PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with sharps while traveling???

westernsurro
10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
i just realized i have no idea what to do with my used sharps while i'm traveling....?

Starfish
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Put them in a plastic bottle until you can dispose of them safely.

3S_Lady85
10-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Lol, I bought a hard tin that had Doritos in it (I kid you not) because they didn't give me a sharps container with my meds. I'm thinking of going out and buying another tin just for the flight (I haven't seen the small canisters for them in the longest time!) having a snack for the flight and something to keep my needles in :-D

alsgurl04
10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I just brought my sharps container with me.

Rebekah Rose
10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
A clean soda or empty water bottle works well! :)

mom3boysnewgs
10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I forgot to bring my sharps container when we went on vacation after I started Lupron. I found that a lot of public restrooms have sharps containers. I would hold onto the sharps until I found one. Good luck!

westernsurro
10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
thanks ladies! i am not going to take my container with me because it's bigger than a big box of tissues and i am only taking a carry on bag tonight. i'll keep it with me until i can get rid of it, which i am sure they will take it at the dr.'s office.

alsgurl04
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
thanks ladies! i am not going to take my container with me because it's bigger than a big box of tissues and i am only taking a carry on bag tonight. i'll keep it with me until i can get rid of it, which i am sure they will take it at the dr.'s office.

Gotcha. Then the bottle thing would work. :)

Momof4boys
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Do the airports ever give you a hard time about flying with medicine and needles?

3S_Lady85
10-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Do the airports ever give you a hard time about flying with medicine and needles?

I was wondering too. My clinic is sending me a note for travel and I plan on putting the needles in my checked luggage and all the meds in my carry on. We'll see how it goes in a few days lol.

Rebekah Rose
10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I never had issues with it - I always made sure everything was in original packaging showing the prescription in my name and then just packed them usually in my bathroom bag, I never pointed them out and no one ever pulled them out to look at them.

Wendyemo
10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
They didn't bat an eyelash at the meds or needles. However they had to check and double check my shoes! and then call someone else over to check my shoes! :@

Edited to fix spelling

cousinmommy
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
They didn't bat an eyelash at the meds or needles. However they had to check and double check my shoes! and then call someone else over to check my shoes! :@

Edited to fix spelling

Those must have been some awesome (or awesomely suspicious) shoes.:rotfl:

Steffipooh
10-06-2011, 08:53 PM

I never had a problem flying with meds and needles. I didn't carry the used ones home though, I disposed of those in the airline bathroom sharps container. But my meds went through security just fine. Needles too. ANd I never had a note from the doctor either.

chrisallen
10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I carried on my meds & needles (no issues) and left my used needles on the bathroom counter in the hotel. I figured the hotel would have a sharps disposal somewhere? I can't be the first person who had injections to do while traveling!

*~FAITH~*
10-07-2011, 07:48 AM
I was wondering too. My clinic is sending me a note for travel and I plan on putting the needles in my checked luggage and all the meds in my carry on. We'll see how it goes in a few days lol.

I have made several trips on the plane with needles and meds and never once had anyone even ask about it! I always get a letter from the RE stating that I am a patient of theirs and am on inject-able meds , therefore, must carry them on for travel. I carry the letter in the the case with the meds and needles. My one HUGE suggestion for you is DO NOT put your needles in your checked luggage! If for some freaky reason, your luggage doesn't show up where it's supposed to, you don't want to be left with just the meds and no way to give them! Take all your meds AND needles in your carry on to ensure you will have them when you need them. Oh, and a empty water/ soda bottle works GREAT for transporting the used needles.

Mom2Boys
10-07-2011, 08:15 AM
I just brought my sharps container with me.

Ditto that.

westernsurro
10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
they didn't even bat an eyelash at my needles and lupron in my carry on, no one said a thing to me about them. i just stuck my sharp in my billfold thing (capped) and carried to the dr.'s office with me to give to them, and of course forgot. but they had sharps containers in the airport, so that's where i ended up getting rid of them :)

my ips had no idea you couldn't just throw them in the trash, when she cycled and did ivf a few years ago they never sent her a sharps container or instructed her how to get rid of them! i was like, uh, heck no, you can't just throw them in the trash!

Momof4boys
10-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks ladies!

Bsyphus
10-07-2011, 10:55 PM
My one HUGE suggestion for you is DO NOT put your needles in your checked luggage! If for some freaky reason, your luggage doesn't show up where it's supposed to, you don't want to be left with just the meds and no way to give them! Take all your meds AND needles in your carry on to ensure you will have them when you need them.

I agree with this. I transferred in Europe and was gone for 8 days. I carried all meds on with me, and thankfully, because when I got home, by bag got lost by the airline and was gone for 2 days. I would have been screwed if all my meds were in there.

SkiBunny
10-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I have used a hard eyeglasses case. It is very easy to open and empty when i get home. When it is closed nobody sees what is in there!!

details
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Check with your airline. When we flew my airline said that all meds must be in your carry on along with your pharmacy label/prescription. I didn't have any issues at all. The airport restrooms had sharps containers so you can dispose of them there :)

AlwaysHopeful
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I am kind of bumping this for anyone else with upcoming travel, as i know I was wondering the same thing... I had no idea how to travel with my stuff!