcglobal.net

petrov.