PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever gotten pregnant after an ablation??

mlturk
01-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I was wondering if anybody here has had or has known anybody who got pregnant after having an uterine ablation? I am asking for myself,as far as adding to my family. Last summer I had an emergency situation where I had heavy bleeding due to uterine fibroids that I didnt know I had and my OB met me at the hospital and we did the procedure and he said it wasnt bad in there at all but I havent had a period since then.

I appreciate any input as I really would like to have another bab:confused: y

susanb573
01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
My coworker had an ablation and has never had a menstrual cycle since. She still ovulates (she can feel it) but the surface of her uterus will not allow her lining to grow. If you are not bleeding each month, I suspect its the same for you.

TRSTNKAY
01-07-2012, 09:35 AM
After an Ablation you are unable to become pregnant because they burn the lining of the uterus and it scars therefore an embrio cannot attach to the lining. When they do this procedure they are supposed to tell you that you will become permanently sterile. The goal is to not have a period at all though some woman still have a light period. And yes you still ovulate. We do these Ablations all the time in our office. I work in an OB GYN office.

kanbangirl
01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
It is my understanding that it is pretty rare but can happen. Getting pregnant after an ablation can depend on how good of a job was done in the first place. (Still having a period is a better sign.) I have also heard that the longer you wait, the better chance you have of your lining coming back.

With that said, getting pregnant after an ablation is really risky to you and baby. Some women get pregnant, only to lose the baby half way through the pregnancy because the lining can't hold on to the placenta.

Best bet would be to talk with your Dr. I am really sorry :(

thefreds
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
My mom had it done and her dr told her she wouldn't get a cycle again 3 months later she started cycling again. So she had a second dr do it again. same thing. 3 months later she started her cycle again. Finally she told them to take it all out. It could happen I guess.

GSOh
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if anybody here has had or has known anybody who got pregnant after having an uterine ablation? I am asking for myself,as far as adding to my family. Last summer I had an emergency situation where I had heavy bleeding due to uterine fibroids that I didnt know I had and my OB met me at the hospital and we did the procedure and he said it wasnt bad in there at all but I havent had a period since then.

I appreciate any input as I really would like to have another bab:confused: y

According to The Mayo Clinic's website:
Future fertility
Many women stop having periods after endometrial ablation, but pregnancy is still possible in some women. However, these pregnancies usually end in miscarriage because the lining of the uterus has been damaged. Women who want to become pregnant in the future should not undergo endometrial ablation. Some women choose to undergo a sterilization procedure at the time of endometrial ablation to prevent pregnancy.

I'm sorry your OB did not explain the procedure to you.

Holly
01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
After I had the miscarriage I had heavy bleeding. My Doctor performed an ablation and told me I would not be able to have any more children. It did not work the first time and I had the procedure done again and have not had a cycle since.

roadfamily6now
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Future fertility
Many women stop having periods after endometrial ablation, but pregnancy is still possible in some women. However, these pregnancies usually end in miscarriage because the lining of the uterus has been damaged. Women who want to become pregnant in the future should not undergo endometrial ablation. Some women choose to undergo a sterilization procedure at the time of endometrial ablation to prevent pregnancy.

I agree. HUGS

gestjenn
01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I have had a few friends have an ablation and all were told that if they were by slight chance get pregnant they need to seek medical care right away. Either they'll miscarry because of the thin lining or they could rupture because of the thining of the uterus. Apparently it's very rare to get pregnant after ablation and even more dangerous if you do.

I am sorry you are in this situation. Did your doctor not discuss this with you prior to doing the procedure??

Mom2Boys
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
After an Ablation you are unable to become pregnant because they burn the lining of the uterus and it scars therefore an embrio cannot attach to the lining. When they do this procedure they are supposed to tell you that you will become permanently sterile. The goal is to not have a period at all though some woman still have a light period. And yes you still ovulate. We do these Ablations all the time in our office. I work in an OB GYN office.

The ablation does not make women "permanently sterile".

Future fertility

The above is correct. Since the ablation destroys the lining of your uterus, the uterus will be unable to support a pregnancy (and it can be extremely dangerous if you were to get pregnant after an ablation). But it doesn't stop you from ovulating or GETTING pregnant.

Keatla
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
When I was pregnant with the twins and in the hospital for a couple of days my roommate was a woman who had an ablation but was just past 20 weeks pregnant. She was on STRICT bed rest and they hoped the baby would make it to viability.

TRSTNKAY
01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
The ablation does not make women "permanently sterile".

The above is correct. Since the ablation destroys the lining of your uterus, the uterus will be unable to support a pregnancy (and it can be extremely dangerous if you were to get pregnant after an ablation). But it doesn't stop you from ovulating or GETTING pregnant.

Well I worded that wrong I dont mean permanently but I was trying to get at the point that you should not get pregnant after an ablation because it does generaly keep you from being able to acheive a pregnancy at all.

mlturk
01-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Thank you all sooo much!! I knew what the results would/could be and I was hoping for a tiny miracle!!

and I havent had any bleeding whatsoever:( , so I guess there is no chance:(

But everything happens for a reason!!

Mom2Boys
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Well I worded that wrong I dont mean permanently but I was trying to get at the point that you should not get pregnant after an ablation because it does generaly keep you from being able to acheive a pregnancy at all.

I still don't agree. It has nothing to do with fertility. You still ovulate and release an egg (if ovaries are working properly). An ablation doesn't affect the ovaries at all. Therefore, it doesn't make achieving a pregnancy impossible.

The issue is with the lining of the uterus. IF an embryo did implant, it could be extremely dangerous to the mother (and to the developing fetus).

You make it sound as if pregnancy is not possible with an ablation, and I believe that is completely incorrect.

Yes, you should NOT get pregnant after an ablation, but it is NOT a form of birth control. And it should not be used as a birth control - but I think any doctor worth their weight would tell their patients this.

TRSTNKAY
01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I still don't agree. It has nothing to do with fertility. You still ovulate and release an egg (if ovaries are working properly). An ablation doesn't affect the ovaries at all. Therefore, it doesn't make achieving a pregnancy impossible.

The issue is with the lining of the uterus. IF an embryo did implant, it could be extremely dangerous to the mother (and to the developing fetus).

You make it sound as if pregnancy is not possible with an ablation, and I believe that is completely incorrect.

Yes, you should NOT get pregnant after an ablation, but it is NOT a form of birth control. And it should not be used as a birth control - but I think any doctor worth their weight would tell their patients this.

Ok I dont mean that you cannot get pregnant as we know you still ovulate however due to the lining yes it does make it hard to acheive a pregnancy. I know a pregnancy can be acheived we have pt who this has happened to and it did not end well. I know it has nothing to do with fertility which is why I said I worded it wrong in my PP. And it is hard to acheive a pregnancy due to lining issues.

TRSTNKAY
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Also when I said sterile I was refering to the lining not the ovaries/reproductive organs. This is why I said I worded it wrong.

L&K'sGS
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I still get a regular period every month since my ablation. More like they were befoer I had any children (my bleeding got worse and worse every month since the first set of twins)

That said-my OB/GYN said had I not had my tubes tied, I would need to still be on some type of bc. Ablation is not a form of bc.

jenna
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
We have had a few patients at my work who had ablations and got pregnant. It can happen but rare.

babiee_4_us
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I had an ablation done before my hysterectomy and I didn't have another period after that. It didn't fix my problem so had surgery short while later, but Dr. did tell me that there was a remote chance I could still become pregnant and if that happened it would be dangerous. :(..

ablationpreg
02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
I had an ablation and several years later had an 'oops' pregnancy. It took 8 weeks along before I found out, primarily because I no longer had periods. The fetus grew in an abnormal way (through and around scar tissue from the ablation) and no longer had a heartbeat. I went in for a D&C because the Dr. felt that I would not miscarry completely on my own. During the procedure I started hemorrhaging and needed an emergency uterine artery embolization to stop the bleeding. It was very close to me needing an emergency hysterectomy. I was very lucky. If I had not already been at the hospital and started to miscarry on my own, I easily could have died from the severe and sudden blood loss.

If you have had an ablation, please take all precautions not to get pregnant. It was an incredibly scary experience.

amylynn
02-26-2013, 10:35 PM
There is a woman at my church who had a baby almost 2 years ago that had an ablation. She didn't think she could get pregnant and didn't use any birth control. She was in her early 40;s. She went to 38 weeks but had a c-section due to the ablasion. It was a very high risk pregnancy and they were scared the whole time. She had the ablasion for 8 years when she got pregnant.

emma
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
I had an ablation in November, it was made very clear to me that I should only have it done if I never wished to become pregnant. I had my tubes clipped at the same time....thankfully I have had fantastic results and it was an easy decision for me as I can't be pregnant for other medical reasons ! :)

missbeth
02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
There is a woman at my church who had a baby almost 2 years ago that had an ablation. She didn't think she could get pregnant and didn't use any birth control. She was in her early 40;s. She went to 38 weeks but had a c-section due to the ablasion. It was a very high risk pregnancy and they were scared the whole time. She had the ablasion for 8 years when she got pregnant.

I know some one who had an ablasion and got pregnant. Her pregnancy was high risk and i believe she had a c-section but the baby is fine.